Extension based on marriage - Is this possible ?

For a first visa extension based on marriage,

Anyone tried or knows is this route is allowed :

--> 1 month Visa Exemption on arrival
--> 60 days extension to visit wife 
--> 1 year extension of stay based on marriage

Or is a Non-immigrant O visa mandatory prior to an extension based on marriage ?

Cheers

Thanks for the tips everyone,

In that case:

During my first 15 days exemption visa, 

I guess i can process the  90 days non immigrant visa inside Thailand in any immigration office, is that right ?

( no need to get out of the country?)

Its the last piece of info i need,

(as all the marriage papers, residencie papers, and seasoned 400k in thai bank already sorted)

Cheers

6 minutes ago, morphem said:

Thanks for the tips everyone,

In that case:

I guess i can process the  90 days non immigrant visa inside Thailand in any immigration office, is that right ?

(as all the marriage papers, residencie papers, and seasoned 400k in thai bank already sorted)

Cheers

Correct. It has to be the Immigration Office that covers the area in which you are living.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, morphem said:

In that case:

That's correct.

But some caveats:

- Some IOs require that you file your 90-day Non Imm O Visa application at least 21 days - instead of 15 days - before your VisaExempt entry permission to stay expires;

- Some rogue IOs might refuse to process your 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa application, and will insist that you apply for it at a neighboring country;

- Some IOs have additional requirements when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, so it is recommended to check with the local IO of the place where you want to stay (or on the Forum) to avoid any surprises;

- Be aware that you need to apply for the 1-year extension of stay at the SAME IO where you filed the application for the 90-day Non Imm O marriage Visa.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, morphem said:

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non immigrant visa at immigration.

It only has to be in the bank for 2 months when you apply for the extension of stay.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

- Some rogue IOs might refuse to process your 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa application, and will insist that you apply for it at a neighboring country;

- Be aware that you need to apply for the 1-year extension of stay at the SAME IO where you filed the application for the 90-day Non Imm O marriage Visa.

That was my worry in the first place, why i started this thread.

Guess it's best to prepare a plan B for a run to Laos or elsewhere then.

(local IO being Nakhon Sawan, bit of a headache)

Thanks for the warning

Edited by morphem

1 minute ago, morphem said:

Hi Morphem > at which IO do you plan to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa and subsequent extension?

I'll probably be moving to Thailand permanently this year as well. I've been looking at the options, and it seems the easiest way is to apply in the UK for the Non-O which gives 90 days. Then in Thailand apply for the 1 year extension at the appropriate time. Assuming I don't decide on the Elite Visa instead.

Edited by Tuvoc

8 hours ago, morphem said:

(local IO being Nakhon Sawan, bit of a headache)

Thanks for the warning

Have you looked at getting a 90 day Non-O in your home country before leaving ?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think he is here already.

Yes indeed, gonna check with Nakhon Sawan IO Monday or Tuesday

wether it's possible to apply for the 90 days Non-O here locally or if it's got to be processed in an embassy/consulate outside Thailand.

Cheers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

You need a Non O visa to qualify for the 1 year extension of stay.

You can enter as a tourist, extend that entry by 60 days, but you’d need to apply — in-country — for a Non O before applying for the extension.

but you’d need to apply — in-country

to apply already in Thailand for the non O?

17 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I'll probably be moving to Thailand permanently this year as well. I've been looking at the options, and it seems the easiest way is to apply in the UK for the Non-O which gives 90 days. Then in Thailand apply for the 1 year extension at the appropriate time. Assuming I don't decide on the Elite Visa instead.

Hi Tuvoc,

>> Just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap containing all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa. 

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum