Avira users: a heads up

bendejo

So I turn on my computer this morning and up pops my default browser telling me about a new version of Avira.  What the heck, I download it and install.

Well, it installed a whole slew of other products that they would like me to purchase.  Me no like, I've thought out my AV and system protection, and I wanted to keep my Avira setup just the way it was.  I also don't like extra junk on my system.

So I fire up the IObit Uninstaller and there's a few things I was able to remove, but then I went a little too far and hosed my Avira installation.  I had a few custom settings in there that took a bit of experimenting to come up, and did not want to have to deal with that again.

No real worry, as I have a backup from 2 weeks ago.  I also keep most of my stuff on other partitions, so only a few things on C drive needed salvaging before the overwrite.

I then did an update from within their program, the same update that runs automatically.  It updated ok.  I was expecting them to push for the package I just scrubbed, but that didn't happen (yet?).

Just thought I'd pass this on.  If you're using their AV now you'll probably be given the same offer.

i have avira for 15 years now.  My buddy was using it and he at the time said it was the German or european standard.  (his wife is german and he has lived there.).  I have the free version and it has protected me on my old Toshiba satellite and now my EliteBook with no issues.  I have noticed the changes with time, and the stuff the seem to want to sell me, and the auto update can not be disabled and the auto scan seems to go when it wants no matter what I do to stop that.  So far no show stoppers though.  For the Free price, it has been pretty good

Avira is renowned for its bloatware and worse still is that it installs stuff you don't want without asking permission. 

I've spoken to their technical team about this and they reckon they are making changes soon to give the user more control. BS I reckon. 

I just wanted to use their VPN and bought only that, but it keeps installing Opera Browser AND automatically setting it to my default browser. 

Terrible piece of software! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Avira was good ... It's now a pita. 

Even when you try to uninstall it keeps up and bother you to buy something. 

MS security essentials is the solution. 

Edited by CH1961
Missed a piece.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:48 AM, bendejo said:

my default browser telling me about a new version of Avira.  What the heck, I download it and install

If you want to update Avira then why don't you open Avira and press that update button (or menu or whatever it is).

Only because something pretends to be Avira doesn't mean it is Avira. 

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you want to update Avira then why don't you open Avira and press that update button (or menu or whatever it is).

Only because something pretends to be Avira doesn't mean it is Avira. 

On 2/27/2020 at 1:48 PM, bendejo said:

I then did an update from within their program, the same update that runs automatically.  It updated ok.