Salary halved for boss of Bangkok Airways

By THE NATION

800_1a120050e742232.jpg

Bangkok Airways Plc (BA) will impose stringent cost-reduction measures, including cutting the salaries of high-ranking executives, in response to the global economic slowdown and the impact of the Covid-19 virus, it said on Friday (February 28).

Thai Airways International (THAI) had earlier also announced a reduction of between 15 and 25 per cent in salaries and other perks for executives, from the president down, to trim costs in the midst of the virus outbreak.

“Due to the economic downturn and the outbreak of Covid-19 affecting various industries worldwide, particularly the tourism and aviation sectors, Bangkok Airways has reviewed and adjusted its strategic plan in response,” said BA president Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth.

The plan includes measures to reduce expenditures in order to continue effective business operations. The measures will be in effect from Sunday “until further notice”.

They include:

• A decrease in flight frequency and flight terminations on certain routes according to passenger demand

• Salaries halved for the CEO/president, executive vice president of corporate administration and senior vice president of finance and accounting

• No salary increments in 2020 for department heads

• Certain benefits reduced for all management and employees

• All station managers (overseas and elsewhere in Thailand) to return to Bangkok

• All staff take leave without pay of 10-30 days depending on job level

The airline said the measures will not affect aviation and flight operation safety or passenger services.

BA’s total revenue last year was Bt28.6 billion, up by 2.4 per cent compared to 2018. Net profit was Bt356.7 million, up by 35.3 per cent.

The airline carried 5.86 million passengers last year, down 1.6 per cent from 2018.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30383036

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-29

• Like 1

Seems Bangkok airways knows how to run business . One point though I do not agree with is staff taking unpaid holidays. Saying that , if it’s a choice take an unpaid 10 day holiday or be made redundant , perhaps unpaid holiday would be first choice 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

All staff take leave without pay of 10-30 days depending on job level

The airline said the measures will not affect aviation and flight operation safety or passenger services.

Unfair to expect the poorly paid employees to take leave without pay.

If these measures will not affect operation, safety or service, are they just trimming snaouts at the trough?

Edited by RJRS1301

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

BA’s total revenue last year was Bt28.6 billion, up by 2.4 per cent compared to 2018. Net profit was Bt356.7 million, up by 35.3 per cent.

The airline carried 5.86 million passengers last year, down 1.6 per cent from 2018.

Ok, BA's policy in recent years has been to compensate for the loss of passengers with a significant increase in prices, let's expect a nice increase again.
Flying BKK-Samui has been a luxury for years ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, so who IS lying, the tourist board or the people flying the tourists in ? I think we know, the Thai people know and the TAT continue to live in lala land

There are many other airlines flying into Thailand but in answer to your question, it's of course the TAT.

1 hour ago, 30la said:

Ok, BA's policy in recent years has been to compensate for the loss of passengers with a significant increase in prices, let's expect a nice increase again.
Flying BKK-Samui has been a luxury for years ...

In real terms, adjusting for inflation, flying has never been cheaper. You also have to remember flights are only profitable if they are full which is not always the case. BA is run very tight unlike Thai which has an abundance of overpaid and underperforming salary men (and women). JMHO of course.

Edited by Chelseafan

Welcome to March everyone!  I seen a picture of Cathay Jets sitting idle in Hong Kong,

I wonder, how much longer it will take before big changes happen to a lot of Airlines?

I also wonder what the stock markets will look like in a month?

Geezer

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

In real terms, adjusting for inflation, flying has never been cheaper. You also have to remember flights are only profitable if they are full which is not always the case. BA is run very tight unlike Thai which has an abundance of overpaid and underperforming salary men (and women). JMHO of course.

You do realise BA is in reference to Bangkok Airways? Not British Airways.

You are not alone in this area of misconception. I've seen posters go off about the ' common market' as  the European/ British  thing used to be known when the actual thread was about the EEC, or the Thai Eastern Economic Corridor development area.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

You do realise BA is in reference to Bangkok Airways? Not British Airways.

You are not alone in this area of misconception. I've seen posters go off about the ' common market' as  the European/ British  thing used to be known when the actual thread was about the EEC, or the Thai Eastern Economic Corridor development area.

Ah, Read 1/2 the thread, serves me right but point still stands ????

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, so who IS lying, the tourist board or the people flying the tourists in ? I think we know, the Thai people know and the TAT continue to live in lala land

Tourism is up 2.5% (they are all hiding from corona)

On 2/29/2020 at 8:27 AM, rooster59 said:

Half an obscenely large salary is still an obscenely large salary, compared to the hoi-polloi. May we know how much? No, I thought not.