Thailand’s Richest Man Is Building Bangkok’s Tallest Skyscraper

webfact

Thailand’s Richest Man Is Building Bangkok’s Tallest Skyscraper

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

-- Asset World has an aggressive pipeline despite tourism wobbles

-- Comes as the city’s Chao Phraya river undergoes a renaissance

Charoen-Sirivadhanabhakdi_bloomberg.jpg

BANGKOK • Thailand's richest man wants to set another record. Billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, via his recently listed property unit Asset World Corp, has set his sights on building the nation's tallest skyscraper.

Details are scant - no official height has been set and completion is not expected until 2025 - but the tower, at the centre of another US$948 million (S$1.32 billion) project on the banks of Bangkok's Chao Phraya river, is emblematic of Asset World's aggressive growth strategy.

“It embodies what our company aims to do -- set new trends and lift the benchmark,” said Asset World’s Chief Executive Officer and Charoen’s daughter, Wallapa Traisorat. The skyscraper will be a “new landmark” and draw more visitors to Thailand, she said.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-26/thailand-s-richest-man-is-building-bangkok-s-tallest-skyscraper

-- Bloomberg 2020-02-28

31 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

Well , with Bangkok sinking it makes since to go UP !!

Exactly what I was thinking with 18 ft piers (can be used for parking the next 15-20 yrs and a ramp up to the 3rd floor parking level) and additional 10 floors of parking. Offices, Condos and Hotel can all be above that. One must build toward the future (ie no basement parking).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Look How Skyscrapers Have Predicted Recession Through History

https://www.businessinsider.com/skyscraper-index-skyscrapers-signal-financial-recession-2012-1

I have been thinking the same thing recently.  It’s not just skyscrapers either.   Look at the fanciest buildings built in Los Angeles just before the Great Depression.  The Clocktower in Santa Monica and the El Royale apartments across from the Wilshire Country Club just to name 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I have a vision of this 1000 metre high monolith on the banks of the Chaophaya river. Just after a helicopter drops into position the topmost finial there is a rumble and the whole structure slides into the ground with a sigh just like a concrete pile.

With Thai construction standards, this is a highly likely outcome.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I have a vision of this 1000 metre high monolith on the banks of the Chaophaya river. Just after a helicopter drops into position the topmost finial there is a rumble and the whole structure slides into the ground with a sigh just like a concrete pile.

Because there is no precendent for the sucessful completion of a tall building in thailand right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Can you imagine the total weight of the building and the depths of the piles to support it?

Think how much PM 2.5 it will generate.

What would be worse then sliding into the ground is if it fell across the Chao Phraya river.

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

No worries, then you have your piling, just add another 1000m. And you can sell the bottom floors to hapless farangs or Chinese money launderers.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What would be worse then sliding into the ground is if it fell across the Chao Phraya river.

They need another bridge in BKK, all good.

I'm practicing my positive look on things as prescribed by TVF members, I think I'm doing a splendid job.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, phkauf said:
22 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

With Thai construction standards, this is a highly likely outcome.

You have a similar one in mind that has suffered that fate, or you just fancied another Thai-bash?