Study in support of vegan-food development amid growing trend

rooster59

Study in support of vegan-food development amid growing trend

By THE NATION

800_ad8fa0bdf003dff.jpg

In response to the growing trend of veganism around the world, the National Food Institute has conducted a market study in support of further development of the vegan-food industry in Thailand.

There are around 750 million vegans worldwide, or 10 per cent of global population with the majority residing in EU and the US.

Vegan-food.jpg

Vegan food manufacturers have been developing and distributing new products to major markets. More than 470 vegan items were distributed in the past four years with a 14.5 per cent increase in the number of new products each year.

The National Food Institute also said that new investors needed to study the market in all aspects, since it is still new and “ the attitude of vegans is different to that of a vegetarian".

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383042

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-29
  • Haha 1

The National Food Institute also said that new investors needed to study the market in all aspects, since it is still new and “the attitude of vegans is different to that of a vegetarian".

Yeah - sure vegans have an attitude problem, unlike vegetarians? First I've heard of it.  The nutritional secret to healthy longevity and prevention of the three main serious diseases (arterial blockage, stroke, and cancer) is to maximise the consumption of fruit, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and nuts and seeds - and minimise everything else. 

A standard vegan diet is insufficient in that the unhealthy food industry is homing in on a lucrative profit line by producing processed packaged meat-free junk food - containing oils, additives, preservatives, sugar and salt. A fried chip butty or a meatless burger - no thanks. Stick to plant based whole foods.

For meat eaters as well as vegans, by following a nutritarian diet - refer to Joel Fuhrman MD, Eat for Life: The Breakthrough Nutrient-Rich Program for Longevity, Disease Reversal, and Sustained Weight Loss - March 2020 - is the best bang they can get for their buck.  

• Like 2

There are around 750 million vegans worldwide, or 10 per cent of global population with the majority residing in EU and the US.

Where did they get that number? If there were 750 million vegans worldwide that would be huge, and majority of the 750 million in the US and EU, how? US + EU population is just over 800 million altogether. There are estimated around 6-8 million vegans in the US, but even that is too optimistic by some more critical calculations. A more realistic estimation would likely be something like 1% of worldwide population, ie 75 million vegans worldwide, but that is just an optimistic guess pretty much as well.
https://veganbits.com/vegan-demographics/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

To get 750 million vegans worldwide you would likely have to be very loose with what the term vegan means, meaning not really vegan at all, but perhaps loosely plant-based or some type of vegetarian, which is NOT vegan (and could pretty much mean anything). This 750 million most likely is including estimations such as India's 360 million, China's 68 million and Brazil's 16 million, which are pretty surely not actual vegans, rather than some type of vegetarians for the most part. Though for sure China's vegan population is growing (in the bigger cities mainly), but it's a huge place, same might be true for India and Brazil likely, but it's not going to be anywhere close to this wild numbers.

A standard vegan diet is insufficient in that the unhealthy food industry is homing in on a lucrative profit line by producing processed packaged meat-free junk food - containing oils, additives, preservatives, sugar and salt. A fried chip butty or a meatless burger - no thanks. Stick to plant based whole foods.

100%. Vegan junk food is only marginally better than animal-derived ingredients based processed food. But the idea seems to be to normalize plant-based foods, not sure how effective that will be in the long run, proper education on food would seem a better approach, but obviously not as good of a business. Also, if you look at the plant based food industries investor pitches they are pretty clear that they are targeting people with regular diets, not vegans or even vegetarians, cause those are too small niche markets.

For meat eaters as well as vegans, by following a nutritarian diet - refer to Joel Fuhrman MD, Eat for Life: The Breakthrough Nutrient-Rich Program for Longevity, Disease Reversal, and Sustained Weight Loss - March 2020 - is the best bang they can get for their buck. 

Fuhrman is a sketchy character unfortunately (using fake testimonials for one thing etc). I would also look at McDougall https://www.drmcdougall.com and also many others and use common sense and think for yourself rather than follow anyones recommendationd/guidelines blindly.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am vegetarian but I am not one by choice. The reason why this is happening to me is because I am allergic to a lot of chemicals they use in the process of creating foods. I have been allergic to food dyes and different chemicals all my life. The first time I ate processed food I went into an anaphylactic shock. They rushed me to the hospital, treated me and suggested I take a full allergic testing panel. My allergist suggested a full set of tests (it was close to 700 tests). I went to a private lab that tested me for all possible allergens (food and non food alike. If you want to get tested you can visit their website here: intolerancelab.co.uk). The results were in 5 to 7 days later. I had to go to a vegetarian diet and cut out most of the processed foods. It's not an easy way to live but I am feeling fine and with supplements and regular B12 shots I am fine. 

Edited by seb345