Outrage as tourist leaves his mark on Nai Thon rocks

snoop1130

Outrage as tourist leaves his mark on Nai Thon rocks

By Khunanya Wanchanwet

1582880479_1-org.jpg

The graffiti on the rock at Nai Thon beach, believed to have been done by a Russian street artist under the tag name ‘dem51’. Photo: The National Park

PHUKET:-- A tourist has been lambasted for graffiting a section of rocks at Nai Thon beach which went viral over social media yesterday (Feb 27) and alerted police to the crime.

The person believed to be the culprit, a Russian national, was identified via Facebook and Instagram posts that showcased photo evidence of identical handiwork to that which appeared at Nai Thon.

They also shared the same personalised tag name ‘dem51’ that appeared on the rock graffiti.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/outrage-as-tourist-leaves-his-mark-on-nai-thon-rocks-75044.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-28
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, J Town said:

WHAT the HELL is wrong with people? While I was in the Navy on the USS Enterprise (CVN 65), we were warned EVERY time we pulled into a port of double jeopardy - if we did something stupid like this, we would suffer the wrath of the country we offended THEN we faced equal or more punishment from the Navy. No one considers consequences any more. 

Yep, same here. When we left the base, and IF someone did something stupid ( aka illegal ) and got caught....first he/she was nailed in Civy court. Then, after all was said and done, the "criminal" was charged again on the base. Another meaning of 'double time.'

• Like 1

He concluded with a stern warning: “We are responsible for the protection and maintenance of the National Park and this kind of act of vandalism will be punishable with a fine not exceeding 500 baht.”

NOT Exceeding 500 Baht...........A pathetic slap on the wrist..........

In the U.K......................

"Under the Criminal Damage Act 1971, anyone caught doing graffiti can face a prison sentence of up to ten years or fined if the damage costs more than £5,000."

47 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

He concluded with a stern warning: “We are responsible for the protection and maintenance of the National Park and this kind of act of vandalism will be punishable with a fine not exceeding 500 baht.”

NOT Exceeding 500 Baht...........A pathetic slap on the wrist..........

In the U.K......................

"Under the Criminal Damage Act 1971, anyone caught doing graffiti can face a prison sentence of up to ten years or fined if the damage costs more than £5,000."

How does this Banksy guy get away with it in UK?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stouricks said:

How does this Banksy guy get away with it in UK?

UK Applies a more relaxed view on 'street art' vs graffiti a 'Banksy' I pass on the way to work has a protective perspex cover that was placed by the local council looks just fine - 'art for the people'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

UK Applies a more relaxed view on 'street art' vs graffiti a 'Banksy' I pass on the way to work has a protective perspex cover that was placed by the local council looks just fine - 'art for the people'

That's why some places in UK look as if there's been an explosion in the Halford's Car Paint Department.  555

Árt for the People ain't Art for Me.

18 hours ago, J Town said:

WHAT the HELL is wrong with people? While I was in the Navy on the USS Enterprise (CVN 65), we were warned EVERY time we pulled into a port of double jeopardy - if we did something stupid like this, we would suffer the wrath of the country we offended THEN we faced equal or more punishment from the Navy. No one considers consequences any more. 

This behavior has become so common with foreigners i full can understand why so many Thais consider us dangerous barbarians. Don,t bitch the next time your visa gets more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

The fines here are a joke and the foreigners know it. Make it hurt and hurt bad. Start off at 200,000 baht , 1 year in prison, deported for life. Start making examples of all these foreign freaks.

They should be paying the Russian. Work of art mate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

This behavior has become so common with foreigners i full can understand why so many Thais consider us dangerous barbarians. Don,t bitch the next time your visa gets more difficult.

What behaviour? Doodling on a rock on a beach? Dangerous barbarians? Yea right! So a teacher whipping little girls with a long stick isn't dangerous and barbaric? Thais have a long way to go before they can call us barbarians.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, stouricks said:

That's why some places in UK look as if there's been an explosion in the Halford's Car Paint Department.  555

Árt for the People ain't Art for Me.

If consideration for the surrounding environment is taken into account then for example a stark bare boring concrete wall can be transformed into a canvas to brighten the surroundings. Not sure spray painting rocks on a beach is showing the same intelligent consideration. 'street art' does have it's place, people just need to  relax and accept that 'graffiti' and 'street art' are probably defined by their impact on the immediate environment

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

how much?

If the value of criminal damage exceeds £5,000 the maximum penalty for those aged 18 or over is ten years imprisonment and for those aged 12-17 years the maximum custodial penalty is a detention and training order of up to 24 months. Where the damage is less than £5,000 the maximum sentence is three months imprisonment or a fine of £2,500 for adult offenders.

An alternative sanction for minor graffiti offences is the issue of a penalty notice. Under the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 Police Community Support Officers and those persons accredited under the community safety scheme are allowed to issue penalty notices of £50.

A bit more than 500 Baht !!

Edited by LeungKen
Font size

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Or send 'em round your house, it's only walls......?  ????

I won’t cry, but it’s not like they destroyed a work of art.  Rocks are easier to clean than walls.  In one apartment I rented, I had one whole wall don buy a graffiti artist. 

Edited by Redline