BANGKOK
ChipButty

Can you drive in Thailand on a UK license?

Do you need a International Driving Permit or is a UK license sufficient? only for a 2 week holiday

I think I have read somewhere that the police are asking for it saying that the UK license not enough

Thanks,

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would think it best you and or anyone else wishing to drive in Thailand obtain a International Driving Permit IDP as it goes with your drivers license and if you have any claims through insurance, yours or others your covered.

Thai cops accept most licenses, but when it hits the fan, they will turn the other way and charge you for being unlicensed.

Just another way to extort money I'll advise my guest what to do and what I think is safest. Cheers 

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

According to Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.  Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

Good point, can you say what the insurers require now ?

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Just another way to extort money I'll advise my guest what to do and what I think is safest. Cheers 

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-an-international-driving-permit-in-thailand/

This will answer some questions, interesting read for tourists and others. But travel insurance is "crucial" and if they are going to get it, as I said, it's "crucial" they should read the fine print is going to ride a scooter as some don't cover them, or the cc's have to be below 125 and helmets are a must as are international riding permits

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-an-international-driving-permit-in-thailand/

This will answer some questions, interesting read for tourists and others. But travel insurance is "crucial" and if they are going to get it, as I said, it's "crucial" they should read the fine print is going to ride a scooter as some don't cover them, or the cc's have to be below 125 and helmets are a must as are international riding permits

I've already said no motorbikes, they will be hiring a car but I will point that out about insurance how many people get caught out with none or no cover?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

IDPs are circ £5, alternatively don't bother getting one for additional fun, ensure to ride where the police checkpoints are and let us know how it goes

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Don't worry about it have 400bht in an envelope with a smiley face on it.

😀😀🇹🇭

400 Baht where do you get that from? not in Phuket