If you’re healthy, a cotton mask will do

webfact

If you’re healthy, a cotton mask will do

By The Nation

800_fab69579bf5148e.jpg?v=1583310256

The number of confirmed Covid-19 virus infections in Thailand remained unchanged at 43 on Wednesday (March 4), with 31 people recovered, 11 still under medical care and one death, the Public Health Ministry reported.

It noted that Thailand ranks 17 among countries and territories globally for the number of cases confirmed. 

Citing a shortage of top-grade surgical masks, Dr Bancha Khakhong, deputy chief of the ministry’s Department of Health, said people showing no flu-like symptoms can feel safe wearing simple cloth masks.

200304-02.jpg

They can even make their own, he said, using cotton or “salu cotton”, which have the benefit of shrinking in mesh size the more they’re washed, right down to the width of one micron. 

Even the simplest cotton mask can prevent 54-59 per cent of airborne germs from entering the respiratory system, which is sufficient for preventing virus infection in healthy persons, Bancha said.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha meanwhile said the government had established a second Covid-19 surveillance and management centre to share the workload of the one at the Health Ministry.

He made the remark after a meeting of state agencies on the return of thousands of Thai labourers from South Korea.

“Many people have been worried about phi noi being allowed to self-quarantine,” he said, using the term “little ghost”, a name for Thais working illegally overseas. 

“The government has issued a clear requirement for all those returning from Daegu and North Gyeongsang province [South Korea’s hardest-hit locales] to be quarantined in government facilities for 14 days.”

VCCv9Req.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383354

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-04
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

So its all under control you can believe the daily bullsh@t government statements...............

Yet it seems that every pharmacy in my area has a no masks available sign and the millions that were supposed to be made available at 7/11s have vanished.

So if you are at risk due to age or having to be amongst a crowd etc or with a sick person or visiting a hospital or simply wanting a mask to protect from the air quality you cant ......... unless you have a sewing machine to hand.

Stunning planning and logistics by the half wits.

The ministers couldnt get pished in a brewery or get laid in Pattaya even if their were five thousand working girls! 

Edited by sapson
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Even the simplest cotton mask can prevent 54-59 per cent of airborne germs from entering the respiratory system, which is sufficient for preventing virus infection in healthy persons, Bancha said.

I have no idea where he's getting that percentage range or assumption from. Never heard such a claim before.

But I do know, the WHO does NOT recommend people to wear cloth masks, probably out of concern that they won't be regularly cleaned and disinfected. (And of course, cloth masks do nothing for preventing inhaling of PM2.5 air pollution).

Kinda funny how the Thai authorities all of a sudden start talking about cloth masks now when, despite everything being "under control," there continue to be widespread shortages of even the crummy paper drugstore face masks that they claimed they could produce enough of locally, not to mention hand cleaning gel and all kinds of other health/disinfecting related products.

Maybe time to get out that old beggar's cup again and start asking Big Brother China for some more help or hand-me-downs, because clearly Thailand can't handle the situation on its own.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Why bash the Thai's when WHO is not recommending wearing a mask, either cloth or N95. Surely something around your mouth is better than nothing, which Thailand is suggesting? Many differing opinions out there huh.

There's a huge difference between claiming people shouldn't wear masks because they might not be effective vs. because they are effective but someone has decided you really don't need one.

The U.S. CDC absolutely and strongly recommends that all emergency services personnel who may deal with potential or actual CV cases should wear masks, face protection, gowns, gloves, etc. Because, the masks and other PPE (personnel protective equipment) DO work in preventing their exposure to the virus -- if the PPE is worn and handled properly.

The same notion absolutely would apply to any general member of the public who's in a situation/place where they have the potential to come into contact with potential or actual CV positive people.  Except, because there's a worldwide shortage of such PPE, the various medical authorities are taking the public position, in essence, that medical workers need the masks and other equipment more than the general public does. Thus the public message delivered by some like the WHO, you don't really need to wear a mask.

Well, in my case, I have my own stock of N95 masks that pre-dated the whole CV outbreak (because of terrible PM2.5 air pollution in Thailand). So I'm not taking masks away from anyone else who needs them. But as I've said throughout this entire ordeal, if the masks are good enough for health care workers, then they're good enough for me too. And I do know how to properly fit and wear them, even though a lot of the authorities somehow think that's beyond the comprehension of an average citizen.

As for cloth masks, I think the reason they tend to get negative reviews is the re-use element, and users not necessarily handling them in a way that ensures they're clean and sanitary with each successive use. Whereas with disposable N95 or drugstore masks, you wear the mask a couple of times and then discard it for a fresh one, ensuring your facewear is going to be reasonably sanitary on an ongoing basis.

From Newsweek:

The WHO estimated that 89 million medical masks, 76 million gloves and 1.6 million goggles would be needed each month for health care workers to respond to the outbreak. Without protecting people on the front line, it will be impossible to stop COVID-19, according to Ghebreyesus.

"WHO has shipped nearly half a million sets of personal protective equipment to 27 countries but supplies are rapidly depleting," Ghebreyesus said. "Supplies can take months to deliver, market manipulation is widespread and stocks are often sold to the highest bidder."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, in my case, I have my own stock of N95 masks that pre-dated the whole CV outbreak (because of terrible PM2.5 air pollution in Thailand). So I'm not taking masks away from anyone else who needs them. But as I've said throughout this entire ordeal, if the masks are good enough for health care workers, then they're good enough for me too. And I do know how to properly fit and wear them, even though a lot of the authorities somehow think that's beyond the comprehension of an average citizen.

As for cloth masks, I think the reason they tend to get negative reviews is the re-use element, and users not necessarily handling them in a way that ensures they're clean and sanitary with each successive use. Whereas with disposable N95 or drugstore masks, you wear the mask a couple of times and then discard it for a fresh one, ensuring your facewear is going to be reasonably sanitary on an ongoing basis.

From Newsweek:

Good post mate.

I also bought a stock of N95 masks bcos of the air quality, plus some hand gel, for some reason, before this outbreak! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

Why bash the Thai's when WHO is not recommending wearing a mask, either cloth or N95. Surely something around your mouth is better than nothing, which Thailand is suggesting? Many differing opinions out there huh.

Follow the link for further WHO info....29 Jan 2020.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/documents/advice-on-the-use-of-masks-2019-ncov.pdf

Here is an excerpt from the link - WHO:

• -  a medical mask is not required, as no evidence is

available on its usefulness to protect non-sick persons. However, masks might be worn in some countries according to local cultural habits. If masks are used, best practices should be followed on how to wear, remove, and dispose of them and on hand hygiene action after removal (see below advice regarding appropriate mask management).

Another Website below:

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 19.33.32.png

"No evidence they protect."

"Cultural habits".

Reaffirms my opinion that masks are bogus totems worn by idiots.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

all first responders in the USA must now wear masks and gloves.

meanwhile in Thailand.

EPlIegdVUAAzlIN.jpg

Finally I can 'come out' and practice my secret fantasy in public ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

They can even make their own, he said, using cotton or “salu cotton”, which have the benefit of shrinking in mesh size the more they’re washed, right down to the width of one micron. 

Wow good idea. The only thing is the virus is smaller than one moron micron. 

• Haha 2

".. people showing no flu-like symptoms can feel safe wearing simple cloth masks."

Key word is feel safe as opposed  to be safe

I'm gonna carry some herbs in my pockets and a new amulet to feel safe. Ought to do the trick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I use a paisley bandanna cowboy style, which has the extra advantage of making me look mean, albiet not lean.

you'd 'look' if you found that banks stopped bandanna wearers (not masks) from entering!

16 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Because there is a shortage of masks, that's why!  Can't you read?

People panic-buying masks when they don't need make them unavailable for the more vulnerable that do need them! 

• Like 1