BANGKOK
mangyH2obuffalo

Denied domestic travel for no passport BKK to Samui

I flew DM in bangkok to Chang Mai and only showed Nevada Id card no issue at all this a month ago on Vietjet Air.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mangyH2obuffalo said:

This hurts as I usually fly Air Asia budget style to SuraThani

That sucks, but as others have said, always have your passport when boarding a plane as it is a requirement, lax staff doesn't help the situation, and as I recall flying with AirAsia from Udon Thani to Phuket once, all I showed them was my Thai pink ID card (which most Thai's don't know what it is) and off I went, however on the return journey at Phuket this pretty little filly declined my Pink ID card and said I need your passport please sir, I said oh, and explained that I came down with AirAsia on my pink ID card and she said, but sir you are farang and MUST have a passport, it is AirAsia policy, I smiled at her and said oh ok, I didn't know that, thank you for bringing that to my attention and being so thorough in doing your job (me smiling) with all these thoughts going through my mind which I cannot put on TVF in fear of being locked up, she was smiling back and then gave me my passport and boarding pass with a smile and explaining where I was to go, I only wish she could have read my mind at the time 🙂

Once bitten, twice shy you are now.

• Haha 1

You gotta look out for middle name issues, too.

I lost mine and was allowed to fly Samui to bkk to get an emergency passport, but the airline weren’t happy about it at all, even with police report, home driving licence etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

While there is a legal requirement that we have our passport with us, there is no law that requires us to show it to any Thai person who wants to see it.  However, it's their airline, their rules. They can deny boarding for any reason they want.

In the past I've never shown my passport for domestic travel.  Now I'll carry it with me for that.

Edited by Kelsall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Bangkok Airways website says for domestic flights foreigners must show passport. For foreign residents and aliens you can show the alien card or work permit.

• Like 2