Ford Everest re-spray?

Batty

20 hours ago, transam said:

Every car colour has a code, they give the code to the paint supplier then they mix it from base colours.......

Great how does that explain how I took my lump in in the morning and it was finished the next morning. As I have said before get up to date on what they do now.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Great how does that explain how I took my lump in in the morning and it was finished the next morning. As I have said before get up to date on what they do now.

Did you book the ride in, did you show them the damage and at the same time they looked under the hood for the paint code on a stamped plate, or perhaps they KNOW the code for that ride as there are zillions out there in that colour ......?   ????

Just now, transam said:

Did you book the ride in, did you show them the damage and at the same time they looked under the hood for the paint code on a stamped plate, or perhaps they KNOW the code for that ride as there are zillions out there in that colour ......?   ????

Yes went in one afternoon and they said bring in the next morning. They didn't look at any paint code. Just what needed doing damage wise. They must have the right colour. As you say there are lots of Toyo's in that colour.  

14 hours ago, Airalee said:

Body shops always warned me against buying those metallic blues.  You know of the reason for that? (Asking seriously)

Metallic's and Mica's can be a problem, now don't hold me to this but my friend fixed/painted cars, he told me that these paints had minute bits of "stuff" in, and the air pressure used to spray had to be spot on or the panel will look different to the rest because of the way light reflects off it (the bits) to your eye..????

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Oh and by the way to do a good job a full painted section will be better than a blown in one. Time to get up to date think your still living in the 60s.

I’m guessing that you mean spot painting when you say “blown in one” and full painted section means a respray of the whole bumper cover?    However, in all fairness, you did mention a lot of masking needed.  If a quality refinishing is what you are after, the bumper cover needs to be removed and reinstalled (R&I) rather than leaving it on the automobile and masking off headlamps/trim/etc.  

1 hour ago, transam said:

Metallic's and Mica's can be a problem, now don't hold me to this but my friend fixed/painted cars, he told me that these paints had minute bits of "stuff" in, and the air pressure used to spray had to be spot on or the panel will look different to the rest because of the way light reflects off it (the bits) to your eye..????

The problem I was told about was more with the blues and the propensity to fade.  It was a color used on some Honda’s and Acuras in the late 80s and early 90s.  For some reason, that color supposedly faded differently than other pearls and metallics so if trying to match a faded panel was somewhat achieved...in another year or two, the newly painted panel would then look different than the rest of the car.  Another interesting paint was that Ford color shifting paint on the Mustang of the time (mid 90s) When the shop got a car in, I was told that Ford would supply the paint and that the shop was required to return any left over due to trade industry secrets or something like that.  Never verified it but it sounded interesting.

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

No orange peal on this job. Just take a look at the other snaps I put in Fords have that finish.

That's because the front was in the shade and the wing was in the light. In real time they both look the same. Suggest you look at the other snaps I put in.

Oh and by the way to do a good job a full painted section will be better than a blown in one. Time to get up to date think your still living in the 60s.

The pearl paints don't seem to have much orange peel, or at least its less visible. Check out any dark car (especially black)- most have orange peel. 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:05 AM, fredob43 said:

Just look at the finish.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:26 PM, DavisH said:

The pearl paints don't seem to have much orange peel, or at least its less visible. Check out any dark car (especially black)- most have orange peel. 

No color sanding on mass produced stuff as there's not enough paint to sand.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:10 AM, transam said:

Color looks o.k. It's the finish. There's a distinct difference after the shut line to the fender. Looks like some overspray on the fender after the shut. Not sure if it's overspray or uncleaned polish under the headlamps.

• 2 weeks later...