Denied domestic travel for no passport BKK to Samui

41 minutes ago, mangyH2obuffalo said:

This hurts as I usually fly Air Asia budget style to SuraThani

That sucks, but as others have said, always have your passport when boarding a plane as it is a requirement, lax staff doesn't help the situation, and as I recall flying with AirAsia from Udon Thani to Phuket once, all I showed them was my Thai pink ID card (which most Thai's don't know what it is) and off I went, however on the return journey at Phuket this pretty little filly declined my Pink ID card and said I need your passport please sir, I said oh, and explained that I came down with AirAsia on my pink ID card and she said, but sir you are farang and MUST have a passport, it is AirAsia policy, I smiled at her and said oh ok, I didn't know that, thank you for bringing that to my attention and being so thorough in doing your job (me smiling) with all these thoughts going through my mind which I cannot put on TVF in fear of being locked up, she was smiling back and then gave me my passport and boarding pass with a smile and explaining where I was to go, I only wish she could have read my mind at the time ????

Once bitten, twice shy you are now.

• Haha 1

While there is a legal requirement that we have our passport with us, there is no law that requires us to show it to any Thai person who wants to see it.  However, it's their airline, their rules. They can deny boarding for any reason they want.

In the past I've never shown my passport for domestic travel.  Now I'll carry it with me for that.

Edited by Kelsall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pontious said:

The Bangkok Airways website says for domestic flights foreigners must show passport. For foreign residents and aliens you can show the alien card or work permit.

Yes, see here, https://www.bangkokair.com/travel-document

Very clearly stated that for foreigners passport is required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Going any where without a passport is not a good idea. You can always be stopped by police and asked to provide it.

It just isn't practical for long term.  Lots of beach tourists here..many use the room safes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is a frequently stated requirement that foreigners need to carry their passports with them at all times. Of course many of us do not for day to day activities, but when I travel I do take it.

Seems like the problem is some female employee who has a casual relationship with work. 

But thanks for the good 'heads up'. 

Yes carry it "at all times" then get nailed because the corners are dog eared or it starts looking shabby and worn... And now no airline or immigration service will accept it...The country is going insane..

"It is the law" .." Don't think to "mut"...5555555

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, mangyH2obuffalo said:

I showed every ID I have including expired Thai government IDs and was rejected.

A valid Id is not "an expired Thai government ID". By Law you should as foreigner actually carry you passport, sometimes a photo copy is accepted.

I've been accepted by Bankok Airways with a Thai drivers license only – I had my passport in my pocket, but wished to check if a valid Thai ID was accepted, it was – however it's a few years ago now. You mentioned a "driver's license from abroad", which I fully understand if not accepted, as it might be difficult, or impossible, for the ground hostes to see if it's genuine, whilst a passport is an internationally accepted travel document.

A photocopy a your passport together with a valid Thai ID might have worked, and perhaps a receipt from the work permit office, or the agent, keeping the passport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moontang said:

It just isn't practical for long term.  Lots of beach tourists here..many use the room safes.

–But the passport is quite easily available if you get checked, so in accordance with the law. In many areas the police actually says that one can carry a photocopy instead of the real passport, which for safety could be left in a hotel-safe.

If you ask me it is insane in the first place to allow people on airplanes with (foreign) driving licenses as you can buy them for 20 bucks on Khao san road. 

The too many times I have seen the pilots opening the door half way the flight, to chat with a stewardess or hit the toilet, a potential terrorist had all the chances.

Not that it would not be possible to do with even a real ID, but it is way too easy to fly with a fake one. That is sure.

• Like 1

I think that Bangkok Airways are pretty clear what is acceptable documentation for a flight.

For foreigners a passport is required, for residents or aliens a Passport or identification document for aliens or residents issued by the Thai government such as a Non-Thai Identification Card (Alien Card), or Work Permit.

Copies of travel documents are not accepted.

I suppose we all make choices about what to carry with us with their requirements in mind.

https://www.bangkokair.com/travel-document

• Like 1