Corona and quarantine dilllema

25 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

I doubt it - no airport provides quarantine facilities.

I don’t know the way things are looking right now I might as well just cancel and start arguing with ANA about my airline ticket refund now. But if all this blows over and I cancel our trip from Bangkok to Tokyo than I’m gonna feel really stupid. We had a huge trip planned for Tokyo for the 2020 Summer Olympics. I was looking so forward to. So now I’m online doing all the research I possibly can!! So I’m conflicted maybe I should call the airline first and ask them because if it’s that bad I’m sure ANA of all airlines will have a plan or at least a refund plan so maybe I won’t ask for my ticket refund just yet maybe I’ll give it at least a month and see. Who knows maybe it’ll blow over. The way things are looking now maybe watch the Olympics from here but I was looking forward to seeing Tokyo again if it comes to that. Sad. We’ll see, I guess I’m not the only one in this situation obviously. 

1 minute ago, RobertL said:

I don’t know the way things are looking right now I might as well just cancel and start arguing with ANA about my airline ticket refund now. But if all this blows over and I cancel our trip from Bangkok to Tokyo than I’m gonna feel really stupid. We had a huge trip planned for Tokyo for the 2020 Summer Olympics. I was looking so forward to. So now I’m online doing all the research I possibly can!! So I’m conflicted maybe I should call the airline first and ask them because if it’s that bad I’m sure ANA of all airlines will have a plan or at least a refund plan so maybe I won’t ask for my ticket refund just yet maybe I’ll give it at least a month and see. Who knows maybe it’ll blow over. The way things are looking now maybe watch the Olympics from here but I was looking forward to seeing Tokyo again if it comes to that. Sad. We’ll see, I guess I’m not the only one in this situation obviously. 

Sorry for your situation. 

I had 2 weeks coming up in Osaka. Depart march 18. AirAsia cancelled flights. Think they have flight Mar 30 and only 3 flights April.

Your trip is sometime off but hard call.

They haven't cancelled Olympics yet, however Thai attitude to return people from Japan could change. Not for Thai but farang. 

If you can fly via China apparently AOK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sorry for your situation. 

I had 2 weeks coming up in Osaka. Depart march 18. AirAsia cancelled flights. Think they have flight Mar 30 and only 3 flights April.

Your trip is sometime off but hard call.

They haven't cancelled Olympics yet, however Thai attitude to return people from Japan could change. Not for Thai but farang. 

If you can fly via China apparently AOK.

Yeah coming back could be a whole separate issue so I’ll wait n’ see. Thanks 

1 minute ago, RobertL said:

Yeah coming back could be a whole separate issue so I’ll wait n’ see. Thanks 

Hopefully picture will be more clear by then. So maybe hold out as long as you can. 

Personally my concern is not so much about contracting covit-19, but more about quarantine issues. If that was hospital, then that would be serious bill for 14 days. 

I'm off to Saigon Friday week. Can't imagine Thai will not allow return entry from Vietnam since they still allow flights from China.

15 minutes ago, xtof2 said:

Just got that :

This morning (Sunday, March 1st), the International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT) has modified the list of countries requiring a quarantine measure: Malaysia and Vietnam have been withdrawn from the list.  

Thus, students returning from Malaysia or Vietnam are no longer bound to this self-quarantine requirement and can return to school tomorrow (Monday, March 2nd).

Yes, I can confirm also Malaysia and Vietnam taken off the list. Was just notified our school will close for 5 days because a family transited through a listed country and sent their child to school for 2 days. Very dishonest. 

4 hours ago, RobertL said:

What about the Olympics? We have airline tickets to Tokyo we were supposed to fly but now they’re talking about cancelling the Olympics! So I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if the tickets are refundable yet. I’ve been looking online everywhere frantically for the last 24 hours trying to get an idea of what might happen with the Olympics! We were supposed to fly in May and stay in Tokyo all summer but now I don’t know. Is japan on the list? That’s still 3 months away from the Olympics 

The Japanese authorities have announced that they will make a final decision about the Olympics in early May. At this time, I would say there is a high probability that the Olympics will be postponed, but nothing is certain. I would suggest waiting a few weeks before taking any precipitate decisions yourself.

Just now, BritTim said:

The Japanese authorities have announced that they will make a final decision about the Olympics in early May. At this time, I would say there is a high probability that the Olympics will be postponed, but nothing is certain. I would suggest waiting a few weeks before taking any precipitate decisions yourself.

I have been following this closely as I was also going back to Tokyo for part of Olympics. My March flights have been cancelled to Osaka.

In addition my understanding is that 100% Olympics with not be delayed or even reschedule for 2021. There is 2 option. Run current schedule or cancel all. No middle ground

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I was just reading something like that and I was gonna fly in May. 

On 2/29/2020 at 5:09 PM, AussieBob18 said:

If you must then be careful at the airports and wear the right gear, especially on the plane - and dont touch any surfaces other people can touch.  

Pray tell, what would those surfaces that others have NOT touched be? And how could one possibly know it had not been touched? 

Good advice, but essentially useless. 

Maybe better stated as: avoid touching any surfaces and clean your hands before touching your face. 

My personal answer is to avoid airports and public conveyances or gathering places as much as possible for the duration. 

I'm delaying my trip home for the time being. Eventually I will be forced to exit Thailand to let my Non OA extension of stay to expire at end of May, re-enter on a tourist visa and apply for Non O. I'll probably choose to drive to the Laos border in my own car, cross the border for as short a time as possible, and then drive back to my house. 

Ultimately if this virus continues few of us will have any choice except to risk exposure and hope for the best. Crawling into a tight ball under a bed is not a long-term solution. 

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't consider a school a reliable source of info. They can have their own requirements.

I am just referencing info that has been in the news.

If it’s coming from any of the major international schools, you can take it as gospel. We are getting updates from them which are MOE directives almost as soon as they are released.

In any case, to the OP, Malaysia was taken off the list yesterday, so you are good to go!

• Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 6:47 PM, ubonjoe said:

This from a article in the news.

"Education Minister Nataphol Teepsuwan said on Sunday (February 23) that the ministry has asked teachers and students who had travelled to six countries -- China, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore -- to stay at home for 14 days."

Taiwan has a very low rate of infection, even less than Thailand.

They should add Italy, Iran, Germany, France instead.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ 

8 hours ago, dsj said:

I also was informed by my daughters school that the Minister of Education ordered the self-quarantine, as we were in Singapore.

Co-vid.JPG.b8c50a270cc8d166fd3a3e9becb309ac.JPG

COVID-19 (25.02.20).pdf 216.63 kB · 8 downloads

This is ridiculous. Vietnam and Malaysia's rate of infection is half that of Thailand so how can it be considered high risk when Thailand is not considered high risk?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Vietnam = 16

Malaysia = 25

Thailand = 42

USA at 69 is considered higher risk so why is it not in the list ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, homemade514 said:

Vietnam and Malaysia are now on the MOE list. You will need to quarantine if you go. 

im in the same dilemma. 

I've been told the same by my wife, even though Thailand has more cases than either country. Go figure.

I have also read some rather confusing information from Vietnamese news websites suggesting that country is refusing entry to all foreigners who are citizens of or arriving from countries with any cases of the virus? If so, that would mean nobody from Thailand could enter Vietnam yet flights are still running.

I'm a bit confused. Can anyone clarify this?

4 hours ago, RobertL said:

They have been saying the Tokyo Olympics could be cancelled. A decision will be made in the next 2-3 months.

5 hours ago, RobertL said:

There are reports that the olympics might be cancelled or postponed.

14 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I've been told the same by my wife, even though Thailand has more cases than either country. Go figure.

I have also read some rather confusing information from Vietnamese news websites suggesting that country is refusing entry to all foreigners who are citizens of or arriving from countries with any cases of the virus? If so, that would mean nobody from Thailand could enter Vietnam yet flights are still running.

I'm a bit confused. Can anyone clarify this?

Malaysia and Vietnam taken off the list yesterday. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

At this time there is no restriction for entering from Malaysia since it is not considered a infected country yet that requires you to be quarantined.

Wrong answer. Malaysia is on the list. So after visiting it, we shall comply to a 14-day quarantine at home. 

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Vietnam and Malaysia's rate of infection is half that of Thailand so how can it be considered high risk when Thailand is not considered high risk?

This is not rate of infection but total cases. 

The USA has a population of over 300 million. 

Edited by jacko45k

46 minutes ago, Seth7 said:

Wrong answer. Malaysia is on the list. So after visiting it, we shall comply to a 14-day quarantine at home. 

Have your read any of the recent posts that state if was taken of the list a couple of days ago.

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

This is not rate of infection but total cases. 

The USA has a population of over 300 million. 

Well, China has a population of over 1.4 billion, so ???

Total cases divided by population size should determine whether a country is high risk or low risk?

Singapore has a small population of 5 million with 106 cases is quite high risk.

Thailand has a population of 70 million with 42 cases is considered low risk.

Just asking.... 

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Well, China has a population of over 1.4 billion, so ???

Total cases divided by population size should determine whether a country is high risk or low risk?

It isn't that simple is it? Do you divide the total number of cases in Wuhan with the population of Wuhan, Or is it Hubei cases by Hubei population or China's cases by China's population?

Citing 96 cases in the USA, as you did,  and saying, ....quote...

USA at 69 is considered higher risk so why is it not in the list

Perspective.... 

Edited by jacko45k