American man, 79, dies in fall from motorbike

snoop1130

19 hours ago, stevenl said:

That is contrary to the impression I have. Compared to 10 or 20 years ago many more people are wearing helmets.

I've noticed an increase in Bangkok but not Pattaya including farang on big bikes screaming through soi buhakao 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:26 AM, BritManToo said:

I need to put my crash helmet on to go down the stairs.

Back to the OP,

Poor chap, but he had a good run and the end was quick, I hope I finish fast.

True. Whatever the circumstances, if you finish fast, it is a blessing!

On 2/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, Scouse123 said:

And spoken from such a superior being that I suppose you have never made a mistake in your life?

Appalling your lack of compassion and self righteousness.

I didn't apportion blame, I merely gave my reasons as to why I no longer ride a motorbike.

I was never that great on them anyway and think it for the best, when up here there are boys 9 and 10 years old, tearing around the roads and villages.

I feel mine was an accident waiting to happen. If anything I was an over cautious rider which in itself can be a danger.

When I was young, rode bikes like mad. Come 50, bikes were history!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, VYCM said:

Helmets are not the issue.

If you're incompetent a suit of armour won't help you

Some people shouldn't be riding a motorbike 

I've seen people renting big bikes in Pattaya who'd obviously never ridden a smaller bike before.

Why do people think that you can do what you want here?

It should be common sense to wear a helmet.  

I agree with the one poster- Som Nam Na. It's your own fault.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:34 AM, Skallywag said:

Riding a vehicle everywhere has adverse effects on your physical and mental well being. 

Each outing on your motorbike, means more atrophy in your legs, to the point where one day, you cant walk 2 blocks to a 7-11 to buy a 2 big Leos and a pack of smokes.  ????✌️

What a Load of ---- !!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, impulse said:

Wearing a helmet to ride a scooter is like wearing a condom to do a crack whore.  Sure, it's a good idea if you choose to live dangerously.  But you cross the safety Rubicon when you throw your leg over a scooter instead of buckling up in a 4 wheeler. 

The helmet is just lipstick on a pig.

Strangely though, I still have sympathy for people caught up in tragic events.  Even those caused by their own choices.

If you care to look at the accident statistics, more road deaths on bikes here come from helmetless riders. Not just lipstick.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Come 50?

Are you really trying to say that people 50 plus are too old to ride a (big) bike? 

I'd say everyone should drive a bike that fits their capabilities. I'd no more think of getting on a big bike than going for a swim off Lady Julia Percy island.

Rode many many bikes in Aus for many years - first one was an old postie step-through when I was about 10. When I got into my late 50s there was a definite reduction in reaction time and anticipation - no more track days after that - and the sports bike was replaced by a tourer.  Fast forward a few years to living in Thailand - after driving around Chiang Mai for a week, there was no way I was going to ride a bike in Thiland. One of the few advantages of living in Aust while I wait to qualify for the pension so we can then get another place in Thailand - the roads are very safe.  But if I ever was to get a bike in Thailand, it would be only 1 of 2 things. Either a big tourer that I would only ride with mates on trips, or a 3 wheeler scooter for short trips around.  Plus a proper summer helmet, lightweight gloves and lightweight boots for the scooter - full kit for the tourer.  The worst fall I ever had was many years ago at about 80kph around a corner when I hit some oil on the road - the bike hit the armco so hard it was a right off - but the expensive gear paid for itself right there and then - sore has hell for weeks with several big bruises - but lesson learned. Never ride a bike without a helmet - it happens so fast and the first thing that hits the road is your helmet (then hips and arms/shoulders). Hips arms and shoulders bounce and can usually be repaired - but the old noggin does not - it breaks. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd say everyone should drive a bike that fits their capabilities. I'd no more think of getting on a big bike than going for a swim off Lady Julia Percy island.

Had to look that up - man that is not a place anyone should go to swim ????

On 2/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, Gervais Bilodeau said:

It is going backward...more and more motorcyclists are not using helmet. No law enforcers on roads anymore.

Nah, there's a lot more people wearing helmets these days.

Also, there's quite a few shops that sell top of the range helmets now.

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Is this real said:

Where, exactly, do you buy a helmet in Thailand that will actually offer some protection, smart ass?

Don't be so ignorant.

Prasut Big Bike in Kathu's just one of a few places.

Edited by beechbum

18 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Considering that one can buy a HJC or Arai or Shoei or AGV or Schuberth here, I guess the problem must be your head. Can you buy boots to fit?

Yet, you still do not say where such a helmet in a grown up size can be purchased.  You don't know because you've never tried.  I've rarely seen, in Phuket, a Shoei or Arai.  And, never in a larger or larger.

47 minutes ago, Is this real said:

Yet, you still do not say where such a helmet in a grown up size can be purchased.  You don't know because you've never tried.  I've rarely seen, in Phuket, a Shoei or Arai.  And, never in a larger or larger.

You have been given many suggestions on here, also on Phuket.

56 minutes ago, Is this real said:

Find the size that is best for you and order from Lazada, they got it all. 

I owned Honda dealerships in America and sold many helmets.

Learned many things about buying a helmet.

1. Always try on the one you are going to buy.  This means no mail order.  If it doesn't fit, it's not good for you.  The same brand, style, and size helmets can fit differently.

2. An inexpensive helmet will do nothing more than make you look better in the casket.  It will do nothing if your head actually has a hard impact.

3. If the helmet is in a crash, throw it away.  They are only made to protect one time.

4.  Even the best helmets lose their protection capabilities after 4-5 years even without ever being in a crash.

Shops in Thailand don't carry XL and larger helmets because there is no real market for them.  Smaller people have smaller heads and Thais are never going to pay B15,000+ for a helmet.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Is this real said:

1. Always try on the one you are going to buy.  This means no mail order.  If it doesn't fit, it's not good for you.  The same brand, style, and size helmets can fit differently.

2. An inexpensive helmet will do nothing more than make you look better in the casket.  It will do nothing if your head actually has a hard impact.

3. If the helmet is in a crash, throw it away.  They are only made to protect one time.

4.  Even the best helmets lose their protection capabilities after 4-5 years even without ever being in a crash.

Shops in Thailand don't carry XL and larger helmets because there is no real market for them.  Smaller people have smaller heads and Thais are never going to pay B15,000+ for a helmet.

And again you're wilfully ignoring suggestions made. On top of that, you keep spouting nonsense, 'shops in Thailand don't carry xl and larger helmets'.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, Is this real said:

No problem getting helmets here. 

94DE3108-7846-4C78-A5BA-B0FE4D1A6E9D.jpeg

On 2/28/2020 at 6:51 PM, stevenl said:

That is contrary to the impression I have. Compared to 10 or 20 years ago many more people are wearing helmets.

They only wear them to avoid a fine. If there were no road blocks and fines, very, very few would wear a helmet.