American man, 79, dies in fall from motorbike

snoop1130

American man, 79, dies in fall from motorbike

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1582791484_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers at the scene on Saiyuan Rd in Rawai yesterday morning (Feb 27). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Police have yet to confirm what caused the death of a 79-year-old American man who fell from his motorbike in Rawai yesterday morning (Feb 26).

The man* suffered severe head trauma when he landed on the road, in front of the Tesco Lotus Express on Saiyuan Rd, ar about 9am, Chalong Police Chief Col Sarawut Chuprasit confirmed.

However, police have yet to determin what caused the man to fall.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/american-man-79-dies-in-fall-from-motorbike-75025.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-27
  • Sad 1

Riding a vehicle everywhere has adverse effects on your physical and mental well being. 

Each outing on your motorbike, means more atrophy in your legs, to the point where one day, you cant walk 2 blocks to a 7-11 to buy a 2 big Leos and a pack of smokes.  ????✌️

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

You realise you're not obligated to buy one of those cheap helmets. I have a few friends who went online and ordered some expensive helmets from the US.  Other's have bought durable/high end helmets at shops here in Thailand not the 200 baht cheap ones in Tesco or BigC

Helmets are not the issue.

If you're incompetent a suit of armour won't help you

Some people shouldn't be riding a motorbike 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I was out on a motorbike some four years ago now when I was early fifties. I was driving on a wide and clear road on the way home.

A truck in front of me indicated to go left and I slowed as opposed to overtaking. He changed his mind and accelerated. I sped up. He then for no reason slammed his brakes on.

I drove to his left to avoid a collision and into a side ditch. I ended up battered and bruised for three weeks. Very painful

Since that day I quit riding I always now take the pickup and have just completely quit using bikes even for a short distance. The drivers in Thailand are so bad as a rule and completely unpredictable.

RIP to the old fella. Sad to hear. The state of safety helmets in Thailand, i doubt if wearing one of those 200-300 baht things they sell would have saved him

It is going backward...more and more motorcyclists are not using helmet. No law enforcers on roads anymore.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

As one gets old, it is pretty easy to stumble and fall and hit one's head on the ground, whether on or off a bike. 

A friend of mine drove by and saw the aftermath of this accident.

Looked like a car hit him and ended his life.  A farang as well.

One must understand that Rawai is an expat community where many of them just go take a coffee in a morning to chat with friends. Slowly. Many therefore do not feel the need to wear a helmet. Just a short drive away.

Taking the highway might trigger in their mind the need to wear a helmet.

Reckless drivers are numerous in the small streets in Rawai. They have no time. They go unpunished.

This fellow did not have much time left, but was enjoying it as best he could.

Requiescat in pacem.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gervais Bilodeau said:

It is going backward...more and more motorcyclists are not using helmet. No law enforcers on roads anymore.

That is contrary to the impression I have. Compared to 10 or 20 years ago many more people are wearing helmets.

19 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I was out on a motorbike some four years ago now when I was early fifties. I was driving on a wide and clear road on the way home.

A truck in front of me indicated to go left and I slowed as opposed to overtaking. He changed his mind and accelerated. I sped up. He then for no reason slammed his brakes on.

I drove to his left to avoid a collision and into a side ditch. I ended up battered and bruised for three weeks. Very painful

Since that day I quit riding I always now take the pickup and have just completely quit using bikes even for a short distance. The drivers in Thailand are so bad as a rule and completely unpredictable.

RIP to the old fella. Sad to hear. The state of safety helmets in Thailand, i doubt if wearing one of those 200-300 baht things they sell would have saved him

You can buy good helmets here too if you want! Of course its safer just to avoid bikes.. i still never understand why people dont rent cars or buy one if you are living here. So much safer than bikes...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Neither silly not bad taste.  Anyone who rides a bike, especially in Thailand, and doesn't have enough sense to wear a helmet, gets no sympathy from me. 

Wearing a helmet to ride a scooter is like wearing a condom to do a crack whore.  Sure, it's a good idea if you choose to live dangerously.  But you cross the safety Rubicon when you throw your leg over a scooter instead of buckling up in a 4 wheeler. 

The helmet is just lipstick on a pig.

Strangely though, I still have sympathy for people caught up in tragic events.  Even those caused by their own choices.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Wearing a helmet to ride a scooter is like wearing a condom to do a crack whore.  Sure, it's a good idea if you choose to live dangerously.  But you cross the safety Rubicon when you throw your leg over a scooter instead of buckling up in a 4 wheeler. 

The helmet is just lipstick on a pig.

Strangely though, I still have sympathy for people caught up in tragic events.  Even those caused by their own choices.

Makes no sense

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, Just1Voice said:
On 2/27/2020 at 11:53 PM, Scouse123 said:

A very silly and bad taste comment to make on the death of a human being

I would never want to be around you,

Neither silly not bad taste.  Anyone who rides a bike, especially in Thailand, and doesn't have enough sense to wear a helmet, gets no sympathy from me. 

In the context of the OP (did you read the link?) Scouse123 was absolutely right.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, Just1Voice said:

Where, exactly, do you buy a helmet in Thailand that will actually offer some protection, smart ass?

Don't be so ignorant.

18 hours ago, claffey said:

You can buy good helmets here too if you want! Of course its safer just to avoid bikes.. i still never understand why people dont rent cars or buy one if you are living here. So much safer than bikes...

Bikes are faster, no parking problems, cheaper.

I have both, and often prefer the bike due to the above reasons.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

A friend of mine drove by and saw the aftermath of this accident.

Looked like a car hit him and ended his life.

Obviously, neither you nor your friend bothered to read the linked full report?  No other vehicle was involved.

Edited by Just Weird