BANGKOK
winslowsjardine

Restraining order

My wife has a relative who's getting out of prison tomorrow. he's a violent drug addict. apparently he plans on coming to visit or stay with us. we want nothing to do with him particularly as he has been violent towards children in the past and we have a 5 year old living with us. so is there any way to obtain the equivalent of a restraining order in Thailand and if so how do you do that?

would he pay any attention to it? Maybe find someone in the family (Older person) who he may listen to, mother, father, granma, granpa? or say the house is full with people staying or just say no cannot stay, not even for one night, once the foot is in the door hard to get them out.

• Like 1

Once the camel gets it’s nose under the tent.....

Boy, this is a tough one.

I think the best idea is to view this through the lens of Thai culture.

Will a restraining order further anger this individual/cause him to lose face?  Is the extended family on “your side?”

There are many culturally sensitive questions and issues to consider.

My anecdote is a complete “apples and oranges” analogy, but here it is:   Years ago, I had to make the choice about taking out a restraining order against a former patient.

In my case, my local police were extremely helpful and sensitive in helping me make the choice of not enacting a restraining order.  They even had a consulting  psychologist weigh in on the existing evidence.  It was ultimately my choice, but their insight and input was invaluable.

Perhaps your local police may not show the same finesse mine did, but they may have a sense of “how things go/work out,” and provide some guidance on how to proceed.  

And befriending a senior police officer is an excellent idea!

Every case is different.  If the guy is a whack job, a restraining order does no good.  

Of course, literally don’t let this individual “get his foot in the door.”  Do NOT open the door!

And walk back from tangled extended family dynamics that may pull in gossip, guilt, shaming and meddling.  Stand your ground.

Good luck, and give us an update!

Edited by Brightly

How about going on holiday for 6 months to a year and renting the house out.

He wouldn't be able to find you, and he couldn't move into the house.

You didn't say who the relative was ....... is it her brother?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

How about going on holiday for 6 months to a year and renting the house out.

He wouldn't be able to find you, and he couldn't move into the house.

was thinking the same thing, even a 2 week hol may work just lock everything up really good

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

give her a choice and if she chooses wrong, then be on your way.

Just like a Thai male would ??

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

The direct opposite actually. I know a Thai male who lets his wife work in a bar and go with farangs. He tells her to keep the pooper for him and he's OK about it. Sad really. 😞 

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Most likely, yes, a Thai educated male would walk. For the 'others', a gun or knife might appear.