Thai is the best nationality there is!" Former American pays through the nose to renounce US citizenship

webfact

19 hours ago, zydeco said:

This doesn't let him off the hook with the IRS.

That would be totally irrelevant because he's lived in Thailand since the age of 2.

He must be doing OK in Thailand to have 72,000 baht to basically throw down the toilet on an unnecessary document.

Edited by tropo

Not a very intelligent decision. He could have saved the 70,000 THB plus and just lived with a dual citizenship. No problems, no strings. This guy has shown himself to be the perfect example (poster boy) of the Thai school system. Not sure I understand why this deserved front row space on Thaivisa.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, thequietman said:

KInda makes me wanna put my fingers down my throat and throw up!

He didn't have to actually denounce his American citizenship. One can only assume that he has been indoctrinated much like most of the Thai's I know. Scary. ????

comments like yours make ME wanna belch and ram a rag down YOUR throat, much like too many of the indoctrinated ignoramus parrots I know hang out here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

A person cannot be left stateless. If he kept his US citizenship then he could be stripped of thai citizenship and deported. The UN and ICJ already ruled on this.

Good luck to that theory. There are many camps in Thailand that he can be detained in. He would then need to apply for refugee status for another country.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I think it does, if he's no longer a US citizen. Not mentioned in the article.

There’s a form he’ll have to submit, saying he’s been tax compliant for the past five years, then he is no longer a US tax payer; as long as he has no income from US sources. 

• Like 1

So much for having a Plan B. The reality is clearly that he did not need to do this and it was a symbolic act - perhaps there was some local issue about him being a US citizen because he was born there.  However, if that what it takes to make him happy, then good for him - that's a serious commitment. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chrysaora said:

You're incorrect, as it shows nothing of the sort.   Your conclusion is not logical.

Actually he is correct. By getting rid of his American citizenship he’s no longer liable  for U.S tax. Boris Johnson did the same.

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2017/02/09/brit-boris-johnson-renounces-america-why-we-should-care/amp/

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I believe the US does not allow dual citizenship anymore? And yes they make it expensive to renounce your citizenship. Many people of wealth are doing it due to taxation reasons. The US seems paranoid about losing citizens. 

I have a friend that just got US citizenship.  She did not have to give up her Thai passport.  When my wife became a US citizen around 30 years ago she had to give them her Thai passport.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zydeco said:

This doesn't let him off the hook with the IRS.

That’s right.  Ten more years of filing a US tax return ... assuming he cares anything about what the IRS thinks/does.  I gave my US citizenship up because of tax and that I had two other perfectly good citizenships.  I would never have done that if my only recourse was a Thai citizenship.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

I have a friend that just got US citizenship.  She did not have to give up her Thai passport.  When my wife became a US citizen around 30 years ago she had to give them her Thai passport.

Same for my wife (moved to the US in '07 and became a naturalized US citizen five yrs. later, after having gotten her "green card" (PR status) less than a yr. after arriving). No problems retaining her Thai passport (which she uses to re-enter Thailand after we travel abroad). Her US passport makes it so easy to travel back to the US and to the myriad of other countries that have a visa on arrival policy for US citizens.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Now he better hope he doesn't get trumped up on a false charge or some bad luck mistake and have his Thai citizenship taken away. Then what will he do? Just because he can get it doesn't mean they can't take it away.

I was thinking the same, thailand is great until you get on the wrong side of the law or have an accident etc, thai citizenship or not he's still going to be looked upon as a Farang who speaks good Thai, but to be fair if he's lived here since the age of two then you can hardly blame him, good luck to him......

4 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

That’s right.  Ten more years of filing a US tax return ... assuming he cares anything about what the IRS thinks/does.  I gave my US citizenship up because of tax and that I had two other perfectly good citizenships.  I would never have done that if my only recourse was a Thai citizenship.

I think that is for "covered" expats, ie. expats over a certain net worth at the time of renouncing. I think $2.5M but not sure. Lower than that and you are DONE filling out tax returns after correctly renouncing.

I believe IIRC from another thread on Udom that to obtain Thai citizenship he had to sign a letter of intent to renounce his US citizenship but the consensus was he didn’t have to actually go through with it ?

Either way, the guy did wanted to do for a long time and I am personally happy for him .

Just now, baz69er said:

I was thinking the same, thailand is great until you get on the wrong side of the law or have an accident etc, thai citizenship or not he's still going to be looked upon as a Farang who speaks good Thai, but to be fair if he's lived here since the age of two then you can hardly blame him, good luck to him......

13 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Same for my wife (moved to the US in '07 and became a naturalized US citizen five yrs. later, after having gotten her "green card" (PR status) less than a yr. after arriving). No problems retaining her Thai passport (which she uses to re-enter Thailand after we travel abroad). Her US passport makes it so easy to travel back to the US and to the myriad of other countries that have a visa on arrival policy for US citizens.

Great, and hope you are doing your FBAR's.

4 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Great, and hope you are doing your FBAR's.

Yup, do it every year with my taxes (almost all of my money is still in the US (S&P 500 up over 40% last yr) so I pay taxes on any cap. gains, interest, and dividend income). Takes about 1 min. to write out the bank name, acct. numbers and balance. Much simpler than my tax returns actually.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Does he really think all this nationalist nonsense will get him anywhere? He’s just proved he is as daft as he looks; anyone in standing won’t have time for the clown.

Nationalist nonsense?  Oh, dear, I think you may have come down with a spot of it yourself!