New Zealand PM Ardern says Australia's deportation policy is 'corrosive'

rooster59

New Zealand PM Ardern says Australia's deportation policy is 'corrosive'

By Colin Packham

2020-02-28T044536Z_1_LYNXNPEG1R0A7_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-NEWZEALAND.JPG

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison hold a joint press conference at Admiralty House in Sydney, Australia, February 28, 2020. REUTERS/Loren Elliott

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia's deportation policy is so "corrosive" that it has soured its bilateral relationship with New Zealand, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Friday, a rare bust-up between the two historic allies.

Australia's conservative government has in recent months moved to deport thousands of foreigners convicted of crimes as part of an immigration crackdown that can also strip dual-nationals of their Australian citizenship.

The move has seen hundreds of people deported to New Zealand, a country that some left when just children and have few ties to.

"We have countless who have no home in New Zealand, they have no network, they have grown up in Australia. That is their home. And that is where they should stay," Ardern told reporters in Sydney during a media conference alongside Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

"Do not deport your people and your problems."

The two countries have fought in numerous conflicts alongside each other, and squabbles between the two rarely break-out beyond playful, light-hearted banter over sport and culture.

Roughly 650,000 New Zealand citizens - more than a tenth of the smaller country’s population - live in Australia.

Morrison, however, was unapologetic and promised no change in Australian policy.

"If you have committed a crime and you're not a citizen of Australia, then you have no right to stay," Morrison told the same media conference.

The disagreement comes as Ardern faces a tight race to keep her premiership when New Zealanders return to the polls on Sep 19.

Ardern is hugely popular among liberal voters globally thanks to her compassionate but decisive response to a mass shooting, her focus on climate change action and multilateralism, and her ability to combine motherhood and leadership.

But at home, slow economic growth and low business confidence, a failed state housing project and scandals sees her centre-left Labour trailing the conservative National Party.

"The election is on the knife edge. The issue is extremely sensitive back home, so giving Australia a kick in the ribs can't hurt at all," said Peter Chen, a political science professor at University of Sydney.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never met a Kiwi I didn't like (obviously not a large enough subset 555) but bottom line, if you are a serial offender or committed a serious crime and are not an Aussie citizen I see no issue with kicking them out IMO.

As for Ardern, I may not see eye-to-eye with her politics but I wish she was an Aussie.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

OK, conceded, it's easier for Australians to get PR, and you did specify that in the quoted text, but I was talking about criteria for citizenship. 

Sorry, disagree with what you call a myth. Kiwis do have a lower unemployment rate now, but again I was was taking about a point in the past when they could step off the plane and be eligible for unemployment benefits. Bondi was an infamous Kiwi hangout in those days. Affordable rental accommodation near the beach made it very popular.

Look I don’t deny that there were bludgers, but all that was needed was to put in waiting times for access to benefits. Instead, they (we) restricted access to citizenship. 

It may not sound like much, but give we are 20 years into it, lots of kiwis who have lived and worked in Australia for that duration when they fall on hard times find themselves out in the cold despite paying taxes. There’s a huge list, but things like access to the NDIS, disaster relief, access to shelters for domestic abuse victims, in some cases university education. The list goes on. All Australia has to do is create a straight forward path the PR for these people, but it simply doesn’t exist under the system we have. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You seem to be assuming I agree with all the policies now being utilized by the current government. Not so, I haven't voted conservative since the 1975 coup. Their current unbalanced and divisive policies are not likely to change this former national union official's mind. 

I'm just trying to give some context as to why it's not automatic for NZers to get citizenship in Australia. It's more about how easy they made it for people to get it in their country. People who would never be able to apply in Australia, have used that side door.  As is the way with unimaginative politicians, they've closed the door for all. 

The fact that The Agreement basically gives New Zealanders the right to live and work permanently, but precludes them from full PR and automatic citizenship, does seem unfair, particularly for the many good people living long term in Australia. (Still much better than my rights in Thailand!) The legislation should perhaps be amended to make it easier for those of good character to receive full benefits. However, many also believe the myth that Nzers are all wonderful, good people.  I've seen all sides, having  granted citizenship to hundreds and once headed up a criminal deportation branch. Guess which nationality were the biggest customers for the latter. 

(Note: my 2nd wife was from New Zealand)

Fascinating your last job must have been! 

I must admit reading your post makes a refreshing change. This is an issue close to my heart given I’ve got NZ citizen family members some the right side of 2001 and others not. Most people don’t understand the nucances. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, samran said:

Fascinating your last job must have been! 

I must admit reading your post makes a refreshing change. This is an issue close to my heart given I’ve got NZ citizen family members some the right side of 2001 and others not. Most people don’t understand the nucances. 

My last job was working with refugees.

13 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

To be deported requires that you have actually been sentences to a year or longer.  Takes a very serious offence, or multiple offences to get that long.

As you say, most of these people had the choice to get nationalised, but wanted the best of both worlds.

Why do you believe someone with a lengthy criminal record would be able to apply and achieve Oz citizenship?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

However, I admire Australia sticking up for itself finally and hope the U.K. follows suit. We are already starting a roll out of an Australia style points system for immigrants to reside in the UK.

I too hope that the UK initiates a points style system for immigrants, and in my opinion it is well overdue

As for NZ, there has been a type of points style system in operation since the early 1980s (or before?), however it was based on whether the skills of the potential immigrant were those which were required in NZ, or were likely to benefit the country in one way or another. If they weren't, then citizenship was denied.

In principle, I don't have a problem with Australia deporting criminals back to their countries, this especially after it has been stated here that migrants from NZ, residing in Australia, do have a chance to take up Australian citizenship; so they should have done this.

A difficult subject and I'm sure it's not as clear-cut as one would like, and something which springs to mind is the situation where a New Zealand family emigrates to Australia and has a child, which 18 years later commits a crime, so as he is still ostensibly a New Zealand citizen, does he get sent back to NZ??.

• Like 2