Business gutted for plastics, aircons, clothing

snoop1130

Business gutted for plastics, aircons, clothing

By The Nation

800_7b87d267000d13d.jpg

Representatives of three overseas-reliant industries said this week the Covid-19 outbreak is wreaking havoc on business.

Yuttana Silpsarnvitch, president of the Thai Garment Manufacturers Association, said the sudden death of foreign tourists – his industry’s main customers – had resulted in business contracting by 20 per cent.

Adding that the severe drought has been another damaging factor, he said garment makers will be struggling to stay afloat until April when the virus situation is expected to ease.

Aroon Eamsureya, chairman of the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Club, a member of the Federation of Thai Industries, said the business was already slow because of the United States and China duelling over trade tariffs, but the virus has caused even more harm.

Thailand is second only to China among the world’s top exporters of air conditioners, normally shipping 18 million units a year, he said. Its exports were worth Bt170 billion in 2019 and domestic sales generated another Bt20 billion in revenue. 

But those numbers have tumbled this year, Aroon said, and the overall Thai economy will suffer.

Paradorn Chulajata, chairman of the Plastic Industry Club, another federation member, said the virus outbreak had swept aside targets for orders and sales in a knock-on effect from the damage caused to makers of automobiles, electrical devices and containers of all sorts, all major Thai exports.

“We’ve been feeling the effects since January,” he said. “Both domestic and foreign orders have dropped from the usual Bt10 million-Bt12 billion a year by 3-5 per cent a month.”

Plastic beads and other plastic products brought in Bt900 billion from overseas in 2019, representing 7-8 per cent of gross domestic product, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383025

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-28

8 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Yuttana Silpsarnvitch, president of the Thai Garment Manufacturers Association, said the sudden death of foreign tourists – his industry’s main customers – had resulted in business contracting by 20 per cent.

I trust that Mr. Silpsarnvitch means 'the sudden dearth of foreign tourists'. Otherwise we may have cause for alarm! ????

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Adding that the severe drought has been another damaging factor, he said garment makers will be struggling to stay afloat until April when the virus situation is expected to ease

I hope he is not relying on the advice of Trump and other jokers who say that hot weather will blow the virus away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I trust that Mr. Silpsarnvitch means 'the sudden dearth of foreign tourists'. Otherwise we may have cause for alarm! ????

Yet you couldn't deny that there is something like a tourist sudden death syndrome in Thailand, could you?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

garment makers will be struggling to stay afloat until April when the virus situation is expected to ease.

Well that’s some false information.  I guess people actually still believe Trump, Xi and Prayut.  If anything, It will get worse in Thailand because when it rains, people congregate inside where it is more easily spread.  I suspect the additional humidity will also help keep the infected droplets lingering longer?

Ah the beauty of the English language. The ability to read a headline, make an assumption and find out, it was another meaning of the word used.

Gutted: How many meanings? I found 3, remove the internal organs of an animal, remove or destroy the internals of a building, and cause someone to be extremely upset or disappointed.