My GF bought a bike with no green book

Jonathan99

My gf is in one of islands in Thailand and staying there for a while and bought a cheap bike with no green book. The deed has been done already. My question now - if the bike happens to be stolen and police stops her and check the registration , can she get into some kind of troubles besides a fine and the bike being taken from her ?  We don’t care so much about the money as it was a cheap bike, but I don’t want her to get into some kind of troubles driving a stolen scooter.

Thanks In advance for any help 

Edited by Jonathan99

7 minutes ago, Jonathan99 said:

I don’t want her to get into some kind of troubles driving a stolen scooter.

Buy her one with a green book that is fully legal..you might take a chance and ask at the Local police station if they can check if the bike is stolen or at the Department of Land transportation..its still risky  best to never buy a bike without a green book unless its never ever going to be on the public roads again.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Well they do ask to see  at least a copy of green book in some places  like Pattaya.

Yes, thats right, technically you are supposed to carry a copy but usually not something police ask for, unless its looking for donations in expat areas. Most of the time a license and current tax sticker is enough for a checkpoint.

Even if the OPs GF had the green book/copy, it doesn't constitute ownership. If her name isn't in the greenbook, she still doesn't own it

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So long as the tax sticker is paid up to date

Which you can't renew without green book. So she might get fined for driving an un-taxed bike.

If she gets into an accident then insurance doesn't cover either.

If the bike is stolen she might have some explaining/proving to do with the police as well. I hope she has at least some proof of purchase with the ID card of the previous "owner".

The story about green book lost is always fishy. Not a huge hassle to get a new one from the DLT if one really wanted.

I'd never ever purchase a bike or car without book. Immediate red flag.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, johng said:

Well they do ask to see  at least a copy of green book in some places  like Pattaya.

If it's legal like the person she bought off she can get a new book from DLT,  don't see why all the gloom and doom, she is on an island.  

Copy of house book of bike owner, copy of I'D card, recept of of payment and off to DLT. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Which you can't renew without green book. So she might get fined for driving an un-taxed bike.

If she gets into an accident then insurance doesn't cover either.

If the bike is stolen she might have some explaining/proving to do with the police as well. I hope she has at least some proof of purchase with the ID card of the previous "owner".

The story about green book lost is always fishy. Not a huge hassle to get a new one from the DLT if one really wanted.

I'd never ever purchase a bike or car without book. Immediate red flag.

OP's g/f can tax & insure if she gets paperwork from the previous owner. 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If it's legal like the person she bought off she can get a new book from DLT,  don't see why all the gloom and doom, she is on an island.  

Copy of house book of bike owner, copy of I'D card, recept of of payment and off to DLT. 

Without a green book, you dont know who the owner is. Not much use having housebook and ID for someone who isnt the owner, or worse, when the owner in the green book is Honda finance.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OP's g/f can tax & insure if she gets paperwork from the previous owner. 

Really? They always required the green book when I wanted to renew the road tax. Isn't it even printed into the book? I don't have one right now to check.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

No money. 

Doesn't cost that much I'd assume? At least the seller should be open to getting a new book after the sale, worst case the buyer covers the cost.

If the seller doesn't want to do that then I'd strongly suspect something is amiss.

The bike could also be still on finance.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Without a green book, you dont know who the owner is. Not much use having housebook and ID for someone who isnt the owner, or worse, when the owner in the green book is Honda finance.

Well ever heard of a number plate and a visit to DLT will reveal all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

Really? They always required the green book when I wanted to renew the road tax. Isn't it even printed into the book? I don't have one right now to check.

Doesn't cost that much I'd assume? At least the seller should be open to getting a new book after the sale, worst case the buyer covers the cost.

If the seller doesn't want to do that then I'd strongly suspect something is amiss.

The bike could also be still on finance.

You all and most are missing the point, g/f goes DLT for new book and renews tax & insurance.

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You all and most are missing the point, g/f goes DLT for new book and renews tax & insurance.

Don't think I missed the point. I strongly suggest to get a new green book. Only saying that if the previous "owner" doesn't play ball then something is wrong. It's not too much effort to get a new book from the DLT. BTW they might want a "lost greenbook" police report.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

But the DLT wont be giving the GF a replacement green book, she isnt the owner.

Thats no different to me taking my neighbors bike and going to the DLT and asking for a green book., 

Even if the GF goes to the DLT and confirms the person she gave money to is indeed the owner, she still wont have a green book and she still doesnt own the bike.

Until the owner can produce a greenbook (with their name in it), the bike cannot be sold, the tax cannot be payed.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

a vehicle can be taxed with a copy of the green/blue book

if on finance the company will hold onto the book and supply a copy, 

does the bike have a number plate

so either stole or still on finance or a lazy previous owner, take your pick

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

But the DLT wont be giving the GF a replacement green book, she isnt the owner.

Thats no different to me taking my neighbors bike and going to the DLT and asking for a green book., 

Even if the GF goes to the DLT and confirms the person she gave money to is indeed the owner, she still wont have a green book and she still doesnt own the bike.

Until the owner can produce a greenbook (with their name in it), the bike cannot be sold, the tax cannot be payed.

No not at my DLT maybe yours.

Well I got a new green book for my bike just needed the owners paperwork and a trip to DLT . 

It's the same procedure if book is lost but as said green book police report lost may be required by DLT.