North East: Mystical tree trunks still making Thai believers rich from the lottery

webfact

North East: Mystical tree trunks still making Thai believers rich from the lottery

9pm.jpg

Picture Sanook

Two tree trunks dredged up from a river during the construction of a bridge have been credited with making people continually rich from the national lottery. 

Numbers divined from the wood after prayers have resulted in many wins. 

Jomsri, 60, told Sanook that the two "takhian tree" logs were retrieved during the construction of the Kamalasai to Roi-Et Road in Kamalasai district of Kalasin.

The logs were installed in a shrine at the temple of Wat Ban Mai Samakhee. 

They are inhabited by siblings, she explained, and are called Chao Mae Takhian Thong and Chao Mae Takhian Hin (the gold and stone logs).

People are always winning after showing respects to the logs, she said. One person got second prize and many have divined the last two numbers. 

She said the trees were more than 300 years old and very sacred. 

Lottery winners would come and say thanks with offerings of traditional clothes and other items after scooping money. 

Business was always brisk at the time of the National Lottery draw. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-28

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

The logs were installed in a shrine at the temple of Wat Ban Mai Samakhee. 

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

People are always winning after showing respects to the logs, she said. One person got second prize and many have divined the last two numbers

The religion of praying to a piece of wood as sanctioned by buddhists.

No more bizarre than praying to a stone or wooden carving of someone who perhaps could have lived a couple of thousand years ago.

I suppose praying for a winner would eventually get a result. Ignoring all the other times it failed of course - same as these logs for the gullible.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

"Lottery winners would come and say thanks with offerings of traditional clothes and other items after scooping money. "

I wonder what the tree in my garden would give me if I bought it a jumper and a pair of wellies?  ????

Backache?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

People are always winning after showing respects to the logs, she said. One person got second prize and many have divined the last two numbers. 

Millions are playing the lottery every month, sounds like a scam from the temple to get extra donations. Lottery numbers are just pure luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

“...sanctioned by buddhists.” [sic]

Sanctioned by what Buddhists? 

Lord Buddha himself never would promote such a worship of so-called tree spirits for magical lottery winning or any other reason.

Have you actually done a serious study of Theravada Buddhism?

What you are seeing is a mixture of Buddhism, Animism, and Hinduism in much of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Look around you if you are living in those countries. You also see Ganesh and Nang Kwak and Mae Phosop.....who are not worshipped in Theravada Buddhism.

And if they are....then the worshipper is mixing other religions into Buddhism. Common in that part of the world. If it makes them happy. 

Tree worship is not Buddhism...it is Animism. The whole amulet “magic” thing is not Theravada Buddhism. Lord Buddha himself never taught such a thing and would not believe it. He spoke against such superstition in the Tipitaka. 

As a Theravada Buddhist.... I do not pray to, or make offerings to, or worship trees or statues. Statue or picture of Lord Buddha is a reference point, a focal point, a remembrance...we do not believe there is a god in there. We pay respect to the image and man it represents. A bit like you show respect to the photographs and memory of your mother and father. 

Buddhists, those who are not also Hindus and Animists, pay respect and offer homage to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.  

Not to trees to win the lottery. 

Please get your facts straight.  

I wrote what i did, based on the fact that the logs are in a buddhist temple. How come people are being allowed/encouraged to pray to them?

Why doesn't the Sangha tell the abbott to remove them if they are contrary to the religion?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Millions are playing the lottery every month, sounds like a scam from the temple to get extra donations. Lottery numbers are just pure luck!

A scam????  In Thailand????

No. This is pure science. Like knowing the earth is flat type science...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Lottery winners would come and say thanks with offerings of traditional clothes and other items after scooping money.

I religiously watered the tree in my garden every night before 'going to roost" I've never won anything!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Mystical tree trunks still making Thai believers rich from the lottery

Isn't  it amazing what people believe in Religion/Ghosts/Spirits/Miracles and what not and some are smart people  I just don't understand that one can believe in all that Hokes Pokes . I am like may Mam I only can believe in something if I can see it, the rest is a big heap off Bull <deleted>.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Catoni said:

“...sanctioned by buddhists.” [sic]

Sanctioned by what Buddhists? 

Lord Buddha himself never would promote such a worship of so-called tree spirits for magical lottery winning or any other reason.

Have you actually done a serious study of Theravada Buddhism?

What you are seeing is a mixture of Buddhism, Animism, and Hinduism in much of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Look around you if you are living in those countries. You also see Ganesh and Nang Kwak and Mae Phosop.....who are not worshipped in Theravada Buddhism.

And if they are....then the worshipper is mixing other religions into Buddhism. Common in that part of the world. If it makes them happy. 

Tree worship is not Buddhism...it is Animism. The whole amulet “magic” thing is not Theravada Buddhism. Lord Buddha himself never taught such a thing and would not believe it. He spoke against such superstition in the Tipitaka. 

As a Theravada Buddhist.... I do not pray to, or make offerings to, or worship trees or statues. Statue or picture of Lord Buddha is a reference point, a focal point, a remembrance...we do not believe there is a god in there. We pay respect to the image and man it represents. A bit like you show respect to the photographs and memory of your mother and father. 

Buddhists, those who are not also Hindus and Animists, pay respect and offer homage to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.  

Not to trees to win the lottery. 

Please get your facts straight.  

How many lottery sellers with a work permit were selling at times when the Lord Himself was living and finally found His enlightenment in the end? 

Edited by Isaanbiker
Go and ask the Lord Buddha......

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I wrote what i did, based on the fact that the logs are in a buddhist temple. How come people are being allowed/encouraged to pray to them?

Why doesn't the Sangha tell the abbott to remove them if they are contrary to the religion?

I explained it in my post above. Please re-read it carefully. 

Take care.

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

How many lottery sellers with a work permit were selling at times when the Lord Himself was living and finally found His enlightenment in the end? 

What I was meaning was that is Lord Buddha was here today, He would not support tree worship or belief in magical power of amulets for winning lotteries or any other reason.

In the Anguttara Nikaya, Buddha stated that this is how responsible people act:

‘They do not get carried away by superstition; they believe in deeds, aspiring to results from their own deeds through their own effort in a rational way; they are not excited by wildly rumoured superstition, talismans, omens or lucky charms; they do not aspire to results from praying for miracles.’

Perhaps you understand now ?

18 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I explained it in my post above. Please re-read it carefully. 

Take care.

I did read it. So 'If it makes them happy' then it's OK.

Based on that, it does seem like buddhism is anything anyone wants it be.

Rather vague, I'm an atheist.

I gather the argument has gone on for (I think) centuries, as to whether buddhism is a religion or a philosophy. Looking at it as a philosophy, I can see it's a good way to live your life.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I seriously hope someone doesn't think they sit on the floor and pray to the tree trunk instead of Buddha.

Buddhists don't pray to Buddha like a God, instead they do chants. 

Buddhism as an organized religion and what's at play here -which is animism and pantheism, coexist quite comfortably and it's only western scholars that see it as some kind of riddle that must be solved.  There's a reason why in a Buddhist temple one pours water into a cup and afterwards empties it onto a tree, and gives a lotus flower - not to Buddha, but to oneself.

It's the belief that nature, objects, places and creatures all possess a distinct spiritual essence - it's why Prince Siddhartha meditated under a TREE to begin with and not in Starbucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

Buddhism as an organized religion and what's at play here -which is animism and pantheism, coexist quite comfortably

Well said, it's funny that in Central and South Americas, Christian Religion is also mixed with animism and pantheism, and sorcery too.

All religions are mixed with the local culture and superstitions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

the trees were more than 300 years old

A few years ago, my Mrs dragged me round an old lump of wood somewhere near Amnat Charoen that was a little nut a mere 1,000 years ago. They had fished it out of a river and instantly started worshiping it. Loads of people bowing and prostrating themselves in front of it.

300 years, 1,000 years? Mere babes in arms.

And dead!

The oldest living tree in the UK is up to 3,000 years old and still going strong... The Fortingall Yew. Maybe that could give a few lottery numbers ????