Denied domestic travel for no passport BKK to Samui

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not sure what you mean with that.

I always get bashed when I tell that I take my passport on domestic trips that include overnight/hotel/flight.

But indeed, after enforcing passport at banks it would be a new level that yo need pp for domestic flights.

I worked at a government school and each year with my WP I would get a government ID with the name of my school on it.  I kept my last 2 from 2 and 3 years ago.

50 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

For foreigners a passport is required, for residents or aliens a Passport or identification document for aliens or residents issued by the Thai government such as a Non-Thai Identification Card (Alien Card), or Work Permit.

Thai driving licence = identification document.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bummer the work permit coincided with your trip n the usual sabai sabai attitude ended with you but having your passport when travelling.

If I’d been you I’d not have travelled ... no passport no travel! Even if it meant loosing the cost of the fare.

It’s been law here that foreigners carry their passports ... been that law since the first time I came here in the early 80’s.

As foreigners we take our chances and pay the price if we don’t.

It seems to me, if you reserved a hotel room, you had to provide them with your passport,  that is unless the reservation is in the name of your Thai partner.  On the airlines, it seems to be hit or miss.  From KKC to Phuket, Thai Pink Card, but from Phuket to KKC, I needed my passport.

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thai driving licence = identification document.

Maybe, I wonder why they didn’t give it as an example given how many foreigners think it might/should be acceptable.

As I said earlier their requirements are there for us all to see, we make informed choices as to what to take with us.

my passport went to the washing machine so I had a new one and the passport number is not the same any more on my Thai driving licence, I went where my driving licence was delivered to mention it, expecting a new one, no, no ploblem was I told! ????

7 minutes ago, chainarong said:

They can even ask for your passport on the street and when you book in at hotels etc, so what's the problem,  you're told to always carry your passport.

Specify the identity of 'they'

I ain't showing it to a Songtaw driver.

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your issue is not new. I have flown domestic many times with my AU drivers license. Also many times been asked to produce passport. 

In any event you arrive Sumui you should always have your pp for everything from hotel check-in or whatever. Bit foolish travel without pp

I always carry my passport when I travel, but not because the government says so, I have a mind of my own, but because I may need it to book into a hotel, or withdraw money from my bank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shammy said:

Yes carry it "at all times" then get nailed because the corners are dog eared or it starts looking shabby and worn... And now no airline or immigration service will accept it...The country is going insane..

"It is the law" .." Don't think to "mut"...5555555

There are too many people who are afraid of their own shadow, and go out of their way to obey every law

that comes out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I always carry my passport when I travel, but not because the government says so, I have a mind of my own, but because I may need it to book into a hotel, or withdraw money from my bank.

Exactly. 

You go on a trip, anything can happen that may require a passport. Accident etc.

When I stated in post quoted I ALWAYS had pp with me. Stopped using my AU drivers license years ago as it can cause issue. Not just airline requirement but I have had that at domestic pass control DMK. I try make it easy for staff rather than the opposite. Now I always present pp for domestic flights.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Any mention of somebody needing to show a passport always leads to the knee-jerk myth that foreigners are required to carry their passports with them. No. No law states that. Law says must carry a "valid ID" and be able to produce the passport within 24 hours. Valid ID can take various forms. This issue has been discussed ad nauseam on the forum, law quoted, police quoted.

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

After all we are required, by law, to have our passports with us, or readily available at all times. And it can't be 'readily available' if we're in one part of the country and the passport is in another, can it.

No. Yes, it can be readily available within 24 hours via overnight courier.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is a frequently stated requirement that foreigners need to carry their passports with them at all times.

Falsely by posters here, yes. Been discussed many times, dunno where you were as you're vintage.

8 hours ago, Kelsall said:

While there is a legal requirement that we have our passport with us

Nope.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

It’s been law here that foreigners carry their passports ... been that law since the first time I came here in the early 80’s.

Been laboring under a delusion since the 80s eh.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

As foreigners we take our chances and pay the price if we don’t.

You can cite no evidence that any "price" has ever been paid for simply not carrying a passport with you. That would be a fine, an arrest, a prosecution, a deportation, or just a warning. No "rogue cop" has ever imposed such. You may be detained if you have no valid ID or you're under suspicion, but only until you produce it. Suspicion can arise from various causes including being in an area during a drug raid. These generate a lot of false reports (often perpetrated by news reporters) of being arrested for not carrying a passport when in fact the partygoer had no ID, was under suspicion, and was NOT arrested but merely detained.

19 minutes ago, chainarong said:

They can even ask for your passport on the street and when you book in at hotels etc, so what's the problem,  you're told to always carry your passport.

They can but almost never do and they may well accept another form of ID such as a DL. "Passport" is convenient to ask for as everyone knows what that means and that's all tourists may have anyway. Nor will you be fined, arrested, prosecuted, or deported for not having your passport on you. Nobody tells you always to carry your passport who knows the law. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Any mention of somebody needing to show a passport always leads to the knee-jerk myth that foreigners are required to carry their passports with them. No. No law states that. Law says must carry a "valid ID" and be able to produce the passport within 24 hours. Valid ID can take various forms. This issue has been discussed ad nauseam on the forum, law quoted, police quoted.

Falsely by posters here, yes. Been discussed many times, dunno where you were as you're vintage.

Nope.

You can cite no evidence that any "price" has ever been paid for simply not carrying a passport with you. That would be a fine, an arrest, a prosecution, a deportation, or just a warning. No "rogue cop" has ever imposed such. You may be detained if you have no valid ID or you're under suspicion, but only until you produce it. Suspicion can arise from various causes including being in an area during a drug raid. These generate a lot of false reports (often perpetrated by news reporters) of being arrested for not carrying a passport when in fact the partygoer had no ID, was under suspicion, and was NOT arrested but merely detained.

They can but almost never do and they may well accept another form of ID such as a DL. "Passport" is convenient to ask for as everyone knows what that means and that's all tourists may have anyway. Nor will you be fined, arrested, prosecuted, or deported for not having your passport on you. Nobody tells you always to carry your passport who knows the law. 

You put a lot of nonsense effort into your post. Did you even read OP of the thread.

The OP was denied boarding because did not have a pp.

I fly ever other week and can assure you it's a possibility. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Nope.

No passport, no hotel room is a distinct possibility. They also usually photocopy the TM 6. At least in the hotels I stay in.

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

The obvious question is: Why is carrying your p/p with you at all times (or just at selected ones such as hopping on a plane) such a problem?

I often post my PP to Bangkok to an agent to get visa for China etc, then fly down when its ready and fly out, may have to rethink that!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I wonder, does the work permit include the holder's photo?

Pretty sure -No, mines expired so take a while to double check.

YES they do, just looked!

Edited by CGW
change!

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You put a lot of nonsense effort into your post. Did you even read OP of the thread.

The OP was denied boarding because did not have a pp.

I fly ever other week and can assure you it's a possibility. 

Actually you've merely replied with nonsense. I read the OP of course but was not replying to the OP but to the usual off topic nonsense posts generated by the OP's mentioning about the requirement for the boarding pass. You'll need to read those posts. I got no objection to the requirement for the boarding pass. In fact, I'd expect that requirement.

• Like 1

Just now, BigStar said:

Actually you've merely replied with nonsense. I read the OP of course but was not replying to the OP but to the usual off topic nonsense posts generated by the OP's mentioning about the requirement for the boarding pass. You'll need to read those posts. I got no objection to the requirement for the boarding pass. In fact, I'd expect that requirement.

Just a tip. To avoid threads being sidetracked, don't add fuel to random posts.

Good to see you support carry pp when travelling. Stick with that type of post.

1 minute ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I wonder if they would have allowed a photo of it plus your ID

Sorry for your trouble that sucks 

No or Maybe or Who knows.

Travel with pp especially on flights or even land trips. 

So went  to pay my rent the other day at the same bank I have been paying for 4 years , my landlord just fills out the deposit slip and I present it with the cash , well the last time I went they would not accept unless I had my passport. I did have a Thai drivers licence but it expired in December 2019 , I have not renewed yet , they said next time renew licence or passport.

Can't understand folk thinking it fine to leave passport at home while travelling. Thais use ID cards, we use passports. At the very least it is (should) be required at hotel as they need passport number/visa info etc to cover their end for immigration. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Can't understand folk thinking it fine to leave passport at home while travelling. Thais use ID cards, we use passports. At the very least it is (should) be required at hotel as they need passport number/visa info etc to cover their end for immigration. 

Lost Thai ID card, replacement 20bht walk into any Amphur office.

Lost Brit passport, 200 pounds (minimum), a forest of paperwork and two trips to Bangkok.

When my passport costs 20bht to replace, I'll be happy to carry it around in my pocket.

A photo of my passport number should be enough, immigration already have my VISA status.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kelsall said:

, there is no law that requires us to show it to any Thai person who wants to see it. 

You think?   Would that be a bit like UK, US and European law and the laws in every other country that do not require any foreigner to identify themselves by showing their passport to UK, US, European, et al. authorities who ask to see it?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1