How long does probate take here?

Lacessit

Allow her to have signing rights on the 800K account  (not name ---because of Immigration) also the PIN number of your card for that account. that should tie her over until she has waded Thai through paper mountain--to access all the accounts you left her.

I have everything (most things) in wife's name---but we are both pensioners now, lots of history, so I appreciate that might not be a comfortable situation with all couples.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Your posts make no sense. Obviously a bargirl deal for you.

They make a great deal of sense, thank you.

Bar girl deal.huh?Well that's senselessness...

The poster has responded,is an intelligent man, and no doubt will get on doing whatever he is doing.

I made it a Golden Rule in Thailand to NEVER listen to another expat-under any circumstances whatsoever.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Well he could use net banking if in hospital. At least move some if a few weeks off carking it. Some people drop dead in 1 hour though. The other option is give her your passwords. Up to you. Depends if this is some fling or more.

Seven years is a fairly long fling.

Also, by the Commercial Code of Thailand, the will must be given to the court and checks completed, then there's a period of time (by law) which must pass before any action to grant probate by the court can occur, to allow time for other people to lodge any objections to the will.

E.g. one person holding a will dated 1 Jan 2020 and this is the will presented to the court for probate, but in fact there's another more recent will completed 2 Jan 2020 all properly completed but held by a different person.

Clearly the more recent will totally overrides / totally cancels any earlier will. I think (repeat think) the waiting period is 90 days but this needs checking. 

About 12 months ago I made a new will here in LOS, and my adult Thai son also, the well experienced Thai lawyer mentioned the above.

My understanding is that the law on this subject is the same in 99% / maybe 100% of countries worldwide (but of course the actual waiting time may be different). 

18 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Allow her to have signing rights on the 800K account  (not name ---because of Immigration) also the PIN number of your card for that account.

don't somebody have to report to your bank you are dead, aka, account frozen ?

pin number, good idea ... and one day, you break up or have to go to immigration and you find out you have 0 baht on the account left

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I listen when you post photos of gorgeous chicks.

the one that drove you crazy i can't find anymore !   she was so hot i guess the hard drive just

got too hard  and  shattered.  

back on topic.   i always thought pro bait  was referring to the professionals that could steal

a man's heart in two weeks or less.    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, justin case said:

pin number, good idea ... and one day, you break up or have to go to immigration and you find out you have 0 baht on the account left

No your under no obligation to report to a bank. The account can sit there with 100 baht in it until they close it for inactivity. Also it is her account (or will be re the will) Re the PIN number That is the card to the same bank account ---the OP states that he has other accounts but just wants her to have money until she can sort those accounts out.

if you feel that you  are the sort of relationship....where you may wake up one morning and all your clothes are gone-------then this solution isn't for you..........:coffee1:

I recently went through this process of probate in Phuket.

1. You need a lawyer

2. Death certificate, will, plus any other documents (bank book chanotes etc.)

3. Appear in court before a judge who will verify everything and ask lots of questions; then grant interim probate if he/she is satisfied.

4. Wait for statuary period for full probate to be granted - this can vary, I was told, but in my case was 1 month.

I did not inform the bank or any legal body in Thailand and continued to draw funds on behalf of the will's beneficiary during this period.

In total 6 weeks start to finish.

I am told that having the will witnessed by and lodged with a lawyer helps speed the process.

PM me if you wish to have the contact details of the efficient and honest lawyer I used in Phuket (it took me a long time and some bad experiences before I found him!)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PaoloR said:

I recently went through this process of probate in Phuket.

1. You need a lawyer

2. Death certificate, will, plus any other documents (bank book chanotes etc.)

3. Appear in court before a judge who will verify everything and ask lots of questions; then grant interim probate if he/she is satisfied.

4. Wait for statuary period for full probate to be granted - this can vary, I was told, but in my case was 1 month.

I did not inform the bank or any legal body in Thailand and continued to draw funds on behalf of the will's beneficiary during this period.

In total 6 weeks start to finish.

I am told that having the will witnessed by and lodged with a lawyer helps speed the process.

PM me if you wish to have the contact details of the efficient and honest lawyer I used in Phuket (it took me a long time and some bad experiences before I found him!)

The will has been witnessed by my GF's lawyer, translated into English as well. About 5000 baht if I remember correctly. We're in the Chiang Rai area. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justin case said:

When you open an account the Terms and Conditions require you to notify the bank if an account holder dies. If a joint account holder drains the account when the other account holder has died that is illegal. The bank is required to abide by the ruling of the Probate Court alone, the bank will not know if a will that is presented to them is the latest will or if taxes are owed by the deceased.

My understanding is that the Probate Court requires 90 days, I also understand banks can take a further 90 days before final settlement is made.