The Lotto price

sanuk711

Has the price of the Lotto ticket gone up to 100 Baht ?

I don't usually buy them, but I was getting a birthday card for a daughter and wanted to put a few Lotto tickets into it..........Yes I'm a big spender when it comes to birthdays etc.

The price here in Nakon Nowhere seems to be 100 Baht, is it the same in Pattaya /BKK ? 

It doesn't seem that long ago that the mighty Thai army declared that 40 Baht was the price---and no more.

• Confused 2

The price is 80 Baht, many sellers past the scare of 2014 (coup) have again brought the price to 100 Baht, if you want to report the police you will only get a bad answer and no other reaction.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But it is not the sellers making a profit - they have to buy at inflated prices from those with the connections and pay for the honor.

"But it is not the sellers making a profit..."

Yes, it is!  There is profit all along the line, unless you think that the vendors sell for the same price that they paid their supplier!  What would be the point of that, may as well stay at home!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, it is!  There is profit all along the line, unless you think that the vendors sell for the same price that they paid their supplier!  What would be the point of that, may as well stay at home!

Of course there is profit involved but the higher price is not extra profit going into the sellers pocket - he had to pay an inflated price for the ticket.  He can make little or no profit selling at the marked price.

I know that.  You're the one who said in your post that "it is not the sellers making a profit", not me!

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Wasnt there an article in the press some time back asking people to report this ? and the local Plod got 1000 for taking action too ? I am sure there was something.

Edit:

The following is from June of last year but little seems to have actually been done (no surprise there)

"The Government Lottery Office (GLO) is offering a reward of 1,000 baht for information leading to the arrest and conviction of vendors selling overpriced lottery tickets.

Each person who gives information leading to an arrest will be paid 1,000 baht per case when the case is finalised, while an arresting officer will be eligible for a reward equivalent to the fine imposed but no more than 2,000 baht per case.

The reward scheme was published in the Royal Gazette on Friday."

Yes, but you are meant to read these things and not act upon them. It's called lip service!

It's a bit like when you pay a tip to the immigration officer for his ' lunch ' to get your your retirement extension the same day, when there is a big sign on the wall not give gratuities.

Just to sociable with some Thai friends, I bought a 100thb ticket as part of a 5 ticket set with them; all with the same number. I dont get it! Surely we would have more chance of winning if we each bought a ticket with a different number. I asked one of my friends if that number wins do we all get 6000000 thb each and he said 'yes'. But I very much doubt if that is true. I think one prize must be shared. So these popular 200thb sets are a double rip-off in that, if u win you have paid 120thb more than u should have. I wonder if the sellers pay for each number or for each ticket they sell. There r so many sellers that I suspect that they must must buy per number, and that what buyers pay for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th ticket, etc., is clear profit for them.

2 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Just to sociable with some Thai friends, I bought a 100thb ticket as part of a 5 ticket set with them; all with the same number. I dont get it! Surely we would have more chance of winning if we each bought a ticket with a different number. I asked one of my friends if that number wins do we all get 6000000 thb each and he said 'yes'. But I very much doubt if that is true. I think one prize must be shared. So these popular 200thb sets are a double rip-off in that, if u win you have paid 120thb more than u should have. I wonder if the sellers pay for each number or for each ticket they sell. There r so many sellers that I suspect that they must must buy per number, and that what buyers pay for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th ticket, etc., is clear profit for them.

Your friend is correct, if you buy the multiple tickets with the same number, you win the 6M for each ticket. Others can also be holding the same winning ticket number as you and they also win the 6M.

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Your friend is correct, if you buy the multiple tickets with the same number, you win the 6M for each ticket. Others can also be holding the same winning ticket number as you and they also win the 6M.

Really? Do you have personal experience or knowledge of people winning the full amount for each ticket?

15 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Really? Do you have personal experience or knowledge of people winning the full amount for each ticket?

I haven't won the 6 million, but wife has won a 2,000 baht prize a couple of times and had multiple tickets so won the 2,000 baht for each ticket. (2 same number tickets, so won 4,000)

You see now and then on the news where someone wins 30 million. The only way you can win 30 million is 5 X same number tickets. 5 X 6M

Edited by Peterw42

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I haven't won the 6 million, but wife has won a 2,000 baht prize a couple of times and had multiple tickets so won the 2,000 baht for each ticket. (2 tickets, so won 4,000)

You see now and then on the news where someone wins 30 million. The only way you can win 30 million is 5 X same number tickets

OK thanks. Good to know. So selling multiple tickets actually increases the odds of winning.

Edited by SunsetT

6 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

OK thanks. Good to know. So selling multiple tickets actually increases the odds of winning.

Doesnt increase the odds but it does increase the amount you win, Its similar to betting on a horse race, 1 X $10 ticket at 4/1 wins you $40, 5 X $10 tickets at 4/1 wins you $200.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Doesnt increase the odds but it does increase the amount you win, Its similar to betting on a horse race, 1 X $10 ticket at 4/1 wins you $40, 5 X $10 tickets at 4/1 wins you $200.

But surely by selling more tickets with the same number reduces the overall number of tickets with different numbers being sold and entered in the draw.

10 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Well if gambling is illegal in Thailand, but the Govt run a lottery, it cannot be illegal cos they said so.   555

Good grief...  The government lottery is exempt from that law; that doesn't make gambling legal in Thailand

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The vendor sellers get 500 tickets each draw, 1,000 for the month.  They get to keep 9.6 baht for each ticket they sell.  So if they sold all of their tickets they earn 9,600 baht per month.  Now if they sell them all for 100 baht they keep 29.6 baht per ticket and would earn 29,600 baht/month if they sell them all.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, SunsetT said:
1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Personal experience or knowledge of winning is not necessary to know the rules.  He's right.

• Thanks 1