Bridge to Samui: PM shows support - project could start building in three years

webfact

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

residents of the island and Khanom could see the first piling after 3 years. 

And tomorrow pigs fly ..

At the border between the provinces of Nan and Uttaradit, in the village of Pak_Nai, a bridge must also be built over the large Sirikit Dam reservoir;
When I went to Pak Nai in 2010, I photographed the plan of the three bridge projects.
I went back there in August 2011 during my big tour of Thailand by mountain bike, still no bridge;
and BMW overlander who made us magnificent videos on U-Tube went there last year, and ...... still not the shadow of the first pile of this bridge;
this is road 1026, Wiang Sa - Na Noi - Na Muen - Pak Nay

476222824_DSCN2421_Nan_Pak_Nai(Copy).thumb.jpg.9c99239f508e3171ebc1f3d51e9b3c89.jpg

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

My God, they are sooo thick.

The allure of Koh Samui is that it is an island.

If it is connected to the mainland by bridge, then it is part of the mainland and thus merely a group of hotels and restaurants near the sea. Just like all the other resorts on the mainland.

Again, for those too thick to get it, the allure of a tropical island, and thus its appeal to tourists, is that it is an island.

How did these people get elected?

Well said.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If it is connected to the mainland by bridge, then it is part of the mainland

Interesting theory, is it an actual fact or your just thoughts about what constitutes an island?

To you, places like Phuket, Penang and all the islands comprising the Key West chain,  (there must be scores more) are just part of the mainland. What about undersea tunnels - Hong Kong, Britain?

My thoughts about this proposed bridge are firstly, it will never happen,  and if it did it would be a tragedy. My thoughts would be to greatly expand the ferry services and canx whatever the single airline agreement is. Open up the skies to cheap flights.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lom said:

there is no single airline agreement - it is just that the airport is fully owned by Bandit Airways so they decide how many flights there should be per day and how much to charge a competing airline for using the airport.

"canx whatever the single airline agreement is." 

I'll try to be more accurate next time, although, one airline owning the airport, setting prices and restricting flights seems very similar to my statement.

Should be interesting ... it has taken them around 3 years to resurface about 50% of the ring road, and they still haven't finished that ! ... so good luck with a very difficult bridge.

If they do build a bridge, the ring road could never cope with the increase in traffic. It is close to gridlock now at certain times of the day - imagine if the traffic say doubled. 

Total garbage news !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If it is connected to the mainland by bridge, then it is part of the mainland and thus merely a group of hotels and restaurants near the sea. Just like all the other resorts on the mainland.

Again, for those too thick to get it, the allure of a tropical island, and thus its appeal to tourists, is that it is an island.

by fixing the election of course...

3 hours ago, Vigilante said:

Many of these (promises of) mega-projects serve a purpose.

They are carrots to be dangled ,in the provinces concerned, usually before elections.

They cost nothing.

Free publicity for corrupt politicos

Kra canal anyone?

Name suggestion: Prayut & Friends Bridge...

Dumb and dumber. Looked this up. A water bridge of this sort costs between $60 and $70 million per kilometer. Really? Is this administration going to spend 65 billion baht on this? Shows their level of desperation, and their insatiable desire for tax revenue, that they can enrich themselves with. 

Just build a second airport, that only the discount airlines have access to, either on the southern part of the island, or in Don Sak. Easy deal. Win win for everyone except the BA mafia. They need to be put down anyway. A 30 year monopoly is plenty reward, for their initial investment. Now, for once it is time to consider the people, over the corporation. 

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

One ahole appoknting others as underlings. They would sel.mum for 5 bt. Why would Samui want to be Phuket?!? BS!!k

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

And tomorrow pigs fly ..

At the border between the provinces of Nan and Uttaradit, in the village of Pak_Nai, a bridge must also be built over the large Sirikit Dam reservoir;
When I went to Pak Nai in 2010, I photographed the plan of the three bridge projects.
I went back there in August 2011 during my big tour of Thailand by mountain bike, still no bridge;
and BMW overlander who made us magnificent videos on U-Tube went there last year, and ...... still not the shadow of the first pile of this bridge;
this is road 1026, Wiang Sa - Na Noi - Na Muen - Pak Nay

476222824_DSCN2421_Nan_Pak_Nai(Copy).thumb.jpg.9c99239f508e3171ebc1f3d51e9b3c89.jpg

In Ratchayothin we got a lovely train, three overpasses, one underpass and all the trappings in three years.

Mind you that is Bangkok, a place that matters.

Rooster

• Like 1