PM says military to be downsized and generals reduced by half within 8 years

webfact

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

According to wiki:

"As of 2015...The Thai military has more than 1,700 flag officers (generals and admirals), roughly one general for every 212 troops, a bloated number for a military of its size."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Armed_Forces#Personnel 

Okay, how many is....more than? My point is that they've always refused to answer this question.

Edited by Hayduke

6 minutes ago, Hayduke said:
9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

According to wiki:

"As of 2015...The Thai military has more than 1,700 flag officers (generals and admirals), roughly one general for every 212 troops, a bloated number for a military of its size."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Armed_Forces#Personnel 

Okay, how many is....more than?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Perhaps in eight years time it might say 'has more than 650 flag officers' whereas the total might still be, say, 2,000?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Speaking in his capacity as the Defence Minister, the Prime Minister stressed the necessity of strengthening the capabilities of the armed forces through procurement of modern armaments, such as submarines, to place them on a par with neighbouring countries, not for the purpose of war preparedness but to enhance bargaining power

As if Thailand has ever been a threat to anyone?

5 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

WOW now that is unusual.

usually all ex-military leaders will tell how the army needs more budget

and more weapons and more and more and more...even if only to

defend their friends in the army. 

salut, Mr. Genenral Prayuth !

Saying is one thing. Actuality is another! He has made so many promises, but none come through. Surprise. Surprise.

He is just trying to deflect from the pasting he has just taken in the censure debate. I am amazed he only spat the dummy once and walked out!!! ????????????????

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Once again the master bu++shi++er is up to his usual.

Why would it take 8 years to cut the amount of generals in half?

It could be done in months if wanted.

That just means he has to hang around for 8 years to do the job.Just like it takes 2 years to get through the case load of virus infection detection under the guise of doing a thorough job.

5 minutes ago, BestB said:
4 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Good idea, but what do you do with half a general?

Promote them to ministers and senators 

Agreed, but it depends on which way you cut them. If from top to bottom you are left with ministers/senators with half a brain and half an ar#e. Still, probably better than the current mob.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

I thought that in Thailand any military or police official who supervises 5 or more people is made a general?

Close.

My earlier post, quoting wiki:

"roughly one general for every 212 troops, a bloated number for a military of its size."

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Once again the master bu++shi++er is up to his usual.

Why would it take 8 years to cut the amount of generals in half?

It could be done in months if wanted.

The answer Col is simple Most of the older Generals will be retired by then Even the general who is Thailands Pm will be retired But mark my words before they leave the piggy banks will be full

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How will he cut the number of generals? More than half are assigned no duties but all those who graduate from Chulchomklao are promised a job till retirement, no matter how incompetent, lazy and useless they turn out to be. Note I didn’t include “corrupt” in that list since that quality is a prerequisite for advancement to senior active service.

• Like 2