Britain tells the EU: we shall not sell out our fishermen

snoop1130

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, but a few fishes are still left in the Med, and also they have the whole Atlantic next door

Never enough for them - they have been wrecking West African fishing grounds for years.

• Like 1

I agree, if the UK does not get the deal they want with America, they should walk from the table, and if they get the deal shake hands. I also think the UK needs to commence a massive ship building program. Perhaps done jointly with the United States. To build certain ship type hulls quickly for deployment by both Navy's. China is coming!

17 hours ago, TheDark said:

Well, she is telling as it is. English fisheries are not going to be selling their fish to the EU once the no-deal brexit happens. Enough tariffs, extra paperwork with added costs, added delivery costs and delays will make sure of that. 

Again truth. It's not England which puts NHS deal to the table, it's USA which does that.

So much rumbling coming out of this government. I wonder what is the destination this government with it's huge mandate is going to walk away to? Abyss?

Your National Health system is yours to put on the table. the USA, can <deleted> and moan all day, about wanting to treat your NHS as a market to get into, that only happens if the the UK were to say yes. The USA can't force your national health onto a chopping block.

22 minutes ago, TheDark said:

But eating mackerel means sovereignty!

I kind of was hoping, these facts would have come a bit later, as a big surprise for those who say fishing industry is such an important issue. 

That sounds like a sell-out.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Do americans have lower food standards than the Brits?

I never heard of that, why kind of low standards should i think of?

Kind of a mixed bag really. Depending on the food item. A lot of protectionism, on both sides, hides behind substance bans, in my opinion.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheDark said:

That sums up the brexiteers strategy for complex negotiations.

- "Hey, why don't we amend wisdom from a 1500 years old fiction book." 

- "What a great idea, they'll never see what hit them! Our work is done."

You just made me think of Lord Haw Haw................????..............Well done........????

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

55% of the total UKs territorial waters belong to Scotland.

Still think an independent Scotland would not be welcomed back into the EU? 

If there is no agreement between the Uk and the EU regarding fishing I suspect an independent Scotland EU membership to the EU would be fast tracked. If there is an agreement between the UK and the EU on fishing Scotland will go through the normal  EU accession process How many years has Turkey been in the EU accession process

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Loiner said:

The UK fishing industry would grow significantly without even trying or doing anything extra. Simply ditching the EU quotas would permit them to keep all they catch. 

And how long before our waters over fished?

• Like 1

The Danish fishing fleet (it is big) mainly fishes in the North Sea, mainly in areas theoretically belonging to the UK. Any attempt at denying them access to those waters will practically ensure a no-deal with the EU (because Denmark would veto a deal not including fishing rights). Most of the fish the Danes catch would not sell well in the UK (mostly herrings, mackerel and fish for animal food). 

And the fish quotas would still remain. can only catch so much without damaging fish stocks. Only question is who gets to use them ... also remember fish do not know national boundaries, when they swim next door your neighbours catch them instead, unless there is some agreement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, vinny41 said:

It does appear that the EU wants to have your cake and eat it too  regarding fishing, I understand if you leave the EU club, you can't have the same access as a club member, but that applies both ways. The EU have stated the UK must “uphold” existing reciprocal access to fishing grounds or what is known as "Status quo" but they have to understand you can't have you cake and eat it also applies to them, Once we have left the club the rules of access change

The brexiteers never did comprehend the concept of co-operation.

32.Where fish stocks are not exclusively found in UK waters, then, the UK must co-operate on the management of the stocks.50 Prof Churchill explained: “most of the fish stocks found in the waters of the UK are actually shared with our neighbours, be it the EU, Norway, the Faroe Islands or, in some cases, all three”.51 How the UK decides to pursue its general obligations to co-operate with the EU and other neighbouring states will be a matter for negotiations before and after Brexit.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldeucom/78/7806.htm

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

ROFL

You seriously think you can make some kind of land (or sea) grab?

Deluded.

If SNP split the Kingdom the consequences will be entirely of their own making & will be no one's fault but their own.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The brexiteers never did comprehend the concept of co-operation.

32.Where fish stocks are not exclusively found in UK waters, then, the UK must co-operate on the management of the stocks.50 Prof Churchill explained: “most of the fish stocks found in the waters of the UK are actually shared with our neighbours, be it the EU, Norway, the Faroe Islands or, in some cases, all three”.51 How the UK decides to pursue its general obligations to co-operate with the EU and other neighbouring states will be a matter for negotiations before and after Brexit.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldeucom/78/7806.htm

Accessing the EEZ

35.Another fundamental change relates to access to fishing in the UK EEZ. Under international law, any decision to allow foreign vessels access to fish in UK waters will be a matter for bilateral negotiation and agreement between the UK and other coastal states. In the words of Prof Churchill:

“There is a distinction between what is said in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and what tends to happen in practice. … as far as the Convention is concerned … if in a particular coastal state’s EEZ the coastal state is capable of harvesting the entire allowable catch, it is under no obligation to allow any other fishermen from other states to fish there, so it can take the whole of the allowable catch. Where an obligation to admit other fishers comes in—again, this is on the theory of the convention—that is where the coastal state does not take the whole of the allowable catch and there is a surplus. It must admit other states to the surplus, but again it has a discretion … but only where there is a surplus.”52

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Suggest you re-read the original post as she has made it clear they will be no trade off or side deals link to fishing

have been the text twice, syllable by syllable

it is quite cear that she does not say what you claim;

"made it clear they will be no trade off or side deals link to fishing"

that semantics cannot be found in the OP

the words in the OP are carefully chosen to allow for some frogs while at the same time staying within the text in the OP

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheDark said:

I wonder which side has the upper hand on these negotiations? The economy of 65 million consumers or the economy of 450 million consumers.

About half of those 450 million customers come from relatively poor countries, or countries with crippled economies. It's not all about the number of people you know.