Child Custody for Thai Son

itsallmedia

I have a son with a Thai girl who is now living with her parents in Sawang Daen Din and will not let me see my son. I have already been to court and had him legalised as my son and had that registered at the amphur.

I can't seem to talk sense into her and she won't let me come visit him anymore and her parents are threatening me if I come back to visit him.

I've talked to a lawyer who says the process would be going to court in her province and the court cost will be 120k baht for 3 months. However, I want to avoid this at all costs if possible.

Is there any other solutions to get visitation or custody of my son out of court or is that the only process? Does that pricing sound right?

Would appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

I think what ever happens if the mother not let you see your son I think you will have trouble seeing him even with a court order it seems that there is no system in Thailand to enforce the court order

The only way for you to see your son would be to get 100% parental control  of your son which would mean a court case and unless you have good proof that she not look after your son I think the court will favor the mother, you would also have to show that you can look after your son alone

Are you supporting your son with money if you are I would stop giving her any until she gives you visiting rights

• Like 1

I really sympathize with your situation . How old is your son ? how much time have you spent with him so far in his life ? Do you have a strong bond with him . If you know where his mother takes him in town or where he goes to school , he might run to you if  he sees you , Surely she would have to let you stay with him for a while in those circumstances . As Offset said , do you take care of him financially . If yes , how much does she need the money . Maybe stopping it would make her rethink .

On 3/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, itsallmedia said:

Also, if anyone can suggest a lawyer in Udon Thani or Sakhon Nakhon who could write a letter for me, I would appreciate that. My current lawyer asked for 10k baht to write a letter requesting a civil agreement for visitation.

I pmd you.No chance a letter should be that price.

Best of luck

Edited by Odin Norway
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gimo said:

I really sympathize with your situation . How old is your son ? how much time have you spent with him so far in his life ? Do you have a strong bond with him . If you know where his mother takes him in town or where he goes to school , he might run to you if  he sees you , Surely she would have to let you stay with him for a while in those circumstances . As Offset said , do you take care of him financially . If yes , how much does she need the money . Maybe stopping it would make her rethink .

He's only 17 months old at this point. I spent a lot of time with him while he was very young until the mother took him away. I've managed to visit a few times, and he definitely remembers me but I can't get back because her family are threatening me and told the taxi company to stop picking me up. 

16 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

I pmd you.No chance a letter should be that price.

Best of luck

Thank you, appreciate it!

17 hours ago, offset said:

I think what ever happens if the mother not let you see your son I think you will have trouble seeing him even with a court order it seems that there is no system in Thailand to enforce the court order

The only way for you to see your son would be to get 100% parental control  of your son which would mean a court case and unless you have good proof that she not look after your son I think the court will favor the mother, you would also have to show that you can look after your son alone

Are you supporting your son with money if you are I would stop giving her any until she gives you visiting rights

She definitely isn't looking after him well, but I don't have proof other than what I've been told by her friends.

I am paying monthly for him right now at the advice of my first lawyers. They said it would help prove I am responsible in court and I'm obligated to do it after all the paperwork for legalising me as his father was filed.

6 hours ago, itsallmedia said:

He's only 17 months old at this point. I spent a lot of time with him while he was very young until the mother took him away. I've managed to visit a few times, and he definitely remembers me but I can't get back because her family are threatening me and told the taxi company to stop picking me up. 

Thank you, appreciate it!

She definitely isn't looking after him well, but I don't have proof other than what I've been told by her friends.

I am paying monthly for him right now at the advice of my first lawyers. They said it would help prove I am responsible in court and I'm obligated to do it after all the paperwork for legalising me as his father was filed.

Did you ask the lawyer what would happen if you got visiting rights but the mother still not let you see your child ( the police are know not to get involved with visiting rights), are you sure the mother is even looking after him and not letting the grandparents look after him which might be a reason why you cannot see him

17 hours ago, itsallmedia said:

In Thailand if you are not married to a Thai woman you have no rights over the child or children you have with her.
It is always the mother who has 100% of the rights.

Fighting for recognition of what you think are your rights, everything is possible provided you have time and especially a lot of money.
It would be best if you got in touch with a Thai lawyer who speaks your language;
in Khorat there is Isaanlawyers whose owner is Canadian;
he speaks and writes english and french and the thai lawyers who work with him speak english and thai.

https://www.isaanlawyers.com/

https://www.isaanlawyers.com/custody-of-a-child/

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a good link about custody of a child in Thailand, https://thailawonline.com/en/family/children/custody-of-a-child-thailand.html

I think it is by the Issan lawyer Assurancetourix mention.

If I can say a few things that may help (from experince as I have two thai children here in Thailand)

1) As mention, if not married you have no rights what so ever.

2) If family are threatening you then stay away from them, you may end up dead if not careful and then how can you help the child?

3) Never argue with the ex, do not respond to any verbal or written insults. Keep calm focus on wanting the best for the child

4) Do not say bad things about ex or her family, just focus on the welbeing of the child

5) Always reinforce that you want only the best for the child, good education etc

6) Keep calm, it will take time for the ex to come around to your thinking on wanting the best for the child

7) Do not pay alimony, just cover cost of pampers and milk each month, you can buy clothes and post them to the child

8)look at getting "Parental powers" as this gives you more rights over the child, read the link I sent to you above. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Here is a good link about custody of a child in Thailand, https://thailawonline.com/en/family/children/custody-of-a-child-thailand.html

I think it is by the Issan lawyer Assurancetourix mention.

If I can say a few things that may help (from experince as I have two thai children here in Thailand)

1) As mention, if not married you have no rights what so ever.

2) If family are threatening you then stay away from them, you may end up dead if not careful and then how can you help the child?

3) Never argue with the ex, do not respond to any verbal or written insults. Keep calm focus on wanting the best for the child

4) Do not say bad things about ex or her family, just focus on the welbeing of the child

5) Always reinforce that you want only the best for the child, good education etc

6) Keep calm, it will take time for the ex to come around to your thinking on wanting the best for the child

7) Do not pay alimony, just cover cost of pampers and milk each month, you can buy clothes and post them to the child

8)look at getting "Parental powers" as this gives you more rights over the child, read the link I sent to you above. 

Hope this helps

very good advice.   not so stupid  ????

unfortunately many , if not most, of these situations should be listed under " very slim chance of a favorable outcome".    people never want to hear that.  whether it be about a gf  or child custody or loss of assets .   Like everywhere, money and influence are the winners 99 percent of the time. OR, who will use violence .   The farang does not fare well here, even though there will always be a few that will say  BS  to what i just said.

Getting angry and fighting always just intensifies the battle.  Thais are not pushovers, and it

is their turf.

Having said all that.........  it's always up to the individual to let go, or not

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You already have custody as you've been court, the trick is to enforce it. I'd advise you to PM HappyLarry, his wife is an interpretor working with a lawyer with a great track record in family law. I've followed a couple of his cases and I'm impressed. They're in Korat so not too far. 

As the legal course is unlikely to get you a successful result, but may also see you financially exploited by lawyers, the question is how much does the mother need your money? Money may be the only leverage you have.

Also, you never explained why the mother would do this? What changed in the relationship that led to this?

On 3/4/2020 at 3:52 PM, itsallmedia said:

Walk away, pay no money to anyone.

When women are like this, there's nothing else to do.

Have more kids with someone nicer will fix it.