'I could fall to my death:' tightrope walker Wallenda readies to cross active volcano

webfact

'I could fall to my death:' tightrope walker Wallenda readies to cross active volcano

2020-02-27T232645Z_1_LYNXNPEG1Q244_RTROPTP_4_USA-WALLENDA-VOLCANO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Aerialist Nik Wallenda holds a sample of a wire while he speaks with media as he prepares for a highwire walk over Times Square in New York, U.S., June 20, 2019. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz/File Photo

(Reuters) - Tightrope walker Nik Wallenda fears the worst-possible outcome as he prepares for his latest high wire act - trekking across a live volcano in Nicaragua on Wednesday. "I could fall to my death."

But the 41-year old member of the seven-generation family of daredevils, The Flying Wallendas, is taking it in stride.

"It is just the reality of what I do," he told Reuters on Thursday, ahead of his live, televised walk 1800 feet (548 meters) across the Masaya volcano with churning lava below.

According to Dick Clark Productions, it will be the highest and longest walk he has ever attempted.

"I will tell you that my first step I take will be a step of faith," he said. "It's not as though I'm fearless. It is more about me overcoming that fear." 

Wallenda, who has made successful walks across Niagara Falls and above Times Square, said he has been training with an oxygen depravation mask to mirror the conditions above the volcano.

He will be wearing goggles, a mask and possibly even oxygen tanks for the walk. His shoes have been designed with thicker soles to help cut possible heat coming from the volcano, and the cable will feel like a bar, the high wire artist said.

"I'll be dealing with the winds of the Grand Canyon, potentially. I'll be dealing with the gases that are so thick that you can potentially not be able to see 10 feet in front of me," he said.

"Everything that has been thrown at me here adds to my stress levels."

Wallenda said the idea came to him after flying over an active volcano on the way to Mexico City.

Masaya is one of six major active volcanoes in Nicaragua, and has erupted at least 18 times since 1520, including major eruptions in 1772 and 1820.

The volcano is located about 14 miles (23 kilometres) from the Central American country's capital, Managua, and is 2,093 feet (638 meters) in elevation.

"Volcano Live! With Nik Wallenda" will air on American network ABC on March 4.

(Reporting by Andrew Hofstetter and Catherine Koppel, Writing by Diane Craft; editing by Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-28

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It seems the humorles also confuse easily 

Me....humourless. You must be joking!

Missoura made the first funny comment, it was you who did not understand it and TRIED to be funnier.

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Me....humourless. You must be joking!

Missoura made the first funny comment, it was you who did not understand it and TRIED to be funnier.

I see you went back and Edited your post after I answered you.

So now you are also a comedy critic?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s only February and it looks like the guy with the steam powered rocket is facing some stiff competition for this year’s Darwin Award.

Yeah, and when it goes south then it's ''at least he died doing what he loved!''

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Why do you suppose that Mr. Wallenda does not appreciate life? I would suggest that he appreciates life a lot more than Mr. Joe Average.

Many years ago I had a nasty incident in which I almost drowned in the sea off the Isle of Anglesey. I can tell you, I really appreciated life for a long time after that.

Read the accounts of free climbers, free divers, base jumpers and the likes. They all love life and enjoy it to the full. How many people can really say that?

Good luck to the guy. I wish him well.

Your near death experience made you appreciate life, so did it also make you want have near death experiences continually after that?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Your near death experience made you appreciate life, so did it also make you want have near death experiences continually after that?

It was an experience that I wouldn't want to repeat but it didn't stop me from wanting to go SCUBA diving and I carried on doing so for another 30 years.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 5:27 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s only February and it looks like the guy with the steam powered rocket is facing some stiff competition for this year’s Darwin Award.

Chomper I agree it’s not a safe or sane thing to do but mr walinda knows how to handle risk I wish him a safe stunt but imo he’s still a knuckle head but a carefull one lol

18 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I won't be impressed if he makes it or sad if he doesn't. People who do stuff like this lack an appreciation of life.

Or...appreciate life to it's extreme fullest. It's just a matter of perspective/opinion...though I do get your drift.

I still think the feat accomplished by Philippe Petit in 1974 was the most extraordinary "daredevil" feat maybe ever. The documentary "Man On Wire" is a Must-See. Not only that he did it...but HOW he managed it. The entire story is mind-blowing. The more recent movie...The Walk...is also quite good. Recommend both. 

I think you'll be very impressed with this true story.

(The NatGeo documentary "Free Solo" covers another extraordinary and impressive individual feat of fearlessness) 

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

“So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?”

Hunter S. Thompson

"The line between idiot and a daredevil is a thin one."

N. Yezhov

• Thanks 1