Denied domestic travel for no passport BKK to Samui

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You think?   Would that be a bit like UK, US and European law and the laws in every other country that do not require any foreigner to identify themselves by showing their passport to UK, US, European, et al. authorities who ask to see it?

Like Thailand, there is no law in the US requiring foreigners to show their passports to just anyone who might want to see it.  For example if the cashier at Burger King wants to see your passport, you can refuse and not go to jail.  Same for Thailand

Edited by Kelsall
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Can't understand folk thinking it fine to leave passport at home while travelling. Thais use ID cards, we use passports. At the very least it is (should) be required at hotel as they need passport number/visa info etc to cover their end for immigration. 

It's just obstreperous Thaivisa posters.

34 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I smiled at her and said oh ok, I didn't know that, thank you for bringing that to my attention and being so thorough in doing your job (me smiling) with all these thoughts going through my mind which I cannot put on TVF in fear of being locked up

34 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

On one hand you say "always have your passport when boarding a plane as it is a requirement", you even say that "lax staff doesn't help the situation" (which if I understand correctly means that staff that don't insist on passport at check-in cause more confusion than help), yet on the other hand you were very upset that "this pretty little filly" was actually doing her job correctly and thoroughly.........

Oh contraire, you see the only reason I used the pink ID card is because my wife used her Thai ID card so I said I will give it a whirl and off I went, and no I wasn't even slightly upset, the thoughts going through my mind were as I say, not something you would put on TVF, perhaps I should have used a more appropriate words, e.g. I was in fantasy land with this pretty little filly, wife to my right knowing exactly what was going on ????

I will mostly praise someone for doing their job if done correctly, I mean just the other day I was stopped at a roadside check and told one of my break lights were out, 400 baht fine, naturally I didn't praise the officer, albeit we had a nice chat, given the limited English he knew, while other officers were stopping other drivers for the same offence, naturally he was doing his job, a little different to the usual rego label checks, perhaps a new thing for the boys, and well within their rights to fine me, e.g. doing his job correctly, but still no praise as I believe a caution could have been warranted for such a minor offence, but I know they now have to make up for the lost revenue from the lack of tourists not coming die to the Coronavirus panic, and most Thai's will pay for that in the ensuing revenue raising, I mean someone has to keep the country going, with whatever farangs are scattered around the countryside to also contribute to the cause, the 400 baht is chicken feed, but praise for revenue raising is not something I acknowledge, same same immigration officers putting their hands out when it's extension time. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Like Thailand, there is no law in the US requiring foreigners to show their passports to just anyone who might want to see it.  For example if the cashier at Burger King wants to see your passport, you can refuse and not go to jail.  Same for Thailand

No one said that there was; who's talking about needing a passport at Burger King?  Jesus... 

No ordinary Thai, who has no reason to see it, is ever going to expect you to show it on demand.

16 hours ago, TVUserx said:

I lost mine and was allowed to fly Samui to bkk to get an emergency passport, but the airline weren’t happy about it at all, even with police report, home driving licence etc.

I have read most of the replies on this topic and have taken a look at the Bangkok Airways website but I don't get it. It's a domestic flight - it's always been possible (in my experience) to use a Thai driver's license. Even 7-8 years ago, I had the impression airlines didn't necessary like home (foreign) driving licenses, though they would usually accept them but they would certainly accept a Thai driver's license. Having already possessed a Thai license back then, that's what I used for boarding a THAI Airways Udon Thani-Bangkok flight even though I had just arrived from Vientiane, where I got off a flight from Kunming a few hours earlier and thus had my passport on me.

I don't know about you, but the idea of being "forced" to use a passport for a domestic flight feels a bit creepy and Stalinist to me. Kind of like the old "show me your papers" routine that has become etched in our memories from the Soviet era. That and the fact a passport, unless you absolutely need it, can get lost. It's absolutely needed for crossing borders (of course) but I don't like the fact that in developing countries, especially those that are considered to be "less free" authorities and just about everyone likes to get your hands on this document, even though half of them can't read it (I can't tell you how many times bank officials have photocopied an old Myanmar visa in my passport thinking it's my information page!)

Some people might say "well what about America? They don't accept foreign driver's licenses [anymore] either". True, but they don't discriminate against foreigners - if you hold a driver's license issued in any one of the 50 US states it doesn't matter what your residency status is, provided you were able to legally obtain said license that can be used for boarding a domestic flight in lieu of a passport.

In my experience, up until I read this post, I was well aware of Thailand's neighbors, including China, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia generally accepting ONLY a passport for domestic travel for foreigners (including expats) but got the impression Thailand was a little more "free". I guess times are changing, or it depends on the airline/official on duty.

Anyway, all of this doesn't affect me really since I haven't flown domestically in many years. I prefer driving - besides, Thailand isn't a very big country. I've even driven Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Bangkok for one night to Chiang Mai. Beats flying cost-wise, since I don't have to pay for a taxi to get to/from the airport and also pay for a rental car during my time away. But hey, that's me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

With Thai Government Pink ID-card for Farangs it's no problem to fly domestic with Thai Airways or check in at any hotel in Thailand.

I think you will find that it will depend on the carrier, as it does vary, as it does with hotels as well, as I said in an earlier post, most Thai's don't even know what a pink ID is, unfortunately and they are probably taught to ask for a passport as the form of ID from a farang.

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

No passport, no hotel room is a distinct possibility. They also usually photocopy the TM 6. At least in the hotels I stay in.

At all the hotels I've stayed at in recent years, not one has ever photocopied the TM6. 95% of hotels accept my driver's license, only a small handful insist on a passport. I think it depends on what the local immigration office wants. Ubon Ratchathani seems to insist on passports, while Tak (Mae Sot) for instance is mostly fine with a driver's license (except one hotel back in 2014 which wanted a passport, but only one for 4 foreign guests). Anyway, even when insisting on a passport, I've only ever seen them photocopy the front page. That's enough for immigration anyway, since all the information they need is on their computer systems.

Also, I thought the TM6 was about to be abolished? It was announced about 4-5 months ago. Why hasn't it happened yet? Even Myanmar now longer issues arrival/departure cards, except at one border: Myawaddy (opposite Mae Sot). Laos and Cambodia have eliminated the departure portion - now they only ask for arrival forms to be filled out. 

2 hours ago, Maxwadd said:
On 2/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, Moonlover said:

It does make sense really. After all we are required, by law, to have our passports with us, or readily available at all times. And it can't be 'readily available' if we're in one part of the country and the passport is in another, can it.

2 hours ago, Maxwadd said:

Incorrect, it is not law

This senior Thai police officer seems to think differently. Yes, I know, he says you don't have to carry it, but he clearly states that it is still the law.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-passport-required-phuket-immigration-confirms-passport-on-person-not-required-despite-operation-x-ray-outlaw-foreigner-69367.php

As has been stated leaving home for a different area by flight I find it incredulous that any one would not take there Passport to be honest.

Re all the you need passport at bank yes if you opened account on Passport it follows you need a passport to service it.

I have used Thai ID and also been asked for passport on many occasions.

As another poster mentioned for years I have booked into hotels with Thai (pink) ID. January in Pattaya it was refused they demanded a Passport Same in BKK a few days later. Hotels I've stayed in numerous times. No big deal as I have my passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

It is the Law sorry to say.

Not always enforced but it is the Law

Laws have names. What name does this law have and what section of it states this particular requirement?

On 2/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, Moonlover said:

It does make sense really. After all we are required, by law, to have our passports with us, or readily available at all times. And it can't be 'readily available' if we're in one part of the country and the passport is in another, can it.

There are many reasons one might not have access to his  or her passport, renewal is one example.  And "readily available" is for law enforcement not domestic airlines.

Thai friends have to show their ID also on internal flights, for more than 10 tears now. Nothing new and not targeting foreigners as Tesco Lotus does.

Friends forgot the ID card of their children one, about 9 years ago. I went to their house and scanned the ID-cards of the children end send it to thier parents phone, which was accepted by Air Asia. But these were young children and the parents did habve their ID-card with them.

• Thanks 1

What could have worked is a scanned copy of your PP details page, latest entry stamp page, extension-of-stay/visa page and 90-days report page.

I always keep these on my phone.

If you had explained your passport was with immigration for annual extension and shown the above, 

they would probably have allowed you to board.

Thai Drivers License has your passport # on it at the bottom.  I used it at customs last week to pick something up. No passport.

Always carry a photo copy of your passport in your wallet and in your car / motor bike with copy of your current visa.

Never had a problem flying domestic with all this.

Always take your passport with you to the bank.  Or no money and no honey.  haha.

6 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Thai Drivers License has your passport # on it at the bottom.  I used it at customs last week to pick something up. No passport.

Always carry a photo copy of your passport in your wallet and in your car / motor bike with copy of your current visa.

Never had a problem flying domestic with all this.

Always take your passport with you to the bank.  Or no money and no honey.  haha.

Actually my Thai driving licence has my yellow and pink I'd number on it not my passport number

I put another spin on it. Most posts this thread seem to be what is "legal" requirement. Fact is most of the staff at airports are clerks with limited experience.

Many posts about airline staff. They are more experienced, however at baggage clearance they have limited training. Especially for domestic travel. They sometimes get confused when farang present with boarding pass and something like foreign DL.

Why make it hard. Is it too hard to carry pp to make it easy all around.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:23 AM, Taco said:

I fly often on Bangkok air Samui to bkk and back with my Thai drivers licence so far no issues and have been not bringing my passport at all for domestic travels.  This I believed was one of the main perks of having a Thai drivers license being able to fly and get hotels without a Passport.  But, I was refused to check into my hotel booking last month in Pattaya without my passport and ended up settling on that plus my copies of my work permit and I got my room.  

Solution for me is to bring the passport and only use it when they demand it.

There is a crackdown on overstaying and the passport is the only ID with a valid permission to stay stamp. Many organisations, in particular hotels,have been recruited as part time IOs.

My wife has always made hotel bookings and quite often my ID was never checked and if it was the pink card was ok. About 18 months ago it all changed and more often than not now they insist on a passport. On Sunday however there was no ID check so still a bit hit and miss.

No surprise that domestic travel may be used in the same way. I had to show my passport to get a train ticket recently.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

It's not the law. It's a requirement by the airline company in question. They can change it whenever they want. It has nothing to do with Thai immigrant or laws. Just company policies. 

Of course you are free to believe what you want.

After all, how likely is it that an airline, that owns 3 airports in Thailand, would be invited to help implement government policy.

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2020 at 4:23 AM, Taco said:

I fly often on Bangkok air Samui to bkk and back with my Thai drivers licence so far no issues and have been not bringing my passport at all for domestic travels.  This I believed was one of the main perks of having a Thai drivers license being able to fly and get hotels without a Passport. 

A valid Thai driver's license can be bought for 3K BHT without any documents. If they are allowing travel on that, shame on them. Even in the US they won't allow to fly after Sep, 2020 with a driver's license unless the license is a Real ID driver's license that requires multiple documents to prove one's real ID. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

A valid Thai driver's license can be bought for 3K BHT without any documents. If they are allowing travel on that, shame on them. Even in the US they won't allow to fly after Sep, 2020 with a driver's license unless the license is a Real ID driver's license that requires multiple documents to prove one's real ID. 

Please provide info on how to obtain a Thai DL this way.   My home-country DL is long-expired, and I'd like to be able to drive a moto occasionally w/o risking police-trouble.

Edited by JackThompson

13 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Where? I looked into this as I needed residence certificate and my embassy does not provide that service and did not want hassle of dealing with CW. I approached agents. Could not provided "valid driver's license" for any fee!

32 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Please provide info on how to obtain a Thai DL this way.   My home-country DL is long-expired, and I'd like to be able to drive a moto occasionally w/o risking police-trouble.

Cannot.