Wife co signatory on bank account Bangkok Bank

I have a couple of accounts solely in my name at Bangkok bank. Went in today thinking I could make my girlfriend a co signatory, in other words account is in my name but they add her signature to the passbook and if she has the book and signs she can withdraw money etc.

I am sure I saw others post here that this can be done but the guy at the bank sort of smiled and said can not, need to open a joint bank account. I take that with a grain of salt of course and Bkk Bank seem to be worse than immigration when it comes to individual branches having their own interpretations of things or probably more realistically little understanding of their own systems and procedures.

Has anyone else done this? I also have an SCB account which I could use for the same purpose ie her signatory. I just want to give her access to my account / funds should there be an emergency or my death. Don't particularly want to give her my online banking details or keycard etc. 

Edited by Tingtong2mut

?  Your title says wife then the body says gf.

So, your T gf convinced you to do this?

Even if not why the heck would any bank allow this?  It is for your own protection.

Can you imagine the draining of accounts that would occur?

Things go sour or even not, and all your money is gone.

It is a very good rule they have you should be thanking them and tell her; no can do...

PS:  Get a will if it is that important to you.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

I had this situation yesterday; however, I wanted a new account with my GF  a co-signatory on a limited amount of funds, to get her through the probate period if/when I cark it. Passbook only, she knows where it is.

I'd suggest to the OP he might want to copy my example. No way I would give anyone unlimited access to my funds; what happens if they dipped into the 800K at the wrong time in the Immigration cycle?

Not a big deal, about 30 minutes of signing copies and faffing around at Bangkok Bank.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I had this situation yesterday; however, I wanted a new account with my GF  a co-signatory on a limited amount of funds, to get her through the probate period if/when I cark it. Passbook only, she knows where it is.

I'd suggest to the OP he might want to copy my example. No way I would give anyone unlimited access to my funds; what happens if they dipped into the 800K at the wrong time in the Immigration cycle?

Not a big deal, about 30 minutes of signing copies and faffing around at Bangkok Bank.

I am in exactly the same situation and have exactly the same reasons but I don't nor would I have 800k in the account. I am on a different visa ....400k per year and only required for 2 months. After this time I deplete the funds as living expenses through the year. And yes sometimes in the case of a foreigner the account can be frozen until everything sorted. I have a will covering her, I trust her implicitly, well enough to risk 400k anyway. Any hooo, shouldn't have to explain all the personal stuff. I been here a while, know whats what and she isn't an ex bargirl. Been there done that and yes first chance she would have got account would have been gutted, in fact the first one I had here actually did. Not all people here are like that in fact I would trust more people here, and feel safer sometimes than I would back home. Never had anything stolen. Never really been ripped off or scammed.

So what are you saying you did? You opened a new joint account with her or they let you add her as a co signatory or opened an account for her?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tingtong2mut said:

I am in exactly the same situation and have exactly the same reasons but I don't nor would I have 800k in the account. I am on a different visa ....400k per year and only required for 2 months. After this time I deplete the funds as living expenses through the year. And yes sometimes in the case of a foreigner the account can be frozen until everything sorted. I have a will covering her, I trust her implicitly, well enough to risk 400k anyway. Any hooo, shouldn't have to explain all the personal stuff. I been here a while, know whats what and she isn't an ex bargirl. Been there done that and yes first chance she would have got account would have been gutted, in fact the first one I had here actually did. Not all people here are like that in fact I would trust more people here, and feel safer sometimes than I would back home. Never had anything stolen. Never really been ripped off or scammed.

So what are you saying you did? You opened a new joint account with her or they let you add her as a co signatory or opened an account for her?

I opened a new joint account with her. As Worgeordie says, both signatures are appended to the UV section of the bankbook, although it's not clear from his post whether she actually signed OVER his signature.

Everyone's circumstances are different. Having been screwed out of substantial sums of money by two women whose honesty I had faith in, I am no longer as trusting as I used to be. As a lawyer once said to me, money brings out the worst in people.

Yes....can be done...easily.  Have done it several times at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank to add my wife as signatory to an account in my name only.   Account I use for extension of stay/visa purposes.   In fact, did it at Bangkok Bank about 6 months ago.   You are still the sole owner and only your name appears on the bank book but the signatory (the wife in my case) can withdraw/transfer funds.  A new passbook is created where both of you sign the last page of the passbook and then these signatories can only been seen under a blacklight the bank uses to compare signatures.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes....can be done...easily.  Have done it several times at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank to add my wife as signatory to an account in my name only.   Account I use for extension of stay/visa purposes.   In fact, did it at Bangkok Bank about 6 months ago.   You are still the sole owner and only your name appears on the bank book but the signatory (the wife in my case) can withdraw/transfer funds.  A new passbook is created where both of you sign the last page of the passbook and then these signatories can only been seen under a blacklight the bank uses to compare signatures.

Pib, do the Thai bank staff folks have any particular Thai name for the thing you're describing?

kasikorn Bank Jomtien beach road branch (where I opened my account) insists that I cannot do as you described above Pib. I went on two days and even insisted they call a "Boss" to confirm - all that resulted in was his description of what a survivor must do if I pass on.  Rediculous waste of time and I don't know what I'm doing wrong to get them to understand Pib's description.  I suppose I could try another Kasikorn branch that represents more of a head office.  I suppose I could change bank accts to Bangkok Bank or krungsri as Pib noted.  etc etc

But before I do those things ---if anybody has any comments or suggestions to easily do what Pib has done, please advise your experience.  Thanks.

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Pib, do the Thai bank staff folks have any particular Thai name for the thing you're describing?

I'm not 100% sure....I remember seeing Power of Attorney on one form you complete....and there is a Bt30 fee which is for a govt stamp duty the bank must pay to finalize the form.  But when we (the wife and I) go to the bank to do this we just explain the account needs to stay in the person's name only but the person needs to be allowed to withdraw/transfer funds whenever required.  I think the proper terminology is signatory.    

The several times I have done this with the wife for a Bangkok Bank regular savings acct and some fixed accts I use to have....and also with my Krungsri Bank acct, I've never had an issue in getting it done.  Just explain you do not want to add the person as a joint owner but as a person who can withdraw funds when/if needed.  

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

I'v

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm not 100% sure....I remember seeing Power of Attorney on one form you complete....and there is a Bt30 fee which is for a govt stamp duty the bank must pay to finalize the form.  But when we (the wife and I) go to the bank to do this we just explain the account needs to stay in the person's name only but the person needs to be allowed to withdraw/transfer funds whenever required.  I think the proper terminology is signatory.    

The several times I have done this with the wife for a Bangkok Bank regular savings acct and some fixed accts I use to have....and also with my Krungsri Bank acct, I've never had an issue in getting it done.  Just explain you do not want to add the person as a joint owner but as a person who can withdraw funds when/if needed.  

I've done that before at the BKKB branch in BKK that holds my savings account, and the Bank of Ayudhya branch that holds my MDT, and the only thing they were willing to offer was me opening a new joint account, nothing like what you and others have reported being able to do.  As usual, the Thai banks are consistently inconsistent.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

As you are and remain the sole owner believe any transaction after your death would likely require the normal probate system takes place first to be legal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TG, 

Yea...nothing consistent about Thai banks except their inconsistently regarding some services/products--especially when it comes to a farang. 

Anyway, I was surfing around some of the Thai banks websites to see what I could find in English about a Signatory.  On the K-Bank website where they talk savings accounts for SMEs I found a paragraph talking Signatory...that is, adding a name to an acct for payments/withdrawals, etc.   How a Power of Attorney doc with Bt30 stamp duty is required.  The bank has a Power of Attorney form you fill out during the Signatory setup process and pay the bank the Bt30 stamp duty fee.  Basic same process is followed to add a Signatory to a regular savings acct owned by an individual like you or me....only takes about 10 minutes worth of paperwork. 

So, I guess adding a Signatory is the proper terminology and one of the forms completed during that process is a Power of Attorney.

Designate the name(s) of an authorized signatory for payment/withdrawal and conditions for payment/withdrawal (if the person is not authorized director per Section 3 under the Certificate of Registration, a power of attorney with THB30 duty stamp affixed is required)

Pib just mentioned SME (Small Mdm Enterprise), ok a business.  My internet search for Kasikorn only comes up with ref to a business or Juristic person (e.g., a condo committee member signing a condo payment check).  I can't find any personal acct mentioned.

Pib, perhaps you were allowed to do something normally reserved for business' or other official entities.

???

I have a savings account like this, only in my name, but with a transparent strip on the back page with my wife's signature that allows her to access the account at the teller's station.

My bank is Krungsri (Ayudhya).

Also, with this account, I have an ATM card, and, of course, with the PIN number, my wife can access the account via an ATM.

12 hours ago, OneZero said:

kasikorn Bank Jomtien beach road branch (where I opened my account) insists that I cannot do as you described above Pib. I went on two days and even insisted they call a "Boss" to confirm - all that resulted in was his description of what a survivor must do if I pass on.  Rediculous waste of time and I don't know what I'm doing wrong to get them to understand Pib's description.  I suppose I could try another Kasikorn branch that represents more of a head office.  I suppose I could change bank accts to Bangkok Bank or krungsri as Pib noted.  etc etc

But before I do those things ---if anybody has any comments or suggestions to easily do what Pib has done, please advise your experience.  Thanks.

As already mentioned things like this are not consistent across all banks nor within one bank. And call the Bank of Thailand and you'll get lots of double talk but no clear answer.

I've done exactly as wanted by the OP at 2 K bank branches (both in Chiang Mai) but with my Thai adult son as the second signatory (my Thai wife has already passed away).

The further twist is that we asked about this at the big K bank branch at Airport Plaza, the bank officer was an older grumpy uncooperative man who insisted this set-up was illegal*. Within a few days we went to 2 other K bank branches (in CM) where we hold accounts, no hesitation by bank staff, all completed in 15 - 20 minutes.

(*He also insisted that my Thai son (or any Thai person) having a typical western surname was illegal, which is of course not true.)

• Like 1

Thanks all for your replies. As I suspected what I required standard practise around the world. What really annoyed me was the patronising grinning fool who kept laughing and say no no no, Like I was an idiot. Got the same thing when I needed to open a foreign currency account. Went to 2 branches. Idiots walking around in suits clearly never heard of what I was talking about and too lazy or proud to make a call. 3rd bank done in 20 minutes. 

My Mrs called Bkk bank this morning and they said yes it can be done, but up to the branches discretion lol. Can you imagine the face saving rubbish I would have to go through?

Bkk bank is like banks back home 30 years ago, when you felt like you had to go in on bended knee. As far as I'm concerned banks are only shops that sell, store or rent money. She also rang SCB and they said no problem at all. Going to move everything over to them

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Did anyone mention simply getting her an ATM card? 

She could also easily use his if he unable to do himself.  Do not believe this co-signer avoids the lock down of account on death so not really any better than an ATM card in my understanding.  It is not a pay on death as we have in USA.  

13 hours ago, OneZero said:

Pib just mentioned SME (Small Mdm Enterprise), ok a business.  My internet search for Kasikorn only comes up with ref to a business or Juristic person (e.g., a condo committee member signing a condo payment check).  I can't find any personal acct mentioned.

Pib, perhaps you were allowed to do something normally reserved for business' or other official entities.

???

Nope....allowed on regular ol' individual savings accts also....as mentioned I've done it numerous times at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank over the years with my wife.   And other people keep chiming in that they have done it also. 

It used to be that filled in and signed withdrawal slips with actual ID (not photocopy) from you works almost like a power of attorney, you can sign a few blank ones and keep in in the safe, and upon your death, your spouse could have access to the money providing that they don't tell the Bank thar you've carked it.

Would this still work with all the new regulations? 

23 minutes ago, Tingtong2mut said:

My Mrs called Bkk bank this morning and they said yes it can be done, but up to the branches discretion

Yeap...same old story....seems policy (or knowledge) varies from branch to branch.  This Is Thailand.

Earlier I mentioned I had done it...branches I did it at is the head branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok....and also at the Bangkok Bank branch in the same govt complex as Cheangwattana (Bangkok) Immigration.  And the Krungsri Bank branch in the Chaengwattana Immigration building.  No resistance at all given in adding a signatory.