New coronavirus infection in Thailand takes tally to 42

rooster59

It could be just fake news but a hospital staff in Wang Neua, Lampang province told friends there were 5 cases of the virus in her hospital. This should be investigated by the health authorities for further action if true, and non-action if false.

5 minutes ago, Gee Ku said:

It could be just fake news but a hospital staff in Wang Neua, Lampang province told friends there were 5 cases of the virus in her hospital. This should be investigated by the health authorities for further action if true, and non-action if false.

Interesting, but alarming. I was a diabetic out-patient in this provincial hospital and know it well. There is, as I recall, an isolation ward.

2 hours ago, bagheera65 said:

A friend working in Patpong told me this week that there is plenty of Chinese tourists in Patpong. As i was surprised as i thought they were stopped she told me "they're all around". So, as she is reliable, i suppose there is still more Chinese tourists in Thailand than we can think. Which doesn't mean that all of them are infected by the virus, of course.

Organised tours have been stopped but not self booking travellers.

Mr Kemp 87

Please do not spread untruths on this forum.

Obviously yoyr lack of understanding Thai brings on these comments.

Radio, TV & other media are pushing that if symptoms are shown go to a hospital as soon as possible

where you WILL be tested regardless of being a pauper or a millionaire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of these tourists who this man came into contact are no doubt becoming "Super spreaders". There's got to be hundreds, if not thousands of people who are either in Thailand, or have come here and left who are in intermission, or infected already.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I give it a month and everything will be almost back to normal, the panic served it's purpose and the rich just became richer, make of that what you will.

Yes fear creates panic, but what is the panic about, nothing more than another strain of influenza which kills 500,000 plus people a year worldwide, but we don't hear of that, do we.

If your old, 80+ and have a weak immune system, or have a pre-existing respiratory condition or diabetes, I would be worried to go out until a vaccination is made, as for the rest of us, soldier on as tomorrow you could get bitten with a mosquito and get Malaria which kills around a million, yes a million people a year, or if you get influenza it kills 500,000 + a year, road deaths 1.25 million a year. Now do you feel better ? 

Fair call. 

When 60+ die daily in road accidents, which can be prevented in many cases, one has to put some perspective on the coronavirus and its ability to selectively infect people. 

It will be interesting to see how the government handles a full blown pandemic. 

It fails miserably every day/week/year on the road toll.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

You are correct.

On the big picture, this could be the end for every Soi dog in the country.

Must be a million of them all have to be put down.

Add the farlang overstayers .

Welcome to the kingdom..

Edited by elliss
spelling

19 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Am I right in saying out with China there are less than 3000 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, I appreciate it can spread very quickly but the media attention given is way over the top it’s not like ebola, yes people die but the majority have other ailments.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Active
Cases
Total
Recovered
Serious,
Critical
China 79,257 +433 2,835 +47 37,264 39,158 7,664

20 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Mr Kemp 87

Please do not spread untruths on this forum.

Obviously yoyr lack of understanding Thai brings on these comments.

Radio, TV & other media are pushing that if symptoms are shown go to a hospital as soon as possible

where you WILL be tested regardless of being a pauper or a millionaire

I have no intention of spreading fake news so I apologise if I’m ill informed but I’ve seen this image on various platforms quoting hospital prices to get tested in Bangkok? 

1B298C29-DDC0-4991-9B3C-98E65121DF60.png

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Coronavirus is only the family of the virus. To be more precise the dog tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 and the chance that your vet has a test for this strain is zero. 

Thats exactly my point. there are crossreaktion with antibodies and with PCR contaminated surfaces (from the nose). I think you understand. the test was weakly positiv....PCR is digital yes or no, antibodies are analog

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Probably an 0 missing off the end of 42, heard of two cases but might get done for spreading fake news if I went into it.

Bit of a problem with the flu comparison, this virus is at least 20x the death rate, lives a long time on surfaces and has a very long period with no symptoms while you can infect many others. It is more likely to kill you if you are older but not just the old, the Dr who discovered it and who had the best attention in his own hospital died in his 30's, as have many others. Everything is certainly not going to be back to normal in a month, no matter how many are killed on the roads or by malaria.

You are ill informed. This virus does not have a death rate 20 times that of yearly flu breakouts and where  young children and older  persons  seem high risks for reg flu  this virus has not killed anyone under 9 years old.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities
Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The victim is a 21-year-old Thai salesman whose job brought him exposure to foreign tourists

Be nice if they provided a bit more detail?

Salesman? Selling what? Where? When?

The lack of information provided by the "authorities" is mind-boggling.

991 patients "under treatment" (no clue how many can be confirmed) as of 27 Feb 2020 report.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no55-270263.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

"its just the flu" posters are rapidly turning into this years "get the correct visa" mob.

the ignorance is stunning

Cant help it if you believe what you read. You are one of the many who have been fooled.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I give it a month and everything will be almost back to normal, the panic served it's purpose and the rich just became richer, make of that what you will.

Yes fear creates panic, but what is the panic about, nothing more than another strain of influenza which kills 500,000 plus people a year worldwide, but we don't hear of that, do we.

If your old, 80+ and have a weak immune system, or have a pre-existing respiratory condition or diabetes, I would be worried to go out until a vaccination is made, as for the rest of us, soldier on as tomorrow you could get bitten with a mosquito and get Malaria which kills around a million, yes a million people a year, or if you get influenza it kills 500,000 + a year, road deaths 1.25 million a year. Now do you feel better ? 

Agree 100%

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The lack of information provided by the "authorities" is mind-boggling.

991 patients "under treatment" (no clue how many can be confirmed) as of 27 Feb 2020 report.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no55-270263.pdf

And "treatment".... what does it mean ? A paracetamol pill ? Or artificial respirator ?

Until february 10, the daily report gave the number for "isolation room" (15).

At least.... that was useful (isolation room =  serious cases or serious suspicions)

And of course.. they stopped to publish.

You can check it out.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no38-100263.pdf

The trick is of course obvious, raw, even vulgar.

But it works ! People (small red fishes) do not care, do not pay attention to details, and have no memory...

Edited by christophe75

6 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

And "treatment".... what does it mean ? A paracetamol pill ? Or artificial respirator ?

Not sure, but all 991 are hospitalized, and that number has been growing rapdily. Was 712 on 26 Feb, then 991 on 26 Feb.

Seems like they should want to confirm the actual number of COVID19 cases?

39 minutes ago, meshborg said:

If only 42 people have Virus in Thailand then I'm a Dutchman.haha...U.k 20,Italy and S.Korea 600 plus each.I'd say more likely hundreds if not thousands infected already.

This is a normal with influenza every year in every country. 

The recovery rate is still very positive, and the death rate is nowhere near pandemic levels...

Yet

Peace