Thailand’s coronavirus screening “robust” and effective: WHO

rooster59

4 minutes ago, sead said:

I'm happy to hear that Thai government succeds when all developed countries acknowledge theres actually no point in screening since it only shows on people affected. Not on people caring it the 2-14days before incubation time, at the same time it spreads before incubation period. So yeah we are <deleted> 

The Dutch just screened a family. Mum and dad and their 3 children. Both mum and dad and their youngest child tested positive for the virus and are now in quarantine. But then they sent the other 2 children (tested negative) away to stay with other family members. Does that make sense?

41 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

In its latest

report on the coronavirus situation in Thailand, dated 29 Feb 2020, WHO says: “health screening and surveillance systems in Thailand – at points of entry into the country as well as nationwide - are robust and capable of tracking suspected cases quickly, allowing health authorities to implement protocols to ensure isolation, contact tracing, testing and treatment of symptoms”. 

This is good news for some of us who have to travel overseas in the near term.  It just means that countries like the US will not place unnecessary restrictions on those of us who live in or have visited Thailand.  The problem will be these other countries we have to transit.

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

The spinelessness of the WHO is pathetic.

Licking China (the Big Master), kissing the thai generals...

It's simple : the WHO is "sanook", "happy" and "satisfied". Always.

Ah... wait... Not with all countries.

For instance, the WHO is a little bit annoyed with.. Italy.

Too transparent. They work too fast. They communicate too much (sorry "too mutt").

????

You think it's a joke ?

https://apnews.com/6c7e40fbec09858a3b4dbd65fe0f14f5

Voilà.

So let's summarize :

China, Thailand : licking

Italy : criticizing

It's now perfectly clear who is the... WHO.

????

A gang of inane bureaucrats working for... themselves.

Precisely nonsense over all.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/img/declaration/banner_declaration_e.jpg

from 2798 cumulative PUI only 86 detected by screening ????

Well done very efficient indeed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

IF the OP report is an accurate version of the WHO's opinion re Thailand, then my opinion of the current WHO just fell a few more notches lower than it already was.

Perhaps the only things they know are what Thailand's government tells them re what's been going on here, and have no clue of the huge differences here between what's claimed and what's actually done in real life.

As a matter of interest, do you think that any multinational organisation - the G20 for example - has the budget to verify independently what their member states tell them? They're collators of data, not auditors of data

Edited by ThaiBunny

Here's a more useful tidbit from the WHO report on Thailand:

The Ministry of Public Health announcement designating COVID-19 as a dangerous communicable disease is based on provisions in Sections 5 and 6 of the Communicable Disease Act. It was published today in the Royal Gazette and will take effect on Sunday, 1st March 2020. This gives legal authority to communicable disease officers to test, treat and quarantine people infected with COVID-19 as well as high risk contacts if needed.

And this:

1940532759_2020-03-0111_23_47.jpg.c270d30b606341ad7ec1b2d76f037442.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

More BS-seems they are getting kickbacks from some countries 

Each person infects 3-4 people.  Someone can infect well before symptoms, people can infect never getting symptoms, some people are released as fine, then are ill again, some people are incubating and infecting up to 27 days.

Totally under control

• Thanks 2

It is a lot of unlogical reasoning in this article. After the SAR:s epidemology. Researchs show that surgery mask do not help as virus protection. It was also declared that fever test was rather useless as a person maybe not had come to that stage jet and as people could have take medicin to lower the fever. So what Thailand do is rather useless, more a play for the people.

Further more I can not get the figures right. The article says, ”Thailand has a cumulative number of 2,798 ‘Patients Under Investigation’ (PUI) which represents people currently under treatment/investigation and also includes people being treated for other conditions who are no longer suspected of having COVID-19.  So why are people that not longer is suspected to have the covid-19 virus still recogniced as PUI?

And by the way, Thailand have just hit its first deathcase because of thee virus according tio Bkk post, ”Thailand said a 35-year-old retail worker passed away in a Bangkok suburb”.

4 hours ago, justin case said:

and still thousands of chinese fly in EVERY single day...

imagine:  you are forced to fly to keep your multi non-o active, come back and get singled out thinking you have corona ...

who pay the bill ?

Koreans, Japanese, others who havent taken the precautions the Chinese have? They're ok are they?

I was in Korea about 10 days ago. Now I have a cold or flu like symptoms. Cough, phlegm, and runny nose.  I want to get tested for Corona but Samitivej wants 10000thb for a test that has no treatment. No way Thai's are paying that.  Internet searching doesn't give any other testing locations.

Edited by forrwhat
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

I was in Korea about 10 days ago. Now I have a cold or flu like symptoms. Cough, phlegm, and runny nose.  I want to get tested for Corona but Samitivej wants 10000thb for a test that has no treatment. No way Thai's are paying that.

I guess what you have to do is to go to an official place and let them catch you with fever or cough and so on. Than they have to test you. However I am not sure that you not would have to pay anyway.

3 hours ago, christophe75 said:

That's not the point.

The WHO is upset because Italy is testing too many... And announce the cases, too quickly...

I mean if you do not understand...

Testing criterias and time... those are 2 means to lie, cheat, conceal.

Have you followed China ? USA ? Thailand ? 

So I repeat the rhetorical question : Who the Who is working for ?

Hmm???? I think its a WHO office here and well follow the ..else

Having just got back from makro I was robustly screened before being allowed in. At the top of his voice the guy said temperature high, to the horror of everyone around me. It was 37.4 (which I thought was fine). Anyway he retested and it showed 37. Not very accurate that little device of his or his knowledge.

Edited by alien365
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Having just got back from makro I was robustly screened before being allowed in. At the top of his voice the guy said temperature high, to the horror of everyone around me. It was 37.4 (which I thought was fine). Anyway he retested and it showed 37. Not very accurate that little device of his or his knowledge.

Clearly you shop at very different places to myself here in bkk.

Aside note I have been to DMK, BKK and Saigon international airports over last 4 weeks. Was not tested for temperature any of them. Wednesday just gone on flight X Phuket to DMK I was checked (domestic). It was random I was one of very few tested. 

Currently in Udon Thani , was not tested and when return tomorrow will not for sure. Granted that's domestic.

I would hardly call it robust testing.

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, Parsve said:

So why are people that not longer is suspected to have the covid-19 virus still recogniced as PUI?

That's a very good question that as far as I know, the Thai health authorities have never answered here... Other countries report their data as having positive or negative tests for CV... But Thailand hasn't been doing that. So other than the few cases the government has confirmed as positive for CV, we have very little idea what's going on with the others. Or, as you asked, why they continue to be listed in the cumulative tally of PUI.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

There's been a lot of comment in the medical community about those external surface temperature scanners not being a very good tool for the purpose, even for just detecting actual fevers. Since apparently there can be considerable differences between the skin surface temperature and the interior body temperature.

FWIW, I went to Makro yesterday at a branch in BKK, and no one there was scanning anyone for anything!  Except the prices at the checkout counters!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forrwhat said:

I was in Korea about 10 days ago. Now I have a cold or flu like symptoms. Cough, phlegm, and runny nose.  I want to get tested for Corona but Samitivej wants 10000thb for a test that has no treatment. No way Thai's are paying that.  Internet searching doesn't give any other testing locations.

1145867630_2020-02-2711_35_21.jpg.da54a33dbfd752b652015878afd085ea.jpg

You may be able to do better than Samitivej's price on the testing. You might also check with Samitivej Srinakarin, as they seem to often have better prices than their main BKK branch.

• Like 1