Forbes: Warning Issued For Millions Of Google Chrome Users

techietraveller84

"In a new blog post, Google has confirmed three “High” level vulnerabilities within Chrome 80, one of which (CVE-2020-6418) is a zero-day exploit that “exists in the wild”. This makes sticking on the current version of Chrome an immediate danger."

Time to update or switch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/02/27/google-chrome-80-upgrade-zero-day-vulnerability-security-problem-update-chrome-browser/#595773b077af

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Well, you can't update a current version until they release a fix

The article mentioned that a fix IS available.  In the future If no fix is available and the flaw only exists in a certain version, then you may consider downgrading to an older version which can be found with a web search.

I recently temporarily reverted Chrome to a 4 year old version so that I could install a favorite (Clearly) extension that hasn’t been updated for several years.  Once I had the extension working I re-installed the latest Chrome and the extension was still good.  This was done on a Mac, but the workaround also works on Windows.

• Like 1

I have google chrome 80.0.3987.122 on my laptop which was installed on 2/25/2020. Does this mean I have the necessary patches (fixes) for google chrome now? If not.  how do I download the necessary fix for this security vulnerability?

30 minutes ago, watgate said:

I have google chrome 80.0.3987.122 on my laptop which was installed on 2/25/2020. Does this mean I have the necessary patches (fixes) for google chrome now? If not.  how do I download the necessary fix for this security vulnerability?

That appears to be the latest version with the security issues fixed.

From the linked article

In response, Google has released Chrome 80.0.3987.122 with patches for all three exploits and users around the world should be receiving update warnings in their browsers right now. If you haven’t you can trigger the update process manually by going to the three-dot menu in the top right corner of Chrome > Help > About Google Chrome. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago

Why is there a warning message in the chrome web store to

Google recommends switching to Chrome to use extensions securely.

Heads up Folks

Win ????