Khon Kaen Airport - internal flight - check-in - baggage

Speedo1968

Could anyone please tell me how early I need to check-in for flight from Khon Kaen to Bangkok with Thai Lion ?

I have paid for ( when booking my ticket ) extra baggage ( 10kg ) at check-in, as I have a small backpack ( laptop ) and a small hand-carry baggage which, may be over 7kg but is within size guidelines, which I wish to check-in not carry on board.

I last flew internal about 5 years ago.
For many years I used to fly multiple times per year from UK to the Middle East, ASPAC countries and China never had an issue.  
Now being a bit longer in the tooth I am a bit concerned about not having my bag with me when arriving in Bangkok.

I am confused by the following "Terms and Conditions" items 4 and 5.
As a native English speaker the terms seem contradictory.    Does it mean I can or cannot check in baggage when I check in at the counter ?

Has anyone had problems of baggage not arriving at destination ?

Lion Baggage can be booked via website lionairthai.com, call center (+662-529-9999), and ticket counters.

1. For group traveling more than 10 passengers with the following conditions; same destination, flight number, and date of departure, can purchase Lion Baggage via group booking ([email protected] or +662-529-9977) with the same excess baggage weights for all passengers in the PNR booking. If individual passenger in PNR of group booking would like to purchase Lion Baggage by their own, passenger can purchase via call center (+662-529-9999).

2. Passengers can purchase prepaid baggage weights which can be made more than one transaction but total baggage allowance must not be over 45 kilograms and each luggage’s weight must not be over 32 kilograms.

3. Lion Baggage can be made at least 3 hours prior to flight departure only.

4. Lion Baggage is not available in advance:

• For carry-on baggage

• For extra seat

• Infant fare ticket

1. Lion Baggage cannot be transferred to other passengers and name changes are not permitted.

2. The baggage weight can be shared to other passengers with the same PNR booking but passengers must  present themselves together at the check-in counter.

3. If passengers decide to check-in with more weight than the free allowance plus Lion Baggage, passengers must pay normal excess baggage fees at the airport.

4. Lion Baggage is non-refundable except schedule change or flight cancellation by Thai Lion Air only. Lion Baggage will be moved to the new flight or passenger can request for full refund.

5. In the event of a voluntary change (i.e. a change made by passenger), Lion Baggage will be accepted on the new flight at no additional cost (same destination only).

6. Thai Lion Air reserves the rights to change the rates, terms and conditions of Lion Baggage at any time without notice

I would be most grateful for any advice especially about time before check-in.

I’ve never flown in/out of Khon Kaen I’ve used Udon Thani many times. I’ve used discount and brand carriers but not Lion. Generally all airlines are the same. 

If they have On-Line check in choose your options according to your requirements and check in on-line. Some airlines have bag drop counters if checked in on-line. If there’s not a special counter

you'll go to the regular line. 

If you don’t want to check in On-line check in at airport with your

luggage. Total weight of all bags can not be over 45 kg. 

Highly recommend hand carrying your laptop. Bags do get lost

sometimes but not excessive. Laptop lost or worst case stolen

in my opinion is not worth the risk.

Make sure any liquids you carry are within guidelines or you’ll have 

to turn them over to security..

Enjoy your flight.,

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I’ve never flown in/out of Khon Kaen I’ve used Udon Thani many times. I’ve used discount and brand carriers but not Lion. Generally all airlines are the same. 

If they have On-Line check in choose your options according to your requirements and check in on-line. Some airlines have bag drop counters if checked in on-line. If there’s not a special counter

you'll go to the regular line. 

If you don’t want to check in On-line check in at airport with your

luggage. Total weight of all bags can not be over 45 kg. 

Highly recommend hand carrying your laptop. Bags do get lost

sometimes but not excessive. Laptop lost or worst case stolen

in my opinion is not worth the risk.

Make sure any liquids you carry are within guidelines or you’ll have 

to turn them over to security..

Enjoy your flight.,

Many thanks DJ54 for your comments.
Laptop whenever I have flown was always with me.
Total weight of bags will be around 10 - 12kg,

No liquids other than shampoo in my main bag.

Have not / will not check-in online so will have to stand inline at counter.
Am concerned over points 3 and 4 in Terms and Conditions as I will be at the airport around 60-90 minutes before flight not living in Khon Kaen itself, would be a real hassle if my bag was not on same flight as me.

OP. Check in 2 hours befor departure.

We flew Lion Air last week. Bangkok-Phuket. Krabi-Bangkok.
Bangkok-Phuket. We had over sized bags. Not 40x30x20.

No problem with the bag size but all luggage put on scales. 7 kg each. On boarding noticed a lot of excess luggage being carried. (see my earlier thread).

Krabi-Bangkok. Different story.

Checked in at 0515 for 0730 departure as check in desks where manned. One of the the check in staff then said ‘check in 0650’. Raised the matter with another check in lady who said ‘no 0530’.

Had a coffee and then checked in. Guess what. Same check in lady who said 0650.

She weight the baggage which was 7 kg each but then said that the bags where too large and we would have to pay. My Thai partner then got in on the act and argued that these where the same bags which we flew in with. Anyway supervisor said that as the baggage was 7 kg each he would allow us to carry on. All smiles and good to go.

Would I use Lion Air again. Yes. Inconsistent. Would take the correct size bags next time.

Good luck.

I have flown from Khon Kaen to Bangkok many times with Thai Smile and also Thai Lion Air.

There is no separate bag drop counter, just the usual check in counters. It is a small airport and there is never usually a queue to check in 60 to 90 minutes before flight will be fine. I have flown Lion Air having booked extra baggage with no problem, they will have all information on their computer when you check in. Just check in as normal, sometimes they weigh your carry on bag. They used to scan your check in bag as you arrived and before you checked in, but they don't any more, make sure you don't have power bank in your check in luggage!

Edited by Tim16

5 hours ago, Tim16 said:

I have flown from Khon Kaen to Bangkok many times with Thai Smile and also Thai Lion Air.

There is no separate bag drop counter, just the usual check in counters. It is a small airport and there is never usually a queue to check in 60 to 90 minutes before flight will be fine. I have flown Lion Air having booked extra baggage with no problem, they will have all information on their computer when you check in. Just check in as normal, sometimes they weigh your carry on bag. They used to scan your check in bag as you arrived and before you checked in, but they don't any more, make sure you don't have power bank in your check in luggage!

Many thanks for the info Tim16.

5 hours ago, NiwPix said:

Check in counter closes 45 minutes before departure time. Don't be even a minute late or risk rebooking.

The bags will ( should be ) on the same plane as you.

My flight time is 10.05 and someone will give me a lift to the airport on their way to KK.
Should be there by 8am +++

5 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

OP. Check in 2 hours befor departure.

We flew Lion Air last week. Bangkok-Phuket. Krabi-Bangkok.
Bangkok-Phuket. We had over sized bags. Not 40x30x20.

No problem with the bag size but all luggage put on scales. 7 kg each. On boarding noticed a lot of excess luggage being carried. (see my earlier thread).

Krabi-Bangkok. Different story.

Checked in at 0515 for 0730 departure as check in desks where manned. One of the the check in staff then said ‘check in 0650’. Raised the matter with another check in lady who said ‘no 0530’.

Had a coffee and then checked in. Guess what. Same check in lady who said 0650.

She weight the baggage which was 7 kg each but then said that the bags where too large and we would have to pay. My Thai partner then got in on the act and argued that these where the same bags which we flew in with. Anyway supervisor said that as the baggage was 7 kg each he would allow us to carry on. All smiles and good to go.

Would I use Lion Air again. Yes. Inconsistent. Would take the correct size bags next time.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info norfolkandchance.    Bit scary!   I have a flight end of next week DMK - UBON - DMK, guess it means getting up at 5am to get morning flight at 08.10.