Denied domestic travel for no passport BKK to Samui

On 2/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, mangyH2obuffalo said:

I was unaware farangs had to provide a passport to travel within Thailand but evidently this is the law now.  I made the trip from BKK to the Sura Thani islands countless times the last 7 years and many times I used a driver's license from abroad or presented a Thai government ID no problem.

it could be related to the current virus situation - they want to see you passport for recent travel history data, for all they know you could just have arrived from China last week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

it could be related to the current virus situation - they want to see you passport for recent travel history data, for all they know you could just have arrived from China last week

Just read their terms and conditions and you'll see it has nothing to do with that.

21 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

A valid Thai driver's license can be bought for 3K BHT without any documents

It took me 4 days, 2 trips to immigration, documents from my landlady and sitting through the most uninformative video I've ever seen to get my drivers license.  The only dodgy thing was the 100 baht for the medical certificate.  I'm sure I could get a driver's license in Patong for 3,000 baht, but I'm sure I could also get a passport for a little more.   It was a pain in the butt, but I'm proud to have a Thai Drivers license that I can use for just about everything.  Why carry a valuable document like a passport with you when you don't have to.  It stays locked in the safe.

Call or email the airlines before you get on the plane.  Flew Bangkok Airlines domestically last year no passport needed.  We are talking Domestic travel, right. No International travel so no need to know if you have been to China.  They are supposed to screen you at the international airport for the virus.  ????

One last thought.  I re-read the original post.  Maybe he didn't have a Thai Drivers License with this Passport # on it.   That may make a difference.   I can sort of see their point. Although an ID for domestic travel shouldn't be a problem.   I've never had a problem because the passport # is on my DL.  I guess it's always good to check with the airlines and have them send you an email.  Bangkok Air is good about that.  You guys have a nice evening.