Vietnam

My friend just returned from Vietnam.  Upon return he was asked to quarantine himself at home for 14 days.  Hes back teaching at school a day later and socializing on the weekend.  It doesnt seem to be enforced.  In his defense it seems as likely you will contract it from Vietnam as it does here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is what Vietnam has right now... They haven't extended it, as yet, to anyone else other than China:

VIET NAM - published 19.02.2020

1. Passengers who have been in or transited through China (People's Rep.) in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Viet Nam. This does not apply to passengers who travel for diplomatic or official purpose.

- This does not apply to nationals of Viet Nam.

- This does not apply to passengers who reside in Viet Nam.

2. Passengers who travel for diplomatic or official purpose will undergo a medical examination at the border before allowed to enter Viet Nam.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm?fbclid=IwAR11pF3UlcxMokiUlwUftMAzHagFe6x1j-gXIx5OZFu3-vazdN5aaR6ko88

I returned from Dalat about a week ago. No problems. They scanned Passengers for a fever and that was it. I returned with no problems coming back. Temperature scan at BKK then flew through immigration. Great time to go now. No Chinese tourists. I’m not a racist there were just less people, no crowds. <removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic inflammatory comment removed
  • Like 1

Copied from VNExpress News:-

Vietnam suspends entry from all coronavirus-hit areas

By Viet Tuan   February 25, 2020 | 09:00 pm GMT+7

Vietnam suspends entry from all coronavirus-hit areas
Medical staff in Vietnam's central city of Da Nang spray disinfection over luggage of South Korean passengers arriving on February 24, 2020. Photo by VnExpress/Truc Lam.

No person coming from any area that has experienced a Covid-19 outbreak will be allowed to enter Vietnam, the PM directed Tuesday.

Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to apply the new policy to South Korea, Japan, Italy, Iran and all other countries and territories that have reported cases of Covid-19 caused by the novel coronavirus.

There is no mention of Thailand, or other ASEAN countries, on the list - so far, however Thailand and Cambodia have reported cases of Covid-19.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is what Vietnam has right now... They haven't extended it, as yet, to anyone else other than China:

1. Passengers who have been in or transited through China (People's Rep.) in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Viet Nam. This does not apply to passengers who travel for diplomatic or official purpose.

2. Passengers who travel for diplomatic or official purpose will undergo a medical examination at the border before allowed to enter Viet Nam.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm?fbclid=IwAR11pF3UlcxMokiUlwUftMAzHagFe6x1j-gXIx5OZFu3-vazdN5aaR6ko88

This is out of date! The govt announced on 27/02/2020 that all voyagers from countries from virus affected countries would be subject to strict procedures including quarantine. Whether this has been put totally into effect not sure but a lot of Koreans were returned home this week for refusing quarantine. The Vietnamese govt and military are being really vigorous in their dealing with the virus.

12 minutes ago, erinsf said:

Vietnam announced yesterday, they will not allow visitors from any country where Coronavirus exists.  

The govt announced on 27/02/2020 that all voyagers from countries from virus affected countries would be subject to strict procedures including quarantine. Whether this has been put totally into effect not sure but a lot of Koreans were returned home this week for refusing quarantine. The Vietnamese govt and military are being really vigorous in their dealing with the virus.

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That changed today......ban is now extended to anybody having spent anytime in South Korea during the past 14 days.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Say what!!

I didn't believe it either, but from post 9, "Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to apply the new policy to South Korea, Japan, Italy, Iran and all other countries and territories that have reported cases of Covid-19 caused by the novel coronavirus."  (Emphasis mine)

Edit:  Here is a link to the news source.  https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-suspends-entry-from-all-coronavirus-hit-areas-4060323.html

Edited by Kelsall
  • Thanks 1

I believe this news article, posted a few hours ago, is accurate about the measures being introduced: https://vietnamnews.vn/politics-laws/652869/viet-nam-to-suspend-visa-free-travel-for-south-koreans.html.

Carefully reading this article makes clear only those flying from infected regions of South Korea, Italy and Iran will be required to undergo quarantine. The measures do not require quarantine of visitors from other areas of those countries. At the current time, Thailand is definitely not affected.

• Thanks 1

To prevent new infections, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc issued a directive to disallow entry of people "coming from or who have travelled through the epidemic-hit areas".

The notice, uploaded on the Vietnam government's website on Tuesday, referred to "South Korea, Japan, Italy, Iran and some other countries".

But not Singapore, apparently...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/coronavirus-vietnam-entry-ban-does-not-apply-to-singapore-for-now

BANGKOK - People can continue travelling from Singapore to Vietnam despite Hanoi's directive on Tuesday (Feb 25) to suspend entry from all the coronavirus-hit areas in the world.

Vietnam's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in reply to a query by The Straits Times about the temporary entry ban, said: "Currently, Singapore is not determined as an epidemic area."

Vietnam has imposed stringent entry and quarantine requirements in its bid to contain the virus, and is now even considering locking down city streets.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

After reading this post I immediately called the Vietnam Embassy in London as I'm arriving in Thailand on Sunday then travelling to Ho Chi Minh on Monday.  They told me that if I had only been in Thailand I would be allowed in to Vietnam. Although Thailand has cases or Corona Virus, for the moment, it is not classed as an 'infected area'.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I believe this news article, posted a few hours ago, is accurate about the measures being introduced: https://vietnamnews.vn/politics-laws/652869/viet-nam-to-suspend-visa-free-travel-for-south-koreans.html.

Carefully reading this article makes clear only those flying from infected regions of South Korea, Italy and Iran will be required to undergo quarantine. The measures do not require quarantine of visitors from other areas of those countries. At the current time, Thailand is definitely not affected.

Ya, that source you linked makes it sound like they'll treat different areas of individual countries differently.... Just how they're going to calculate that, if they do, will be interesting to see.

Citizens of countries stricken by Covid-19, but from cities/provinces free of the epidemic, will have to submit a health declaration and submit to further procedures deemed necessary when entering Vietnam.

I'm not sure I've seen that same language distinction in various of the other EN language reports I've seen. So it seems more than a bit inscrutable at the moment!

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

After reading this post I immediately called the Vietnam Embassy in London as I'm arriving in Thailand on Sunday then travelling to Ho Chi Minh on Monday.  They told me that if I had only been in Thailand I would be allowed in to Vietnam. Although Thailand has cases or Corona Virus, for the moment, it is not classed as an 'infected area'.

Glad to hear... Wonder on just what basis they came to that distinction re Thailand.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Glad to hear... Wonder on just what basis they came to that distinction re Thailand.

I'm guessing but maybe they go by the size of the outbreak - the guy did mention that if I'd been to Italy, for example, I would not be allowed in. I wonder how long it will take them to realise that people from other EU countries can visit Italy without getting a stamp in their passport - they could therefore, lie about where they've been.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Or for that matter the UK, which has COVID-19, like Thailand, the US, and about 50+ other countries.  I would expect the conflicting news reports indicate a fluid situation and the the typical government problem of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

When planning a trip (any trip), what I'd be worried about is that the situation might change between leaving and coming back, as it's so fluid. Even if there's no outright ban imposed, the likelihood of flight cancellations is very real and often short notice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

When planning a trip (any trip), what I'd be worried about is that the situation might change between leaving and coming back, as it's so fluid. Even if there's no outright ban imposed, the likelihood of flight cancellations is very real and often short notice.

I was due to fly Japan on March 18.

Just received email from AirAsia that flight canceled. They offered refund etc. When now look their bookings the next available is March 30. Then nothing till late April. They normally do daily to and from Osaka, Tokyo etc. Also no insurance offered.

I'm also due to fly Saigon March 14. Seems that flight ok (for the moment)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leggo said:

The govt announced on 27/02/2020 that all voyagers from countries from virus affected countries would be subject to strict procedures including quarantine. Whether this has been put totally into effect not sure but a lot of Koreans were returned home this week for refusing quarantine. The Vietnamese govt and military are being really vigorous in their dealing with the virus.

Virus affected countries. That is pretty much the whole world now. Are the quarantining all arrivals 

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Well usually people would be flying in from Seoul, Rome, Tehran etc, which are mostly not infected areas, but will they know where people started out from?