Girlfriends loan from Thaksin government

So my Gf tells me her mom needs to pay back a loan from when Thaksin ruled. There are some things that i need to understand and even though her English is ok she is making me more confused. Every year she needs to put in 25000 bht in bank and then after 2 weeks she gets this money again. Im asking her why? Isnt it easier to just continue to pay of 400bht every month? She says if she does this she doesnt have to pay interest. Im telling her that theres no bank in the world that would let people borrow money for 1 year and if you put it back 2 weeks before the year has ended, then you dont have to pay the interest rate. She tells me many in Thailand are doing the same so i hope that someone has some a wife or gf, that can explain this phenomenon to me. This is not an trust issue btw.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Nothing you need to understand, it's not your loan, so don't pay it.

Im getting back the money after 2 weeks sohis isnt a trust thing. I trust her but i need to understand what she isnt able to tell me.

• Like 1

There'll be an excuse why you don't get the money back.

Holy cow Batman, it's almost like I'm psychic and can know the future!

Oh i know. I already warned her for that and told her if theres any excuse that she couldnt get the money out again etc then this would be the end. But i have a good and stable relationship so 25000bht i have. Its still not an issue but its more about the logics

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but I'm prepared to bet money she wants 25k more than a 'stable relationship'.

Lol. lets get this straight. I had an Bar in her name. Licenses, contracts etc in her name. All new and worth 400000bht. I sold it after i understood that being drunk 6 weeks in a row wasnt me. Not once did she protest and said its you money so you do what you want. She is the only girl that when i call her she answers in 2 second on videocall and i see her work in theirs familys field. not 2 min but 2 sec so i have a good relationsship with someone i trust after 8 years in Thailand. And i had a couple of the bad batches for sure ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never heard of any such kind of financial arrangement for Thais involving government loans.

Is it not one of those Village loan schemes,Thaksin gave a lot of money

out to the Villages,as he was using Taxpayers money to buy votes for himself.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

I don't get why you've posted here.

You say you trust her, it's a piffling sum if you have 400K to play around with bars with; if you can afford to take that loss, lend it to her, have a good few weeks, if you get it back, no harm, no foul.

If you don't get it back and can't afford to take such a hit, then maybe you should be looking at a different life. 

If you're asking about the nature of the loan, that may be difficult as Thaksin tried so many schemes to try and buy popularity (remember the buying Liverpool scam?) and frankly it was difficult to keep up with the villain and his weekly schemes/scams/frauds....

"I don't know, but sometimes I get this really bad feeling, some of the things we did over here - I told the Padre - I like it over here, but" ('Bunny', a character (soon to die) in my favourite movie "Platoon". (PS - I've been married to my Thai lady for 20 years - I too trust her with my life & we have kids, but then I'm in Oz now, not LOS). "I've got a bad feeling on this one" is another line from that same movie, by the useless Sergeant "O'Neil". "I don't know if I'm going to make it out of here".  Maybe I'm a cynic. I lived in CM for 25 years - there was a village fund thing, but I thought it ended after Mr Chinaman ran away. Maybe I'm wrong ?

12 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

I don't get why you've posted here.

You say you trust her, it's a piffling sum if you have 400K to play around with bars with; if you can afford to take that loss, lend it to her, have a good few weeks, if you get it back, no harm, no foul.

If you don't get it back and can't afford to take such a hit, then maybe you should be looking at a different life. 

If you're asking about the nature of the loan, that may be difficult as Thaksin tried so many schemes to try and buy popularity (remember the buying Liverpool scam?) and frankly it was difficult to keep up with the villain and his weekly schemes/scams/frauds....

Yes i try to understand the nature of the loan. Its an village loan and i dont understand the reason why she has to pay back and then take out again. No logic

Ok. So now i asked if she have any paper from this loan. She said yes so i will upload it and hopefully someone can help me out. The simple logic that you can borrow money without interest is for me unheard of. Actually the bank is losing money that way

Edited by sead

Just now, sanuk711 said:

Thailand-----If you love something, set it free. If it returns, it probably can't pay its loans off.............

still people seems to missunderstand my issue. My issue is to understand how you can skip to pay interest on a loan simply by pay back the loan before the 1 year loan agreement

21 minutes ago, sead said:

still people seems to missunderstand my issue. My issue is to understand how you can skip to pay interest on a loan simply by pay back the loan before the 1 year loan agreement

What's not to understand?

Money grows on trees in Thailand. 

Well, at least that's your stable and trustful girlfriend has been telling you.

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

What's not to understand?

Money grows on trees in Thailand. 

Well, at least that's your stable and trustful girlfriend has been telling you.

Seems to me that people have a hard time to accept there can be stable and trustful relationships in Thailand. And so off topic. just Sorry if you had only bad experiences but hey, i guess you have to fail a couple of times until you find some for yourself. Gl btw

And please if you dont have anything to say about what im asking then just skip it to another post

45 minutes ago, Susco said:

Like I said already, this has to to with the village fund.

Thaksin gave 1 million to every village in Thailand, and i think it was repeated once thereafter, but they had to use the funds to to improve the community.

Some villages would issue interest free loans for 1 year, and if you pay back at the end of the year you can qualify for another loan on the same conditions.

At least that is how it was explained to me several years ago

Yep. This is pretty much the situation all throughout Issan. I think every village did this. It was basically free money. All you have to do is show that you can come up with the money for a few weeks every year, and the loan exists in perpetuity until you die. Then it gets written off. It was a brilliant free money scam, and due to qustionable modern accounting methods that treat loans and cash as the same thing, there was no official cost to the government to do it. The money was simply distributed to the villages, where it still exists (on paper anyway.) The accounting only shows slowly over many years as the people who were given the grants loans die off.

They are asking you for the money because it is cheaper than hitting up the local loan shark. They'll find a way to come up with the cash for a week even if you say no, but they won't like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Like I said already, this has to to with the village fund.

Thaksin gave 1 million to every village in Thailand, and i think it was repeated once thereafter, but they had to use the funds to to improve the community.

Some villages would issue interest free loans for 1 year, and if you pay back at the end of the year you can qualify for another loan on the same conditions.

At least that is how it was explained to me several years ago

I understand the scheme is still in operation today all but under a different name.

The government continue to fund it and the members can receive up to 50000 baht at an interest of 0.01 % for 3 years.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Yep. This is pretty much the situation all throughout Issan. I think every village did this. It was basically free money. All you have to do is show that you can come up with the money for a few weeks every year, and the loan exists in perpetuity until you die.

OP needs to get his girlfriend out of that loan ASAP. What a disaster.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well he has said that he has already trusted her with a lot more

than 25K, like i said they are not all the same,32 years we have

been together,and I would trust her with my life,and I bet there

are plenty more happily married men on here who will say the same,

maybe you need to make better choices .

regards Worgeordie

+ 1

• Thanks 1