Udon Thani a very quiet place Now!!!

ThailandRyan

While agreeing with your comment in principle CuriousKen, I must say that ThiaVisa keyboard warriors are pussycats when compared with those who post comments regularly on  the articles in a certain English language Thai newspaper that dare not speak its name on this expat website. Vitriol and long-running spats stalk its pages seemingly free of editorial restriction from the newspaper. Its often an odious read.

I live in Udon, still busy rush hours and in the big stores. Yes the number of expats has declined but that has been an ongoing thing for the last 5 years - poor exchange rates, Brexit and the visa changes. So expat bars and restaurants  have declined. The downturn in the Thai economy the last 6 months, drought and tax rises have cut Thai spending noticeably  (at last village party, wife's takings at her shop were down 30%). Also remember school holidays have just started.

The Platinum complex died 5 years ago, BIg C, Tesco on the Nongbua Lamphu road have been pretty deserted ever since. No developments that area for a long time. Most developments are East and North of the city.

Idiots always seem to chime in, nothing relevant! I have lived here over 11 years and something Is on the move!

People now are afraid, I am not really as I am old! I pray this will soon be over! I do stay mostly home which Is in Bangkok!

God bless and suggest we all pray!

Edited by rascalman
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I lived in Udon Thani from January 2010 to August 2014, then back to the US, and then back again from June 2016 to last May when the Divorce took place. Between 2014 and 2016 we popped back and forth during school breaks in the US for the daughter.  So there is your reference frame.

Thanks for the context there. I have been away since the first week of January and wondered if your recent observations were influenced by the steadily worsening national economy or the current viral pneumonia alert. When I lived in Udon from 2007 to 2013, it was initially quiet but getting busier. When we returned in early 2017, the difference was significant, especially at weekends when inner-city traffic was mostly manageable between the morning and late afternoon rush hours. Any shopping was done during the week since traffic and parking was a serious issue all through the weekend.

At the end of February this year, local schools started closing for the long, annual 'Songkran' holiday so I imagine many city streets that would be gridlocked from about 3 PM onwards suddenly became easier to navigate.

As another member has commented, the west-side stores have been a bit of a slow-mo train wreck when it comes to loss of customers. Even Ngee Soon never seems as busy as it used to be. The 'southern' ring-road was expanded to dual carriageway but the quality of the northern, east-bound lanes haven't stood up to the traffic and doesn't get repaired properly either. All a bit of an 'empty quarter' around that way IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

I was out at the weekend in UD town and it was ram packed as usual, last night still busy enough. 

The Centara hotel now has competition from newer, better hotels on soi Sampan etc so will always be quieter from now on.

Using the bars as a barometer to judge Udon Thani will give a false picture. They’ll  always struggle because they’re mostly <deleted> and only cater for the alcoholic expats, not much to attract the younger clientele.

Higher rents and strong baht obviously haven’t helped in the red light areas but Udon Thani doesn’t rely on the Singha t-shirt crowd for revenue.

Yes it’s quieter than last year, only just. Udon is a University city with plenty of ongoing construction and should fare better than most cities in Thailand in the present climate, helped by its close proximity to Laos.

• Like 2

Sounds a bit exaggerated to be honest. Just the other day I stopped off at a new shopping plaza on Mitraphab highway in Phol, Khon Kaen. Parking lot full of cars, quite a few shoppers inside (hardly packed, but remember it's Phol not Khon Kaen or Udon Thani). A couple of westerners were shopping inside as well. Shopping malls down in Bangkok a few days earlier, hardly packed, but certainly a sizeable number of patrons; still pretty busy on weekends.

Keep in mind the recent shootings (Lopburi, then Terminal 21 Korat) may have scared some shoppers away from going to malls. While the economy does look like it's dragging it's feet, I feel it's a bit over the top to suggest "everywhere is like a ghost town".

2 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

I was out at the weekend in UD town and it was ram packed as usual, last night still busy enough. 

The Centara hotel now has competition from newer, better hotels on soi Sampan etc so will always be quieter from now on.

Using the bars as a barometer to judge Udon Thani will give a false picture. They’ll  always struggle because they’re mostly <deleted> and only cater for the alcoholic expats, not much to attract the younger clientele.

Higher rents and strong baht obviously haven’t helped in the red light areas but Udon Thani doesn’t rely on the Singha t-shirt crowd for revenue.

Yes it’s quieter than last year, only just. Udon is a University city with plenty of ongoing construction and should fare better than most cities in Thailand in the present climate, helped by its close proximity to Laos.

Exactly my thoughts. The economy in neighboring countries is also going to take a major hit especially from all the quarantines and travel restrictions. In Laos, the hotel I stay at in Savannakhet is completely devoid of guests - I was the only one present for breakfast. Had a really North Korean feel to it - grand breakfast hall, full of dishes and cutlery but no food!

A favorite restaurant of mine - is always empty. I was the only diner for lunch yesterday (same as last year and 2 years ago). Don't know how they remain in business, though I suspect the proprietor owns the property and thus doesn't have to worry about paying rent. So far have only seen one Chinese registered truck, no private Chinese cars. One doesn't normally see tons of Chinese cars in southern Laos, but usually a fair few, as the Chinese tend to drive throughout the country. Nowadays, none at all. Plenty of Thai and Vietnamese plates as usual though.

As in parts of Thailand I was in recently, like Kanchanaburi - yes there are still tourists but somewhat fewer than "normal". Remains to be seen how things will develop in coming months. When you don't see ANY tourists in touristy places, then it might be time to worry. From what I could tell, in Laos, still plenty of western backpackers and a few elderly people but no Chinese. In Thailand and Myanmar, much the same thing.

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Strange weather here in UT today, 10:30 am its 22c and been raining for the past 6 hours, should help with the drought! ???? 

Just finished my breakfast on the patio, & feel a bit cold.

????

NB. I did actually eat off a plate....:laugh:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Very good point with regard to hotel choices. The Centara where the OP stayed was never busy even when I last stayed there back in 2006 which was before they expanded Robinson's into the current Central Plaza. The past 5 or 6 years has seen plenty 3-star and 4-star hotels opening in and around town that offer much better value for money for locals and foreign visitors. Getting a room at the weekend can be challenging. There's an excellent 3-star on the ring-road that's only 2 minutes walk from our home offering air-conditioned rooms and hot water showers for only 580 baht/night.

Udon is also a hub for the Lao home-builders and weekends especially sees plenty Lao-plated vehicles at HomePro and the like, loading up with stuff they can't get back home.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:58 AM, Phuket Mafia said:

I just moved here roughly 2 months ago and love it. I’m not really sure how the town was before but in its current state it’s perfect for me.

Im certainly struggling to meet other young foreigners but fingers crossed ????

Hardly any young foreigners....under 50 anywhere in Thailand now...no long term visa options for them

5 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Hardly any young foreigners....under 50 anywhere in Thailand now...no long term visa options for them

Many are gone indeed but there are enough still around, also a lot of new ones. Many just stay 1-2 years only and are not really visible for the expat scene.
So we do not get to know them like the ones who came before for a long long term. Sucks if you ask me, gets tired to make friends who leave short after.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Many are gone indeed but there are enough still around, also a lot of new ones. Many just stay 1-2 years only and are not really visible for the expat scene.
So we do not get to know them like the ones who came before for a long long term. Sucks if you ask me, gets tired to make friends who leave short after.

Why you want farang male friends?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Why you want farang male friends?

Maybe wants to talk about music, sport, politics, movies or just idle chit chat, something that is impossible to do with any Thai person regardless of their education or background even if the poster is fluent in Thai

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Can you imagine if this drags on for months. Thousands of businesses will go bankrupt and millions will suffer financially. Far more than a bout of the FLU.

Lets hope common sense returns. It's madness atm.

These doomsday cults co2/Corona need to be put to bed once and for all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Lets hope common sense returns. It's madness atm.

These doomsday cults co2/Corona need to be put to bed once and for all.

Good luck with that, any suggestions on how to revive the economy and nightlife here other than tourism....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Good luck with that, any suggestions on how to revive the economy and nightlife here other than tourism....

As stated I live outside Udon Thani, where I am the local economy is doing well, there is no shortage of water, it's noticeable how much more land is being used to grow vegetables.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I have lived here long enough to know that this countries economy and people are suffering, and it does not bode well. 

Thanks for your post Ryan, yes Udon Thani has quietened down a little of late, albeit I suppose it all depends on the time and day you go, that said, we went yesterday (Friday) and arrived at 12.45pm.

Traffic was lighter than usual, and we prefer a weekday as the kids are at usually at school and we enjoy our quiet time together, meaning we are 4 kids short in the car, YES ! ! !.

Prior to yesterday we used to go to Udon Thani to do our shopping every week, its an hours drive, that said we have reduced this to once a fortnight since the Covid-19 news, usual places we would frequent are as follows, Central Plaza for lunch at the food court, usually find parking underneath but not before going to the very end, so it's still pretty full, except for the Centara part of the car park, it's 90% empty, yesterday we got a spot in the second row of the big car park, but not before having to go around to get to the second row, there would have been half a dozen spots available.

The food court, well a I would say 10% tables vs having to previously walking around to find a table at every other time, so I would say it has quietened down, moreso now that it is school holidays, possibly parents holding their kids back or going on holidays. I will also say this, the food portions were less, maybe trying to cut costs, won't be eating there again, will we.  

We did a quick stint in Tops after lunch and left early as one of the staff members started coughing, even though she had a face mask on, it didn't make us feel very comfortable at all, I mean what is wrong with employers, if you have a staff member coughing, send them home until they are better, I mean are they so stingy to pay them sick leave, especially with everyone highly strung at the moment, we did also intend to walk around Robinson to do some other shopping, but that employee through us off, straight to the car, suffice to say, if you are complaining about businesses suffering, perhaps you should start with keeping employers who cough at home, simple really.

Moving right along, went to Villa Mart after Central, 40 degree outside, which might have also be another reason it was quiet ? Villa Mart was quiet as usual, then onto Makro, busy as usual, waiting in the que, a check out staff member with face mask on coughing, WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE, yes ok, at least she had a face mask on, but in my opinion shouldn't be at work, especially in the current climate, sure her cough could be from something else, but I think you get my point, we have young kids and we are very protective, only wish these large companies like Makro and Tops thought about their staff and customers, oops sorry forgot where I was.

I think the time that you arrived coinciding with the start of the school holidays and the summer temperature, may have given some degree of reason why it is was quiet, perhaps some have gone on holidays, but I doubt that, with people suffering because of the economy, maybe people are just staying home, as I know in our village, no one is going anywhere as it all Coronavirus, and why my wife locks the front gate, I have no idea ????

• Like 1