Are you about to throw shade at your IMO?

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Incorrect. Brits, USA & Oz still have to have in excess of Bht 65,000 per month TO BE ABLE TO SEND IT HERE.

To send it to Thailand, yes.

All other countries citizens only have to prove they have that kind of income in their homeland.

They don't have to send any money to Thailand, if they don't wish to.

Neither have any amount on a Thai bank account for any laps of time.

This have always been an option for every nationality,

mo more for 3 since a while. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

but for those who have worked all of their lives who couldn't put 800,000 baht in the bank, well, I'm lost for words.

To each his own.

Since 2000 I transfer voluntarily monthly 2000 Euro to Thailand and spend them.

No significant amount on my bank account in my homeland, and Thailand.

When I worked I applied the same principle.

Of course my way, I am not imply that everyone should do as I do.

Freedom of choice.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

I don't think any I.O. is very impressed with an amount of 1 million on a bankbook,

many of them drive a Mercedes.

Do they, how many?  How do you know?

Perhaps all the IOs that you must have checked up on have nice cars by paying just a few thousand baht a month to the finance company after the trade-in or selling their previous car.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

To each his own.

Since 2000 I transfer voluntarily monthly 2000 Euro to Thailand and spend them.

No significant amount on my bank account in my homeland, and Thailand.

When I worked I applied the same principle.

Of course my way, I am not imply that everyone should do as I do.

Freedom of choice.

Of course, if that is another way to qualify, then no need to have the money in a Thai bank account, my point was more so on farangs using agents as opposed to monthly transfers, I mean if they had the monthly income, or the 800,000 baht, they wouldn't require the agent.  

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't want to put money (beyond immediate living expenses) in a Thai bank account.

Same as I don't want to buy worthless Thai health insurance.

If you qualify for the 65,000 baht per month part of it, right you are :coffee1:

• Like 1

I don't see a reason not to put the 800k into a Thai bank if you have the funds.

When I decided to stay long time here in 2009, the 800k THB were about 

16k Euro. Now it's about 23.5k Euro. Not so bad, I guess.

And does anybody really believe the banks in our home countries are much saver if there is a real crash of the international financial system?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

And does anybody really believe the banks in our home countries are much saver if there is a real crash of the international financial system?

I do believe the UK banks are much safer than the Thai banks, the Thai bank tellers, the Thai bank managers, the Thai police, and the Thai women we share our beds with. Not to mention if the Thai police decide to arrest you (on real or bogus charges), and Thai immigration deport you, they're more likely to take your money in a Thai bank.

That Dutch guy, who came here after selling his coffee shops being just one of many examples.

I don't so much worry about any financial systems breaking down, I do worry about a crook in Thailand taking my money from the bank, and nobody caring about recovering it because I'm just another foreigner.

Did you read the thread about the guy making the 500k house deposit, and then someone in the company stealing it, and the company claiming 'not their problem'?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I do believe the UK banks are much safer than the Thai banks, the Thai bank tellers, the Thai bank managers, the Thai police, and the Thai women we share our beds with. Not to mention if the Thai police decide to arrest you (on real or bogus charges), and Thai immigration deport you, they're more likely to take your money in a Thai bank.

That Dutch guy, who came here after selling his coffee shops being just one of many examples.

I don't so much worry about any financial systems breaking down, I do worry about a crook in Thailand taking my money from the bank, and nobody caring about recovering it because I'm just another foreigner.

Did you read the thread about the guy making the 500k house deposit, and then someone in the company stealing it, and the company claiming 'not their problem'?

The UK banks are less save:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banking_crises

The Dutch guy got shafted by the Dutch government, not the Thais.

If the Thai police arrest you there must be a reason, if they don't I would be out in no time and make sure they lose their job.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2