Chainsaw Sharpening

Guy Anderson

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Youtube.It's not hard just back and forth with a file at the correct angle.There are markings on the teeth of the chain that give you the correct angle.

Agreed, get a Chainsaw file and sharpen it yourself after every other use and it doesn't take long.

They really do require frequent sharpening.

manual-hand-file-jig-chainsaw-sharpener-

https://www.topmaq.co.nz/logging/chainsaw/manual-hand-file-jig-chainsaw-sharpener-loch5900

This inexpensive jig thingie sets the angles and hold the chain firmly. Let the tool (file) do the work. 

You have to buy the correct diameter file separately.

File%20Size%20Stihl.gif

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 2

Small file holders with the angles marked on them are available which can really help. The frequency of sharpening depends on usage frequency, length of time in use and the hardness of the wood being cut. Don't forget to keep the chain lubricated.

Not unusual to have to sharpen the chain a few times if cutting up large hardwood trees and logs in an afternoons work. I've got a very large log that I try and cut bits off from time to time - its practically fossilised and very hard work.

In addition to the tool posted above there are also electrically powered sharpeners available. I have one but have never used it as it requires removing the chain from the saw to do so. I find it less hassle to sharpen by hand.

It really is a case of practice makes perfect. Give it a go. The worst that can happen is that the chain stays dull and you get a sore arm!

As a previous poster said new chains aren't expensive to buy but if you cannot sharpen them yourself it will get expensive buying them frequently quite quickly.

There are bound to be YouTube instructional videos how to sharpen a chain.

Edited by emptypockets

Dirt is the biggest cause of dull chain saw blades from my experience cutting trees in the states. (and hitting a rock can break blades) 
There are a few hardwoods that will dull one (but not as quickly as dirt) in the states, like hickory)
Not sure of the hardwoods here.    They do seem tougher to work with then I'm used to.  (compared to conifers anyway)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

Dirt is the biggest cause of dull chain saw blades from my experience cutting trees in the states. (and hitting a rock can break blades) 
There are a few hardwoods that will dull one (but not as quickly as dirt) in the states, like hickory)
Not sure of the hardwoods here.    They do seem tougher to work with then I'm used to.  (compared to conifers anyway)

Agree about the dirt there are several types of wood the pros will not touch unless it is still green especially mai daeng and mai gik,they are extremely dense woods.