Covid-19 in Chiang Mai: Nearly 100 taxis returned to finance company as drivers can't meet repayments

webfact

Just now, Classic Ray said:

Grab will soak up the load and provide a better service no problem.

i very rarely have any issues with taxis in bangkok, and living centrally i can get a normal taxi much quicker than a grab, that's not saying there isn't a niche for grab, but i dont see any benefit for myself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

500 Baht a day is better than nothing which is exactly what they will get now it's the same in Phuket if they dropped their prices Im sure people would use them it's the biggest complaint we get about the price of taxi's

Not this time. Demand dropped for another reason than price.If you cannot cover your fixed cost, you're gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I absolutely agree. In the last week three of the places I eat at in Pattaya have gone under and that is only going to be the tip of the iceberg. Very tough times coming for many businesses across the country. I can sympathise with many, though those like taxi drivers and other price gougers who have ripped their customers off as hard as they could for years rank right down near the bottom of the list.

Agreed, but if you have a company you should be able to cope with setbacks. If not you had a miserable biss anyway. (Or maybe exchanged your reserves for fun stuff) I say this as the misery is just starting and already biss is falling apart.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

I don't think it is the company that has gone bust , it is the individual drivers. I doubt they have much margin to put money away. Surely you would need to clear at least 20k a month to cover your costs (every month).

I have some sympathy for those trying to make an honest living all over Thailand, not those that are out to scam every soul that crosses their path.

It does beg the question, what else are they indebted to ? Mortgage, car for the Mrs ? etc, I don't know, just posing the questions.

If it was possible to earn 1000 baht a day what about the tips ? How much a month eh, all of a sudden you have guys earning probably more than they have ever seen in their lives, they jump on the bandwagon but within a short few months it's all gone, no rainy day savings, this lot will be the next bunch to plead to the government for help along with the rest of the country.

And to be able to walk away from a legally binding financial commitment ? Wish you could do that at home ???? 

Edited by Golden Triangle

It will get interesting when they start to sell their 99% mortgaged houses, all at the same time of course.

I've been on the lookout for some cheap property for the last 10 years, haven't seen any at all.....

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

So they can just hand back their taxis to the finance company? They are not liable to pay the outstanding balance of the lease agreement?  

Thais having a contract or lease doesn't mean a thing.if they want to cancel a contract they can.

Not only will there be even more taxis, and even peoples cars and trucks being turned

back to dealerships, I wonder how many Chinese owned and operated hotels, and businesses

have closed up, and laid off their staff?  How many Thai Hotels and businesses have quit, as well?

Geezer

On 3/5/2020 at 7:32 AM, Thailand said:

I think that the likes of Grab getting a bigger share of the business are causing more problems than the downturn in tourists.

And grab getting a bigger share due to normal taxis scamming people. If they were to always use meter fewer people would use grab. I wouldn’t unless no taxis Arround or felt like using luxe service for personal reasons.

Today good mood thought, took a taxi around silom to bts, tipped him and he even thanked me for the tip despite being just 9 baht on top of 51. Thailand needs more honest ppl like that. Was first time a taxi thanked me despite me tipping hundreds of times. 

if meter is too low honestly Government should increase It. If we go by inflation to be honest it should start at 40-45. Not 35. That’s why I always tip. 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:19 PM, Golden Triangle said:

And to be able to walk away from a legally binding financial commitment ? Wish you could do that at home ???? 

You can, but first you need the learn the difference between 'secured' and 'unsecured' debt.