'I could fall to my death:' tightrope walker Wallenda readies to cross active volcano

webfact

9 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

There is no discovery in pursuing meaningless stunts

That is your view, and you are entitled to it. 

Just as I am entitled to the view that is the very opposite.

A life lived to the full is a life lived well

Make of that what you will...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Why do you suppose that Mr. Wallenda does not appreciate life? I would suggest that he appreciates life a lot more than Mr. Joe Average.

Many years ago I had a nasty incident in which I almost drowned in the sea off the Isle of Anglesey. I can tell you, I really appreciated life for a long time after that.

Read the accounts of free climbers, free divers, base jumpers and the likes. They all love life and enjoy it to the full. How many people can really say that?

The ones who died young risking their lives for an adrenaline rush or a you tube video and losing their life are the ones that cannot say it 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but  a life cut short by an early death isnt living life to the full

Oh deary me, it's not like he's never done things like this before...this man is a highly experienced practitioner of his art.

He is doing what he does and pushing himself to his limits.

Kudos to him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh deary me, it's not like he's never done things like this before...this man is a highly experienced practitioner of his art.

He is doing what he does and pushing himself to his limits.

Kudos to him.

Yes, but he is putting his life at risk

Up to him though, he may not be here tomorrow and will have died " doing what he loved best" 

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but he is putting his life at risk

Up to him though, he may not be here tomorrow and will have died " doing what he loved best" 

He’s Living his life to the full, he’s testing himself.

Those sniping from the sidelines are entitled to live their safe lives, but I fail to understand why they condemn those who choose a different approach.

Have to wonder why they do so. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Those sniping from the sidelines are entitled to live their safe lives, but I fail to understand why they condemn those who choose a different approach.

Have to wonder why they do so. 

Well, I am not "sniping from the sidelines " and I dont "condemn" him , I just dont think that its a good idea to risk your life by walking across a live volcano .

I have that opinion because IMO, people shouldn't risk their life

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
51 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but  a life cut short by an early death isnt living life to the full

@sanemax It is not important how long ones life is. It is how good that life is that counts.

If one dies young doing what he or she really loves, to them it has still been  worthwhile.

And that includes riding a motorcycle in Thailand @White Christmas13

"I refuse to walk carefully through life only to arrive safely at death."

Paulo Coelho

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

@sanemax It is not important how long ones life is. It is how good that life is that counts.

If one dies young doing what he or she really loves, to them it has still been  worthwhile.

Yes, and its preferable to have a good long life rather  than a short good life 

But if a person wants to end their life prematurely by walking across a volcano, then.......up to him 

50 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well, I am not "sniping from the sidelines " and I dont "condemn" him , I just dont think that its a good idea to risk your life by walking across a live volcano .

I have that opinion because IMO, people shouldn't risk their life

Yeah right. 

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I live my life to the fullest and feel I have lost nothing by not hanging upside down over the Grand Canyon and shouting look at me.

Those cheering daredevils from the sidelines are entitled to live their lives through others, but I fail to understand why they condemn those who choose a different approach. Must be because they feel they are the only one with the answer to lifes questions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I live my life to the fullest and feel I have lost nothing by not hanging upside down over the Grand Canyon and shouting look at me.

Those cheering daredevils from the sidelines are entitled to live their lives through others, but I fail to understand why they condemn those who choose a different approach. Must be because they feel they are the only one with the answer to lifes questions.

I've only got one question on life.

Every night it's will I wake up tomorrow??

Then the answer always comes into my head.

If I don't then I wont but I don't reckon I'll be upset about it.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I’m not cheering anyone or living my life through this man. In all honesty I couldn’t give a toss what he does. 

i do have respect for those who push themselves, but I wouldn’t want to watch this event. Not something I find interesting. 

However, that said, I am questioning why those sniping from the sidelines are doing so. 

Edited by Bluespunk

He wore a safety harness over Niagara Falls. Looks like he might be wearing same on this walk. 

Nik says with insurance companies and permitting involved, he’s not sure he will be allowed to walk without any type of safety mechanism.

In all fairness, he's done most without safety gear...including Grand Canyon. Kinda cheapens the whole thing, if worn. Nothing but a short, gassy bungee jump if he falls. The rescue would be more risky! :vampire:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

He wore a safety harness over Niagara Falls. Looks like he might be wearing same on this walk. 

Nik says with insurance companies and permitting involved, he’s not sure he will be allowed to walk without any type of safety mechanism.

In all fairness, he's done most without safety gear...including Grand Canyon. Kinda cheapens the whole thing, if worn. Nothing but a short, gassy bungee jump if he falls. The rescue would be more risky! :vampire:

Tie the safety harness to his willie.

No way he's going to fall then.

• Haha 1