If you’re healthy, a cotton mask will do

webfact

14 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

"No evidence they protect."

"Cultural habits".

Reaffirms my opinion that masks are bogus totems worn by idiots.

Go to a local hospital in Thailand where they're treating CV patients, and see what ALL the medical staff there will be wearing. Lesson learned.

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Wow good idea. The only thing is the virus is smaller than one moron micron. 

That's a red herring issue. If someone who's infected coughs or sneezes in your direction, they're not emitting tiny virus molecules by themselves. The virus is contained in larger droplets of phlegm / mucus that certainly are large enough to not pass thru mask material.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

The U.S. Surgeon General told the public to stop buying masks. 

Because the masks, particularly the N95 variety, DO work, if worn and handled properly, and they're trying to conserve/reserve supplies for medical personnel, since there's at present a worldwide shortage.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's a red herring issue. If someone who's infected coughs or sneezes in your direction, they're not emitting tiny virus molecules by themselves. The virus is contained in larger droplets of phlegm / mucus that certainly are large enough to not pass thru mask material.

They would theoricaly filter even more effectively particules of the size of a virus. Those who believe they don't work are exactly the one who don't know how to use them thus should not use them. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VaeilaGyB9kL9cQYOBWkt5oRrUfluv2I/view?usp=drivesdk

Screenshot_20200305_122525.jpg

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And, if you don't clean that mask after use, you won't be healthy for a long as it becomes a moist petri dish for bacteria to grow on. 

Especially if a Covid19 infected person has coughed and sneezed all over the mask or you. Really only the infected need wear masks and avoid passing on their germs. Then again maybe some do not know they are infected??

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Because there is a shortage of masks, that's why!  Can't you read?

Which is why they are suggesting making your own!

At least that is what I read.

Edited by ianezy0

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Coronavirus is far more likely to be transmitted via surfaces. Western medical authorities recommend avoiding touching the face. Given the number of nosepickers in Thailand, it's a fair bet the spread is inevitable.

Aside from the nose pickers gibe you are the only one who is getting close to the reality. The virus is being passed on by surface interaction. Face masks might as well be a pair of a hot models undies as they have no effect whatsoever. Be aware of all sorts of contact with everything and wash ur hands endlessly as you would if you were a surgeon scrubbing down to operate on the love of your life who suffers from low immunity. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rodknock said:

read the u.s. cdc notices. they say the masks will not stop virus.

the mask is good for smog particles.

Perfect for government health officials, who appear to live in permanent smog of fake news.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Yes they don't protect idiots who can't read between the lines, learn how to use them and take the time to read what research papers by actual scientist have to say. 

Like these scientists you mean?

The science, according to the CDC, says that surgical masks won’t stop the wearer from inhaling small airborne particles, which can cause infection. Nor do these masks form a snug seal around the face. The CDC recommends surgical masks only for people who already show symptoms of coronavirus and must go outside, since wearing a mask can help prevent spreading the virus by protecting others nearby when you cough or sneeze. The agency also recommends these masks for caregivers of people infected with the virus.

The CDC also does not recommend N95 respirators—the tight-fitting masks designed to filter out 95% of particles from the air that you breathe—for use, except for health care workers. Doctors and health experts keep spreading the word. “Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!” tweeted Dr. Jerome Adams, the U.S. Surgeon General, on Feb. 29. “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

As I said, totems for idiots.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The CDC also does not recommend N95 respirators—the tight-fitting masks designed to filter out 95% of particles from the air that you breathe—for use, except for health care workers.

Except the CDC DOES recommend N95 masks and other PPE for all emergency services personnel who may come into contact with potential or actual CV patients. And why do you think that is???  Because the masks DO work and will help protect those workers, if the masks and other PPE are worn and handled properly.

So why should the general public be any different? 1. the medical establishment seems to believe that the general public aren't smart or educated enough to be able to learn how to properly use and wear the PPE. And 2., there's a worldwide shortage of PPE right now, and the medical establishment take the view that emergency services personnel needs the masks and other PPE MORE THAN the general public, which is hard to argue with.

Except, given the above, as a member of the general public, if I have access to PPE and live in an area with an outbreak of CV, which I do, then I'm absolutely going to wear whatever masks I have, and practice good hand hygiene, etc etc.

I live in Thailand. So I'm long past any expectation that I can rely on the government or medical authorities here to protect my personal health, since they've pretty well shown they're incapable of doing so. Money and politics tops public health, every time.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I've super glued my mouth and nose shut now I'm going to see if I make it outside to test if it works.I was just going to chop my head off but then I realised the virus could still get in through my severed neck.The glue method really seems to be working as nothing is getting in or out......

never trust anyone who uses the term "germs" to describe pathogens. Scientifically the word germ means life giving and has no relation to viruses and bacteria. s

secondly: 54 % of germs blocked.......bacteria are thousands of times bigger than viruses so that means they dont block viruses at all and juts block the larger bacteria.

Thirdly: masks are useful in that they can stop a person idly touching their mucous membranes...thus reducing chance of infection; 

A mask that any microbiologist would use (yes i have) is the N95 mask. these are larger, uncomfortable, expensive and not practical. everything else is ineffective at stopping airborne viral particles. 

These muppets must not even consult properly trained microbiologists.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Like these scientists you mean?

The science, according to the CDC, says that surgical masks won’t stop the wearer from inhaling small airborne particles, which can cause infection. Nor do these masks form a snug seal around the face. The CDC recommends surgical masks only for people who already show symptoms of coronavirus and must go outside, since wearing a mask can help prevent spreading the virus by protecting others nearby when you cough or sneeze. The agency also recommends these masks for caregivers of people infected with the virus.

The CDC also does not recommend N95 respirators—the tight-fitting masks designed to filter out 95% of particles from the air that you breathe—for use, except for health care workers. Doctors and health experts keep spreading the word. “Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!” tweeted Dr. Jerome Adams, the U.S. Surgeon General, on Feb. 29. “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

As I said, totems for idiots.

The time is not a valid scientific source. 

The CDC current leadership has an agenda and is contradicting their own guidelines. 

"During that pandemic, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended using the tighter-fitting N95 respirators, designed to fit closely over the nose and mouth and filter at least 95 percent of airborne particles, rather than the looser-fitting surgical masks routinely worn by health care workers, Dr. Perl said. But some facilities had trouble replenishing N95s as supplies were used."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190903134732.htm

A real scientific source look more like this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4873718/ but it requires patience and reading comprehension. 

I perfectly understand what the CDC is doing. Most people don't understand when and how to use correctly a surgical facemask or a respirator and since there is currently a shortage then it's better not to reccomemd the general public to use them. In fact it might even make the situation worse for them. 

Edited by Tayaout

Love the way WHO and local government tries to manage perception.  Tell we don’t need masks because they don’t work.  Fact is they have no proof they work or don’t work.  Just because there is no proof that they work is a reason to recommend against them. Then we are told that if you use a mask it should be N95 spec.  Now masks made from rags are OK ... again with no proof.  Best these people be ignored, they are clueless.  The whole virus thing is being managed for political ends and not for the benefit of the people

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

Love the way WHO and local government tries to manage perception.  Tell we don’t need masks because they don’t work.  Fact is they have no proof they work or don’t work.  Just because there is no proof that they work is a reason to recommend against them. Then we are told that if you use a mask it should be N95 spec.  Now masks made from rags are OK ... again with no proof.  Best these people be ignored, they are clueless.  The whole virus thing is being managed for political ends and not for the benefit of the people

There have been many studies over many years regarding infection control, about ineffectiveness of surigical masks, which become saturated with the wearers own moisture and then ineffective within 6 minutes in normal situations.

The N95 masks can filter some airborne virus, and is the one recommended, if you have rebreather/repsirator mask it is most effective, but not readily available  or recommended for usual use 

The use of surgical masks is generally to protect patients from expired droplets, as patients are of compromised or they would not be patients. They give a sense of security in hospital settings.

Hand hygiene and as little contact with surfaces(shopping trolley handles, escaltor rails, hand rails, aircraft armrests, tray tables, restaurant table surfaces) as pssible.

Edited by RJRS1301

Surely you guys know that the mask is to protect others from your should you be a carrier. Masks do absolutely nothing for the wearer.  Also I heard 20 mins effectiveness not 6 mins but...

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Happy to know you know more than the experts who are still not sure if this is purely droplet or also airborne transmission (or maybe they do know they're just not telling us). Please keep us updated.

Edited by dinsdale

27 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Happy to know you know more than the experts who are still not sure if this is purely droplet or also airborne transmission (or maybe they do know they're just not telling us). Please keep us updated.

Droplets can be airborne....  It's either droplets that have landed on some surface you touch, or droplets in the air that you breathe in, etc etc.  There's not much doubt about those methods of transmission for CV.

The best reason to wear a mask, is so you don’t touch your mouth and nose.  I read that most people touch their face 20 plus times an hour.  So, if you throw on a pair of glasses of too, and keep your hands clean, your risk would likely decrease significantly.  Unless you get a cancer mask ???? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Droplets can be airborne....  It's either droplets that have landed on some surface you touch, or droplets in the air that you breathe in, etc etc.  There's not much doubt about those methods of transmission for CV.

In general when people say airborne they mean aerosol, ie. the droplets are so small that thay stay suspended in the air. Think of clouds & rain: raindrops are "droplets", clouds are "aerosol".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol

An aerosol is a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets in air or another gas.

Not sure what the current information is, but a couple of weeks back they said SARS-CoV-2 can exist in an aerosol, no idea how long or in what conditions. Probably not very long in hot climate like Thailand, the tiny aerosolized droplets would dry out quickly.

2 hours ago, Redline said:

The best reason to wear a mask, is so you don’t touch your mouth and nose.  I read that most people touch their face 20 plus times an hour.  So, if you throw on a pair of glasses of too, and keep your hands clean, your risk would likely decrease significantly.  Unless you get a cancer mask ???? 

And ears have a canal to the nose as well, so no picking them either. Basically, keep your hands away from your head.

This might be effective and it's cheap too:

sick-dog-with-bandages-lying-and-wearing

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 2

"All types of masks reduced aerosol exposure, relatively stable over time, unaffected by duration of wear or type of activity, but with a high degree of individual variation. Personal respirators were more efficient than surgical masks, which were more efficient than home-made masks. Regardless of mask type, children were less well protected. Outward protection (mask wearing by a mechanical head) was less effective than inward protection (mask wearing by healthy volunteers)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/