The Health Benefits of Tomatoes

snoop1130

The Health Benefits of Tomatoes

by Expat Life

tomatoes-ft.jpg

Juicy and sweet, fresh tomatoes are a delicious addition to salads, while the canned variety can be used to make delicious sauces for pasta dishes, stews and curries. But did you know that tomatoes also pack a whole host of health benefits too?

Although often treated as a vegetable in cooking, the tomato is actually a fruit that belongs to the nightshade family, along with aubergines, peppers and potatoes. They come in a range of sizes and varieties from small cherry to big beef, and traditionally they’re red in colour but you can also get tomatoes in yellow, green, purple and orange.

What is the nutritional profile of tomatoes?

Tomatoes are mainly a carbohydrate with some fibre, but they are best known for their vitamin and mineral content which includes calcium, magnesium, beta-carotene (which becomes vitamin A when consumed), vitamins C and E, some B vitamins and vitamin K.

Are tomatoes good for heart health?

A hundred grams of tomatoes would provide about 6% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of potassium for adults. There is evidence that higher dietary potassium intake is associated with lower rates of stroke and may be associated with lower rates of heart disease.

Tomatoes also contain a compound called lycopene, which also gives them their red colour, and there is growing research into its properties and potential for reducing ‘bad’ cholesterol (LDL) and reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/food-and-drink/health-benefits-tomatoes/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand
  • Like 2

Tomatoes contain malic acid and citric acid and consuming too much of these could make your stomach too acidic and cause heart burn or acid reflux. Therefore it is recommended that those who suffer from digestive stress or have gastroesophageal reflux disease shouldn't eat too many tomatoes.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, madmen said:

Thailand has <deleted> tomatoes, not difficult to not eat to many 

Agree, the chemicals and dirty waters they absorb are the real danger of consuming them. Perhaps..... Organics

When I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer I was advised to eat products containing tomatoes as they contain Lycopene they said tinned tomatoes were best.

If you don’t have After Sun after sun bathing cut a tomato in half and rub the juice in, works wonders from past experience in the days I used to sunbathe.

10 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

When I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer I was advised to eat products containing tomatoes as they contain Lycopene they said tinned tomatoes were best.

If you don’t have After Sun after sun bathing cut a tomato in half and rub the juice in, works wonders from past experience in the days I used to sunbathe.

Beware tinned tomatoes or puree coz they are acidic and can absorb toxins from the can lining. Best use those in glass jars.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Tomatoes contain malic acid and citric acid and consuming too much of these could make your stomach too acidic and cause heart burn or acid reflux. Therefore it is recommended that those who suffer from digestive stress or have gastroesophageal reflux disease shouldn't eat too many tomatoes.

malic acid is good for your pancreas and citric acid is good for your KIDNEYS, to avoid stones

they are a NIGHTSHADE same as potatoes, that could be a problem for some, and they do contain lectins, the seeds & skin that is

the vitamin A is freed/better absorbed when cooked, hence ITALIAN pasta

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2020 at 9:32 AM, Card said:

Beware tinned tomatoes or puree coz they are acidic and can absorb toxins from the can lining. Best use those in glass jars.

Maybe a few years ago, not these days unless the can/tin has some physical damage or they are excessively old (like years)

On 3/5/2020 at 6:20 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

http://whale.to/cancer.html