Bangkok Bank internet banking access form the US

wayned

Don't know if it's the right forum or not, if not Mods please redirect.

I'm going back to the US and still want to have access to my bank account here on a monthly basis.  Does anybody know if you can access and use Bangkok Bank's Bualaung Banking website from the US, or are you blocked out because you are using US Ip address.  I can only access some websites in the US by using a VPN.

I have cyber banking with BBL and K Bank. Accessed both from many countries in Asia and currently in Australia, no problems whatever.

Another item is receiving the OTP when you are out of Thailand.

I've used:

1. - OTP by e.mail for both K Bank and BBl, but this requires an expensive phone call from the country abroad to the appropriate section in the two banks. Call is usually 2 minutes but sometimes bank staff English not so good and call gets extended, costs add up.

2. - OTP by SMS. I maintain my AIS postpay acount and it's set up for roaming but there's another setting which limits roaming costs to zero Baht.

Step by step: 

- I change my SIM card back to AIS Simcard,

- then set up the transfer on the K Bank of BBL site (as normal),

- then the OTP comes through on an SMS.

- Insert OTP, all done.

- then I change my SIMcard back to local SIM in Singapore, Vietnam, Australia etc. 

Easy

I've not tried from the US but I've accessed my Bangkok Bank account from several countries including Australia and India with zero issues.

As above if you need to receive OTPs, but many (if not all) of the banks have Apps that negate the need for an SMS'd OTP.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've not tried from the US but I've accessed my Bangkok Bank account from several countries including Australia and India with zero issues.

As above if you need to receive OTPs, but many (if not all) of the banks have Apps that negate the need for an SMS'd OTP.

For Crossy, perhaps one year back my Thai son (has Thai ID card and has K bank mobile banking) asked at K bank about getting their app. on my phone. Answer was cyber banking is available on notebook (we already knew that) but on mobile not available to farang.

So my question did you got the App (which I guess can also be described as mobile Banking) more recently?  

@scorecard interesting, not something I've heard before. However I did get all my mobile banking stuff rather further back.

Some of the mobile payment systems are not available to foreigners, Lazada Wallet I think is one. Truemoney Wallet wasn't available to foreigners until fairly recently and I can't directly link LinePay to my bank/credit card because one or other is a "foreigner account" (I can push money from the bank to LinePay OK).

A lot of the silliness is down to AMLO and their money laundering rules (who is going to launder $$$ using their Rabbit card?).

I can certainly use my mobile with Bangkok Bank, SCB and Citi including the "scan to pay" options.

So long as I have my Thai phone on for any possible OTOP requirements I have never had any problems accessing either my Bangkok Bank or SCB account from the US via Internet banking.  Never needed a VPN either

Once I finish my banking, since rarely do I need a OTOP,  I just turn off the phone till the next time

I e34mailed BBl andasked them about getting my OTPs sent visa email and they said that I could only get them by SMS.  She also said that they could not be sent to an international number.  But also said that if you keep your phone with a Thai Sim card on and set it to international roaming that I would get the SMS with the OTP.  I guess that's what Langsuan man does.  I also rarely do something that needs an OTP.