Moving PR status to other passport of a dual national

Hi Guys, 

I currently hold Thai PR status on my current citizenship passport.  I will hopefully obtain a second citizenship by next year which has a better visa free travel than my current citizenship. If possible, I would love to move my Thai PR to my new citizenship passport. I don't know if it will be possible/allowed by Thai immigration?  Has any body got any info or personal experience regarding this? 

I would have asked this question at Chaeng wattana PR department myself but my next trip to them is not due until November. 

It might be easier not to change you PR status to a new nationality. Just do what Thai's do that have another nationality do. Leave the country using your passport that your PR is based upon, enter and depart the the other country using your other passport and then enter Thailand using your passport that your PR is for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sas_cars said:

...I would have asked this question at Chaeng wattana PR department myself but my next trip to them is not due until November. 

Your immigration office will not mind if you visit them now with your PR transfer question without having another pending business with them at the moment.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It might be easier not to change you PR status to a new nationality. Just do what Thai's do that have another nationality do. Leave the country using your passport that your PR is based upon, enter and depart the the other country using your other passport and then enter Thailand using your passport that your PR is for.

Yes that's right. But unfortunately passport swapping is not possible to do on land borders that's the problem.

I seem to remember that new PR approvals are published in the Government Gazette with the name and nationality of the permit holders. If this is the case, I see no way for immigration to change the PR permit from one nationality to another but to be absolutely sure you have to ask your local immigration office.

Whilst it may be technically possible, I wouldn't do it. Thai bureaucracy is creaky at times, and you might fall into unexpected administrative black holes in the future, where, for example, a new set of officials or a different part of the government refuses to recognise the change. 

• Like 1

I'd also leave things as they are, unless you absolutely have to do it for some reason. As we all know, trying to do things that are 'unusual', even if technically possible/legal in Thailand, is often a recipe for disaster!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Maestro said:

Your immigration office will not mind if you visit them now with your PR transfer question without having another pending business with them at the moment.

You know that you dont need to have a passport if you have PR unless you want to go abroad.

21 hours ago, Maestro said:

Agree, I go to Immigration in Chiang Mai to get my new exit/re-entry stamps every year, the 3 ladies who take care of this all speak quite good English, very friendly, good listeners and very keen to answer any questions. 

Good luck.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:15 AM, sas_cars said:

I currently hold Thai PR status on my current citizenship passport.  I will hopefully obtain a second citizenship by next year which has a better visa free travel than my current citizenship. If possible, I would love to move my Thai PR to my new citizenship passport. I don't know if it will be possible/allowed by Thai immigration?  Has any body got any info or personal experience regarding this? 

I would have asked this question at Chaeng wattana PR department myself but my next trip to them is not due until November. 

As was already mentioned - you can go to immigration at any time, no need to wait till your re-entry permit need renewal...

As for moving your PR status from 1 nationality to another - it seems unlikely. PR is granted according to quotas per each country. You got it for your current nationality, therefore I'd say you'll have to go through the whole process of applying for new PR status under your new nationality. Even with the worst possible nationality (passport) for visas to neighboring countries and VERY frequent travel it can't be worth the trouble and costs of doing so. Will probably be cheaper to fly to those destinations and swap passports that way

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:10 AM, LukKrueng said:

As was already mentioned - you can go to immigration at any time, no need to wait till your re-entry permit need renewal...

As for moving your PR status from 1 nationality to another - it seems unlikely. PR is granted according to quotas per each country. You got it for your current nationality, therefore I'd say you'll have to go through the whole process of applying for new PR status under your new nationality. Even with the worst possible nationality (passport) for visas to neighboring countries and VERY frequent travel it can't be worth the trouble and costs of doing so. Will probably be cheaper to fly to those destinations and swap passports that way

Many years agoI trired to have it from my UK passport to my NZ one. Cant be done. PR must be on same passport as when you applied