Jump to content
BANGKOK
bangkokgalaxy

New Double Entry Tourist Visa?

Recommended Posts

I just read about this new visa but can't find anything on how (or where) to actually get one. A local lawyer

mentioned this was a good option if I can travel to a consulate outside of SE Asia (Europe, USA, etc).

 

Has anyone had one of these new visas and where did you get it? Are these available in France, Spain or UK?

 

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/thai-government-confirms-introduction-of-double-entry-tourist-visa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blog post to which you linked is three months old and nothing new has been published about a double-entry tourist visa since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They might soon be desperate enough to go ahead with it, let's see.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I personally think that an announcement that they will resume honouring existing tourist visas would be more effective than introducing an additional flavour of tourist visa.

We live in hope!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BritTim said:

I personally think that an announcement that they will resume honouring existing tourist visas would be more effective than introducing an additional flavour of tourist visa.

Don't understand that @BritTim- I'm presently in Pattaya having arrived on Feb 5th using SETV issued in Cardiff - I have a friend arriving next week, also with SETV. Has something changed or am I being particularly dense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never believe anything you read in The Thaiger. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Addendum to my original post:

 

I called the law firm that (I thought) suggested the new double entry visa as a good option for my friend (a US citizen). They clarified their advice (I misunderstood - they were not suggesting the "new" double entry visa).

 

In short, they said because my friend had only 2 Ed Visas in last 1.5 years, and no history of back to back tourist visas, she could go to the UK, apply online for a tourist visa, and select "2" for the "Number of Entries" field.

 

Once the UK embassy approved the visa, then it would be possible to:

 

reenter Thailand by air for 60 days

go to immigration and get a 30 extension

leave and come back for another 60 days

go to immigration and extend for 30 days

 

TOTAL = 180 days on a tourist visa 

 

He suggested it would "probably" work, and even if they pressed, they'd most likely only issue a warning and let her in anyway.

 

Does this sound plausible?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

I called the law firm that (I thought) suggested the new double entry visa as a good option for my friend (a US citizen). They clarified their advice (I misunderstood - they were not suggesting the "new" double entry visa).

 

In short, they said because my friend had only 2 Ed Visas in last 1.5 years, and no history of back to back tourist visas, she could go to the UK, apply online for a tourist visa, and select "2" for the "Number of Entries" field.

incorrect and outdated info from them. A two entry tourist visa has not existed since November of 2015. Only single and multiple entry tourist visas are issued now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think he is was referring to immigration incorrectly denying entry to those with valid tourist visas.

Re-reading, I see what you mean - thanks! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

...

Once the UK embassy approved the visa, then it would be possible to:

 

reenter Thailand by air for 60 days

go to immigration and get a 30 extension

leave and come back for another 60 days

go to immigration and extend for 30 days

 

TOTAL = 180 days on a tourist visa 

 

He suggested it would "probably" work, and even if they pressed, they'd most likely only issue a warning and let her in anyway.

The first 60 days on a SingleEntry Tourist Visa and extension with 30 days will be no problem at all.

But she cannot re-enter on that same SingleEntry tourist Visa after her permission to stay for 60 days or the 30 days has expired.  But if she qualifies for a MultipleEntry Visa (in UK you need an employer statement for those) then that would be possible as that Visa will allow you an almost 9 month stay in Thailand without any problems.

When she cannot get the METV, and entered on the SingleEntry Tourist Visa, she would on leaving Thailand have to apply for a new SingleEntry Tourist Visa at the thai embassy/consulate of the neighboring country she went to (if she wants a 60 day entry again).  She could also decide to return VisaExempt which would give her 30 days and can also be extended with another 30 days.  After that, very little chance of re-entry again.

Note: Applying for the 2nd SETV might be refused (some embassies/consultates refuse to issue back-to-back SETVs).

She might and most probably will be admitted without any problem on her 2nd SETV or VisaExempt, but in order to avoid any risk of denial it would be recommended to avoid the 2 Bangkok Airports and preferable to re-enter using a land-border. 

 

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...