Assurances offered over infected family

snoop1130

Assurances offered over infected family

By The Nation

800_5a45e22ca1ced00.jpg

The Public Health Ministry offered an update on Thursday (February 27) regarding the married couple who returned from Hokkaido, Japan, infected with the Covid-19 virus and apparently passed it on to their grandson.

The ministry said officials have been thorough in tracing everyone who might have been in close contact with the three.

Other family members and some of the boy’s classmates have been told to remain home for 14 days. 

Medical staff have tested 101 close contacts and found 97 in sound health, while the other four are awaiting test results.

The three people infected in one family brought the total number of confirmed cases in Thailand to 40, with 27 people cured and released and 13 still hospitalised. No one has died from the disease in Thailand.

Sopon Iamsirithaworn, director of the General Communicable Diseases Bureau at the Disease Control Department, on Thursday announced the release from medical care of patients 24-27. 

The Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute discharged a 62-year-old Chinese man and a 49-year-old Thai man, and Rajavithi Hospital released a 33-year-old Chinese woman.

Sopon expressed concern that the latest cases have included more Thais returning from at-risk locales. 

China has largely barred its citizens from leaving the country, but more infections have been detected in other places, particularly Japan and South Korea, he noted. 

He urged all Thais returning from overseas place themselves in quarantine at home for 14 days, wear a mask and avoid all contact with the public.

The Health Ministry has also advised all citizens to avoid travelling abroad to locales where the virus is present.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382942

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-27

9 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Other family members and some of the boy’s classmates have been told to remain home for 14 days. 

People will probably say I'm being negative regarding this, but this self-quarantine at home for kids does seem like a very weak link.

Surely it only needs one instance where both the parents have to work during day and are forced to leave the potentially infected kid at home alone.

If the kid gets bored after a week at home and decides to nip to the local shop or food stall and buy something, then the quarantine will have failed, and could pass the virus on to more people.

I know it would be difficult, but it wouldn't it be better to keep those with the potential to spread the disease in isolation wards/establishments somewhere?

• Thanks 1

a friend of mine told me today that her sister recently returned from a holiday in korea, she felt unwell with a high temperature and went to a thai hospital but did not tell the doctor she had been in korea(!) my friend is worried she could have infected their whole family - i kept my distance!

you have to admire the social responsibility...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, samsensam said:

a friend of mine told me today that her sister recently returned from a holiday in korea, she felt unwell with a high temperature and went to a thai hospital but did not tell the doctor she had been in korea(!) my friend is worried she could have infected their whole family - i kept my distance!

you have to admire the social responsibility...

she probably didnt want to pay for the covid 19 test, with this happening with other travellers how long before we see people everywhere infected

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I know it would be difficult, but it wouldn't it be better to keep those with the potential to spread the disease in isolation wards/establishments somewhere?

Given the Thai "isolation" of a meter or two to the next bed, then the ones that didn't have the SARS-CoV-2 before would basically be guaranteed to get it. 

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, justin case said:

quarantine at home = who buys foods, pays the bills, etc ???

Thai wife does, as usual. If you don't have one, get one quick before the stocks run dry. Everybody knows Thais are immune to corona, jingjing, superior immune system, maibpenrai.