Thai is the best nationality there is!" Former American pays through the nose to renounce US citizenship

webfact

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

He has been the feature of at least two other stories that made their way on to TVF in the past. Seems to want publicity. Most people who do this keep a low profile unless they're an "accidental American" and a politician in another country, such as Boris Johnson.

I think Boris has already renounced, due to the unreasonable demands of the IRS!????

(Theoretically, a British PM who could have also have been POTUS!?).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Understandable.  USA is based on some principles as Thailand. Have to pay extra for everything and the schools are <deleted> if you cant pay into a good school. If it were Sweden, Denmar, Norway or Finland where you are socially secure and everything is free with or without job then I'll hardly think he would done it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How did his parents, who were probably in their 20's when they brought him here aged 2 get to stay in the country for decades as 'missionaries' and where are they now? As mentioned before I suspect they were children of God cult members which had branches all over the world and especially in countries like Thailand where thy could get away with their abuse of children. Why not give us just one reason why Thai nationality is the 'best'?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

They cant take it away as a person cannot be stateless.

The fact he has been allowed to renounce his US citizenship proves he has no debt to irs.

Good on him, he has no strings to the US and it means nothing to him. Not everyone wants to be a US citizen. 

Welk done i say, if thats what he wants then kudos for doing it.

Oh yes they can take it away from him at any time they duly desire for some action breaking the laws of the land or even a trumped national security issue. There are over 12 million world wide stateless people. When he became a citizen he agreed to certain things. Now being born here is a different thing, but he was not. And he was not the smartest for denouncing his US citizenship. Bad move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

That is what I do not get about the US. If you are living and working overseas and paying tax in the country where you work, why should you still have to worry about the IRS.

As a Brit, that has never been a concern for me. The UK IRS has never been chasing me for anything. I could go back tomorrow and start off fresh after having lived and worked in Thailand for 38 years.  

US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income with a credit for foreign paid tax, an exemption on the first $90000 or so of income and some expense allowance. So as Singapore tax is much lower than US tax he may have had 20 years of back taxes plus fines. 

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

Pretty stupid I say. He could have kept both.

On applying for Thai citizenship if you're not born in Thailand, Thai authorities require applicants for Thai citizenship to make a statement of intent to relinquish their original nationality upon acquisition of the Thai citizenship, so that's what he did. If you're actually born in the Evil Empire but revoked your citizenship I doubt it would be particularly hard to get it back if one wanted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Locked in to paying tax on your worldwide income and having to file tax returns for the rest of your life even if you don't earn in the US, unable or difficult to open bank accounts all over the world and limited investments due to no countries wanting to deal with US people due to stupid FACTA. Those are just a few starting reasons.

OH BS. Expats are exempt from taxes up to the limit of $102k and long as you are physically in another country for 330 days or not be in the US for over 35 days.. But Social Security of 13% needs top be paid, but then again that is for retirement and Medicare. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

On applying for Thai citizenship if you're not born in Thailand, Thai authorities require applicants for Thai citizenship to make a statement of intent to relinquish their original nationality upon acquisition of the Thai citizenship, so that's what he did. If you're actually born in the Evil Empire but revoked your citizenship I doubt it would be particularly hard to get it back if one wanted.

It is a statement of intent. It is not followed up on. Perhaps one of the reasons it is not enforced is that quite a few important Thai people have also obtained foreign citizenship. Also, I do not think that the law actually requires renunciation. 

• Like 2