Chiang Mai’s air quality worst in the world

rooster59

Obviously these minions to not understand it will change readings regularly, through weather patterns and people input. Sunday 9am is a day of low industry and traffic even blind Freddy could tell you the reading will be low.

Notice this year it’s all about the virus and nothing from the govt about the horrible air pollution - this govt is doing nothing about it and the people’s health suffers. If the govt came down hard on the companies that buy the corn crops mostly for animal feed real progress could be made. Shameful - 

17 minutes ago, botti said:

The authorities are well aware about the source of this pollution. The main polluters are, at this time of the year, the farmers and big sugarcane producers who are intensively burning their fields. The government is not reacting to this situation since the big producers are representing a strong lobby at all levels of the power. And, of course, the health of the citizens of this country is far not the priority.

Down south of Chiang Mai, towards Sukhothai, which is a major sugarcane growing area, right now you will see swathes of burned out fields after the recent and ongoing harvesting. Yes absolutely the farmers seem to be burning fields with impunity again this year.

Meanwhile to the north of Chiang Mai what appears to be the systematic burning of the Sri Lanna National Park forest continues unabated. Yesterday I posted a photo taken on the evening of 29 February showing several kms of burning hills. That section is no longer burning (job done?), but last night 1 March the Hills adjacent (north of) that stretch were set on fire after dark. See below. This is tragic.

1686156426_SriLannafire1Marchsm.jpg.06dbeb05daec9368e888c1d3105cbc1e.jpg

There needs to be a strongman, perhaps a prominent General, appointed by this government and given wide powers and a big budget with the SOLE responsibility to stop air pollution. Make his actions transparent, public, announced regularly to the media. Why has this not happened? We all know why.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Thian said:

And what did Prayuth do to stop this??

Absolutely nothing.

31 minutes ago, botti said:

The main polluters are, at this time of the year, the farmers and big sugarcane producers who are intensively burning their fields. The government is not reacting to this situation since the big producers are representing a strong lobby at all levels of the power.

And as long as these human cockroaches remain in power nothing will change. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Obviously these minions to not understand it will change readings regularly, through weather patterns and people input. Sunday 9am is a day of low industry and traffic even blind Freddy could tell you the reading will be low.

Agree,

from AQI 193 to 172 is a variation of 10% and is in no way an improvement. The daily variation is usually higher than 10%. See e.g. https://aqicn.org/city/thailand/nakornping-hospital/

And it will go up again.

Edited by willi2006
typo

24 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

There needs to be a strongman, perhaps a prominent General, appointed by this government and given wide powers and a big budget with the SOLE responsibility to stop air pollution. Make his actions transparent, public, announced regularly to the media. Why has this not happened? We all know why.

There are already strong men holding the power and taking advantage of burning: business and money. Profit: Produce cheap  and sell expensive. Others have to bear the burden of health problems.

Edited by willi2006
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, mickey rat said:

Absolutely nothing.

And as long as these human cockroaches remain in power nothing will change. 

Exactly, spot on ! But what are Thai people doing about this ? Only farangs need to bring these issues to the light ?

Lost battle !

• Like 1

It seems the only places that air quality measurements are taken in Thailand are Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

So PM2.5 in these 2 places are about 100 & 168 respectively at 0800.

How terrible.

Spare a thought for Chiang Rai, with a PM2.5 of 186. Or Mae Hong Song, at 195.

I can recall only a couple of times in the last 12 months when the reading dropped below 100.

The air in northern Thailand (as well as neighboring countries too, I imagine) is the worse in the world.

• Like 1

If the government drags its feet and does nothing, the problem will go away on it own when the burning season ends.  They are just waiting and doing nothing.  Get ready to make the same complaints next year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, padgebkk said:

It seems the only places that air quality measurements are taken in Thailand are Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

So PM2.5 in these 2 places are about 100 & 168 respectively at 0800.

How terrible.

Spare a thought for Chiang Rai, with a PM2.5 of 186. Or Mae Hong Song, at 195.

I can recall only a couple of times in the last 12 months when the reading dropped below 100.

The air in northern Thailand (as well as neighboring countries too, I imagine) is the worse in the world.

When I lived in London (UK), I was on a lung puffer for years, when I moved to Ubon, after a few months I didn't need it, and many years later I still don't need it.

But, about 5 years back I went to CM for, I think, five days. On return, I searched for my old puffer. Thankfully the situation was short lived at home in Ubon...:whistling:

23 minutes ago, transam said:

When I lived in London (UK), I was on a lung puffer for years, when I moved to Ubon, after a few months I didn't need it, and many years later I still don't need it.

But, about 5 years back I went to CM for, I think, five days. On return, I searched for my old puffer. Thankfully the situation was short lived at home in Ubon...:whistling:

Ubon Ratchathani air quality index (AQI) and PM2.5 air pollution is 160, Unhealthy

09:00, Mar 2

69.2K people follow this city

Unhealthy

160US AQI

PM2.5 | 73.3 µg/m³

Chiang Mai air quality index (AQI) and PM2.5 air pollution is 168, Unhealthy

8.44M people follow this city

Unhealthy

168US AQI

PM2.5 | 88.8 µg/m³

Provided by

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Ubon Ratchathani air quality index (AQI) and PM2.5 air pollution is 160, Unhealthy

69.2K people follow this city

Unhealthy

160US AQI

PM2.5 | 73.3 µg/m³

Chiang Mai air quality index (AQI) and PM2.5 air pollution is 168, Unhealthy

8.44M people follow this city

Unhealthy

168US AQI

PM2.5 | 88.8 µg/m³

Provided by

I live on the edge of a rather large lake, aaaaah, that breeze, the fresh air ....????

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I live on the edge of a rather large lake, aaaaah, that breeze, the fresh air ....????

I live on the edge of a large dam.  Some days 30, some days over 200 AQI

3 minutes ago, transam said:

That may be so, but you should recognise that air pollution is a nationwide issue and as shown you live in a province that is just as polluted as Chiang Mai right now. Makes your 'puffers' story seem rather far fetched.

I have noticed that certain people, you included, like to make snide comments and take pot shots at those who choose to live in Chiang Mai. There seem to be ulterior motives for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

That may be so, but you should recognise that air pollution is a nationwide issue and as shown you live in a province that is just as polluted as Chiang Mai right now. Makes your 'puffers' story seem rather far fetched.

I have noticed that certain people, you included, like to make snide comments and take pot shots at those who choose to live in Chiang Mai. There seem to be ulterior motives for this.

Seems you are calling me a liar, why would I lie about my lung problem that I do not have where I live in LOS. I can tell you, from having the lung problem for many years, my conclusion was it was diesel fume related.

If making a comment about my CM breathing problem upsets you, and is deemed a pot shot, you are mistaken..????

21 hours ago, smedly said:

how many genuine "hubs" is that - they are racking them up and they are all negative

This is a 'form' obsessed culture...no#1 is NUMBER 1...regardless of the 'content'.

It's clear as dog-balls to what degree of 'development' Thailand has attained in face of these environmental issues. The fires will keep burning; they keep the ghosts away and the whiskey-god happy!????

I think ThaiVisa could do with some fact-checking before posting alarmist headlines like Chiang Mai air quality is the worst in the world. A temporary uptick does not change its global ranking. 7 of the 10 most populated cities in the world are in India. China and India rule.

The 2019 World Air Quality Report reveals levels of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) and shows that climate change events, such as sandstorms and wildfires, elevated levels in countries and cities such as SingaporeAustraliaIndonesiaBrazilKuala LumpurBangkokChiang Mai, and Los Angeles, among numerous others. Cities in Southeast Asia such as Hanoi and Jakarta have also seen sharp rises in levels due to increased industrialisation and urbanisation.

Check it out for yourself.

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_current.jsp

https://tinyurl.com/rveo6k4

https://www.iqair.com/world-most-polluted-cities

• Thanks 1