Digital TV Set Top Box

mrjohn

I’m looking to buy a Digital TV Set Top Box for the wife, solely to receive free to air Thai TV channels.

I’m sure this question’s been asked before since all the threads I can find on the subject are rather old. I’m sure we are way behind the times but then, we usually are.

I have seen two on Lazada:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/haier-digitaltv-set-top-box-dh-1681ae-i306218914-s531972867.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.3d8efe06QKPRKG&search=1

and

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/digital-tv-set-top-box-including-external-anntenna-5e-i327296731-s625506907.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.57f53cc

The second one seems to include an antenna, whereas the first one doesn’t.

I’m assuming all these boxes do the same sort of job.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Unless you live very close to the transmitter then that small Ariel/antenna won't be much good,

check for your nearest transmitter  at this site

https://dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

I would recommend not letting it find your location automatically as it most often is inaccurate,instead zoom in on the map to your exact location then  left mouse click on the blue teardrop symbol at top right of the screen  then place mouse pointer on your location on the map and left click again  then you should get some info about the  distance to nearest transmitter,frequencies and compass pointing direction.

872096824_PattayaTVtransmitter3.jpg.7af1fcfc15edc86b24236596136a9bd2.jpg

most of the DVB T2 boxes sold here are much the same ( they conform to set  standards) there is not much to choose between them   but I would choose one with a bigger sized remote control unit.

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Unless you live very close to the transmitter then that small Ariel/antenna won't be much good,

check for your nearest transmitter  at this site

https://dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

I would recommend not letting it find your location automatically as it most often is inaccurate,instead zoom in on the map to your exact location then  left mouse click on the blue teardrop symbol at top right of the screen  then place mouse pointer on your location on the map and left click again  then you should get some info about the  distance to nearest transmitter,frequencies and compass pointing direction.

872096824_PattayaTVtransmitter3.jpg.7af1fcfc15edc86b24236596136a9bd2.jpg

most of the DVB T2 boxes sold here are much the same ( they conform to set  standards) there is not much to choose between them   but I would choose one with a bigger sized remote control unit.

Thanks for that detailed reply. The map shows 16.3km distance to transmitter. What sort of antenna would give good reception for that distance?

Make sure you actually need such a box as current TV sets have digital tuners built into them (so if converting from cable to over the air you may only require an antenna).  This is the best system as only need the TV remote for all functions.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Make sure you actually need such a box as current TV sets have digital tuners built into them (so if converting from cable to over the air you may only require an antenna).  This is the best system as only need the TV remote for all functions.

How would I find that out?

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Make sure you actually need such a box

Yes good point  most recent-ish TV's do now include a "Digital tuner"   

but there are still some being sold that only have an analogue tuner.

if the TV or box it came in has this logo then it should have a "Digital tuner built in"

TV-Digital-Thai-Logo.png.4d83b57a3c00345c610d551f0c867d01.png

2 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

How would I find that out?

The manual that came with TV should say.  Perhaps can find by looking up model number if you can post that (TV bought in last few years?).  You might also try tuning channels 1-37 and see if you get any picture (perhaps with finger on antenna input if you have nothing better - a piece of wire like a hanger might work).

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The manual that came with TV should say.  Perhaps can find by looking up model number if you can post that (TV bought in last few years?).  You might also try tuning channels 1-37 and see if you get any picture (perhaps with finger on antenna input if you have nothing better - a piece of wire like a hanger might work).

The TV was bought second-hand, so no box and no book. It’s probably about eight years old, could be more. I looked up the model number online and found one or two references to it but no mention of “digital” so I think it’s reasonable to assume it is analogue only.

Indeed if 8 years or older likely analog so tuner will be required.  

Check what others are using for antenna in your area and plan based on that.  If they do not have DTV reception a Sat dish and PSI tuner can provide several hundred channels for free and is not that much more expensive if you have a place to put the dish.